PDA

View Full Version : How to know if I need a recessed lens board: Fujinon SWD 90mm F/5.6. on Sinar

Kleiny41
3-May-2018, 09:20
Hello Wise Friends!

I just purchased a Fujinon SWD 90mm F/5.6. lens from the bay. I'm currently out of lens boards and need to purchase an extra to accommodate this lens.
My question is- how do I know if I need a recessed lens board, and how many millimeters would I want?

Many thanks,
Amanda in DC

Louis Pacilla
3-May-2018, 09:46
Hey Amanda

What camera are using the 90mm w/? That matters greatly to whether or not you'll need a recessed board. Also, if your camera accepts bag bellows you can get a set and a flat board as you'll get the most out of the image circle that way and the controls for the shutter are much easier to access w/ a flat lens board.

OK my bad I see you using a Sinar so NO you don't want nor will need a recessed lens board just a good old flat Sinar lens baord in Copal 0 or 1 depending shutter size.

Oh yea I'm a Sinar user so I have a bit of experience w/ this makers cameras.

Dan Fromm
3-May-2018, 09:49
Step 1: Check the lens' specs. Flange-to-film distance, also called flange-focal distance. Link to links here: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?138978-Where-to-look-for-information-on-LF-(mainly)-lenses ("the list")

Step 2: Check the camera's specs. Minimum extension. Same place.

Step 3: Read and weep. The best solution is probably a bag bellows, with the lens on a flat board. Sinar F users here may give you better advice.

fotopfw
3-May-2018, 09:52
Hi Amanda,
I use the Grandagon 90mm on my Sinar (P2) with a flat lens board. I don't need the bag bellows if little movements are needed. I always have the bag bellows with me though because I also use the 75mm Super Angulon.

Kleiny41
3-May-2018, 10:27
Thanks all for your quick response! I use a Sinar F2 and a Sinar P2- this will probably more often used on the F2. I do have the bag bellows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pfsor
3-May-2018, 13:11
My question is- how do I know if I need a recessed lens board, and how many millimeters would I want?

Many thanks,
Amanda in DC

Just plainly curious - why don't you just put a lens board you have swapping it with your lens and see for yourself??

Kleiny41
3-May-2018, 14:59
Just because the lens hasn’t arrived yet. I was just planning for the arrival.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pfsor
3-May-2018, 15:06
That makes sense. Cheers!

Jac@stafford.net
3-May-2018, 15:11
Just because the lens hasn’t arrived yet. I was just planning for the arrival.

Fair enough! There are two Sinar bag-bellow types. I think if you have type #1 and a flat lens board you will be just fine with a 90mm. I use #2 for a 47mm XL which is more extreme.

Enjoy, be happy. All is good.