PDA

View Full Version : The return of film hasn’t hit LF camera prices yet, apparently.

rdenney
27-Apr-2018, 18:47
At a good camera store somewhere in Texas, I stopped in this afternoon to kill some time before meeting old friends for dinner. Nothing much in the used case, except this:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180428/44699f227247ad8dde36ff60d5caa285.jpg

A vintage Sinar P from the early 70’s. Near-perfect condition—all movements smooth, all gear tracks apparently unworn, no scratches, bellows good, lubricant not dried out, detents crisp—in a condition I would call EX++, using the KEH scale.

Priced very well at three bills.

Then, they brought out the “case and accessories” that were part of the package. It looks like a late Norma case adjusted to hold the P. Inside the case were three extension rods, bellows clips, four or five lens boards, a binocular viewer, fresnel, five film holders, a 6” extension rail, an 18” extension rail, a multipurpose standard (aka the front standard for an F), and a Wide Angle Bellows I.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180428/907ab90a9400a816288532f2e58fb4cf.jpg

The case is also in near-perfect condition.

Even the cost of shipping it home didn’t slow me down.

I need some weight training anyway.

Rick “my F2 now has a big brother” Denney

Bob Salomon
27-Apr-2018, 19:28
Enjoy! Looks like Arlington Camera!

asf
27-Apr-2018, 19:44
Nice find

All levels full?

This looks to be an early P which had these Norma style cases so it's likely the original complete set

rdenney
27-Apr-2018, 21:01
Enjoy! Looks like Arlington Camera!

No, Precision Camera in Austin. I’m familiar with Arlington Camera, but it’s been years.

Rick “and Precision Camera has moved twice in the 31 years since I lived in Austin” Denney

rdenney
27-Apr-2018, 21:01
Nice find

All levels full?

This looks to be an early P which had these Norma style cases so it's likely the original complete set

Only flaw: one empty spirit level out of four.

Rick “betting I can find a replacement easily” Denney

asf
27-Apr-2018, 21:06
Only flaw: one empty spirit level out of four.

Rick “betting I can find a replacement easily” Denney

They can be hard to find but Bob Watkins stocks them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark Sampson
27-Apr-2018, 21:16
Nice. Great deal. Hope you've got studio space to keep it in. Wait, wait, don't tell me- you're going backpacking with it!

rdenney
27-Apr-2018, 21:59
Nice. Great deal. Hope you've got studio space to keep it in. Wait, wait, don't tell me- you're going backpacking with it!

I’m going to hang it on a strap around my neck.

Rick “not really” Denney

Mark Sampson
27-Apr-2018, 22:18
Ahh, the Sinar UnHandy!
(with apologies to Daniel Unkefer)

Tin Can
28-Apr-2018, 01:47
Congratulations!

Orphans need love too.

Bob Salomon
28-Apr-2018, 03:21
No, Precision Camera in Austin. I’m familiar with Arlington Camera, but it’s been years.

Rick “and Precision Camera has moved twice in the 31 years since I lived in Austin” Denney

Good store, also explains the camera”s condition!

Daniel Unkefer
28-Apr-2018, 04:58
Ahh, the Sinar UnHandy!

Apology heartily accepted, Mark. :cool:
Hey Denney, nice rig. Put it on a hefty tripod.
Your Kievs will be so jealous.
-Dan (Hassydan)

John Kasaian
28-Apr-2018, 05:06
Cool camera, sir!
Use it in good health.

rdenney
28-Apr-2018, 06:01
Apology heartily accepted, Mark. :cool:
Hey Denney, nice rig. Put it on a hefty tripod.
Your Kievs will be so jealous.
-Dan (Hassydan)

Hey, Dan, the Kievs have lots more than that to be jealous of. (Speaking of which, I’m taking a roll call over at the Kiev Report.)

I already have a sufficiently beefy tripod with a Sinar tilt head and rail clamp semi-permanently mounted.

Rick “never a lightweight camera freak” Denney

rdenney
28-Apr-2018, 06:19
Ahh, the Sinar UnHandy!

That depends on how you look at it. And it’s not as if the Handy is all that handy.

What is occasionally unhandy for me is the three hands required to 1.) hold the front or back standard in position, 2.) hold the loupe to check focus, and 3.) using the third hand, adjust focus or tighten the relevant knobs. I have on several occasions lusted after self-locking geared controls.

I doubt the difference in weight between the P and the F1/F2 is all that great when inside a case that includes 15 pounds of accessories, light meter, lenses, film holders, roll film backs (my Sinar Vario Zoom back must weight as much as the camera), Blackjacket, etc. etc. I’m known to carry five lenses with me,none of which are lightweights.

I do sometimes worry about the joists holding up the floor of my camera closet, however.

Rick “noting the Sinar case has clips for shoulder straps (!)” Denney

Peter Collins
28-Apr-2018, 07:15
SOMEbody had to go buy it. Might as well have been you!

Bernice Loui
28-Apr-2018, 09:30
Sinar P...

One of the very best view cameras made, from a user, designer point of view and well constructed.

Bernice

Alan Gales
28-Apr-2018, 10:37
I had one along with a Tachihara before I moved up to 8x10. They are a joy to use unless you want to carry them around. Of course you have an F2 for that. Congratulations, Rick "Real Nice Sinar P" Denny! :)

Daniel Unkefer
28-Apr-2018, 17:03
That depends on how you look at it. And it’s not as if the Handy is all that handy.

Hey Rick,
Check out my homemade Norma Handy. ASAIK the only one of it's kind. Totally original from Norma parts.
I disagree with your statement (certainly not the first time we have disagreed!) :) regarding how "handy" it is.
Recently I fired off eighteen sheets of different architectural views, 4x5 sheet HP5+ in 45 minutes. Pretty darn Handy! They named it right!

"P" stands for "Perfection" and I'm guessing that is also named correctly by Sinar. I've heard it's a joy to use.
But a beast to carry around. Wonderful in the studio.

Enjoy the camera. Hopefully it is in proper adjustment and ready to use.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4692/39396426651_b3262020f7_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/232jZ6n)Sinar Handy with Strap and Cable Extension (https://flic.kr/p/232jZ6n) by Nokton48 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/), on Flickr

My Homemade Norma Sinar Handy. The 43mm Mamiya 7 Viewfinder is wonderful!

rdenney
29-Apr-2018, 10:41
Dan, is that a 65/8 Super Angulon on the Handy?

I have something similar—it’s called a Travelwide. Very light.

Rick “that was a joke; you can laugh” Denney

Daniel Unkefer
29-Apr-2018, 11:41
OK, Hah-Hah! :cool:

Yes it's a 65mm F8 #00 Super Angulon. In the Norma era it was in the original catalog (so it was of special interest to me); the Schneider Norma helical/lensboard is setup for that specific lens. It works well for me, I'd like to have the original 65mm F8 Super Angulon center filter too (they marked it as such) but the don't come along often. A fair amount of metal cutting went into making this camera; it was fun to build. The strap lugs are Pentax 6x7, and the grip Graflex XL. The frame is from a Norma Auxiliary Frame (compendium holder), flipped 90 degrees, with the threaded posts removed and tapped out.

-Dan, who runs as high speed B&W film (4x5 and 9x12) in this light little baby as is possible. I love it. It does attract attention on the street, however, in a good way. This takes me back to my crazy Kiev camera building days..........