PDA

View Full Version : my paper is bad: a followup

Ben Calwell
28-Aug-2005, 09:50
Just an update: A few days ago, I posted that my Ilford Gallerie FB 2 paper was bad because I was getting brown, mottled prints. Well, the paper is fine. My only theory as to what happened is that I used freshly mixed LPD that was still quite warm, and I used it at 1:1 dilution. On my second printing attempt yesterday, I used the same LPD (now cooled to room temp.) at a dilution of 1:2. The Galerie printed normally -- no problems. Either the hot developer (around 90 degrees) did something to the paper, or I shouldn't use LPD at 1:1 with Gallerie.

Donald Qualls
28-Aug-2005, 11:41
Well...

At least that's easy to test, though I'd guess temperature is a bigger problem than dilution. At higher temperatures, hydroquinone is more prone to oxidize (and stain), and may exceed the capacity of the preservative in the LPD -- then a paper that stains easily will show the mottling.

ronald moravec
28-Aug-2005, 14:04
I found developers need to rest 24 hours before use, any kind.

With D76 it is not even a matter of getting it to cool as I have force cooled with ice to 68 for about 90 and got really contrasty film.

Jonathan_5775
28-Aug-2005, 17:34
I seem to recall from first year general chemistry courses I took that ANY chemical reaction will proceed approximately 2X as rapidly for every 4-5 degrees increase in temperature (that'd be CELCIUS - of course!). So - if you're processing something in MUCH warmer dev - then, well... you can figure it out.

Brian Ellis
28-Aug-2005, 19:21
Never found any need to "rest" any developer for 24 hours. I always use developer (D76 for film, Ilford Universal for paper back in the old days) immediately upon mixing. I always bring the temperature of the working solution to 75 degrees (not 68, there's nothing magic about 68 degrees) from the 130 or so degrees at which the stock solution is mixed by using ice. That's never created any contrast or other problems.