PDA

View Full Version : Two terrible scratches on Wollensak Velostigmat 14"

Jac@stafford.net
23-Apr-2018, 16:42
Two profound scratches on front element of Wollensak Velostigmat ƒ/4.5 14" as if someone took a knife to it right smack dab in the middle of the lens. Dragging my fingernail across the scratches is felt. They are real. The scratches seem to have no negative effect, but what the heck to I know?

I am compiling an estate inventory to divest stuff.

This lens has been on a display 8x10 studio camera for about 22 years. I've made two pictures with it. It performs adequately and for soft-focus (SF) I modified the SF to extend way beyond design limit if one wishes.

Any suggestions as to what, if anything, I can do to this lens surface to minimize the effect of two scratches. I have no intention to fool a buyer, just to let him/her know that I have done all that can be done.

I did try India ink but it did not set. Any instruction would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,
Jac

mdarnton
23-Apr-2018, 16:55
Hate to say this, but the obvious answer is to lower the price until someone bites. Like it or not, such a flaw is considered serious by most prospective customers, whether it's a real problem or not. Not the case this time, but I say this as the guy who often is the one to bite, if the price is right, because I'm not as afraid of this kind of thing as others are because I use my equipment, not worry about theoretical problems, and I'm completely willing to take a lump once in a while. :-)
(And I've gotten some incredible deals this way, buying lenses where the seller was a little too scared!)

The bummer here is that the scratches are dead center. :-(

Thanks to the person here who sold me a 115mm Caltar/Grandagon for a bit over $200 because of a flaw I still haven't located, for instance. I didn't even want that lens, but I couldn't resist.

Gary Beasley
23-Apr-2018, 16:55
Any good black paint, preferably flat, will do the job. Its just there to keep light from being scattered by the sides of the scratch.

Jac@stafford.net
23-Apr-2018, 17:41
Hate to say this, but the obvious answer is to lower the price until someone bites. Like it or not, such a flaw is considered serious by most prospective customers, whether it's a real problem or not.

I understand. I will put in the inventory as $100, and let it be.

Thank you.

BrianShaw
24-Apr-2018, 00:47
Is this for estate valuation, liquidation, or insurance purposes? They are often done by different people/means and may result in different answers.

Jac@stafford.net
24-Apr-2018, 12:10
Is this for estate valuation, liquidation, or insurance purposes? They are often done by different people/means and may result in different answers.

I had not considered the differences, Brian. I'm not looking for valuation, of course. I will follow mdarton's guide and let the market decide. Ah, a surprise found in the box: it came with an Eastman portrait diffusion disk holder #1, with concentric soft filter. Very cool - soft over soft. :)

Thanks for making me curious of those things, Brian. And to Gary for his suggestion.