PDA

View Full Version : Is this backwards?

Pitcherman
22-Apr-2018, 07:44
I got this Korona 5x7 recently, and I am curious because it just looks funny to me. Is the camera supposed to be mounted the other way on the base? In other words should the the rear standard be mounted over the mounting plate? Thanks

Robert

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary Beasley
22-Apr-2018, 08:10
Well you do want the mount under the center of gravity and thats a big heavy lens. Thats a clever setup for a field camera, it doesnt make such a big difference which end move to focus and this way keeps the lens to subject distance unchanged which makes it easier at close distances.

Two23
22-Apr-2018, 08:19
Agree with above. I too have a Korona 5x7 and some big brass Petzvals.

Kent in SD

Jac@stafford.net
22-Apr-2018, 08:48
It is backwards on the tracks. It will likely fold up better if made right. See the screw hole on one side of the base? That's for an extension which is always considered the backside.

As an aside, you might want to shim the joint. As it is, the base and front rail bend.

Len Middleton
23-Apr-2018, 10:21
It is backwards on the tracks. It will likely fold up better if made right. See the screw hole on one side of the base? That's for an extension which is always considered the backside.

As the owner of one of its bigger ULF siblings, I concur with Jac.
If you mount it the correct way, the front extension will fold up, and on mine there is a clip on the folding rail that swings to hook onto a fastener in the wood on the top of the front standard.
It is quite common to be missing the rear extension rail.