PDA

View Full Version : 4x5 cambo convert to 35mm

kelly
27-Aug-2005, 01:14
yes i'm sorry to say it but i made the change to digital i've been shooting for almost 25 years and i love my job nothing better than shooting now people want it faster cheaper don't care about how it looks just record it so i have about 5 cambos 4x5 has any of you
put a 35mm camera on the back

GPS
27-Aug-2005, 06:57
But of course! Nothing beats a Cambo 4x5 with a 35 digital on the back. The best of both worlds!

evan clarke
27-Aug-2005, 07:03
I have an Arca 6x9 Fcompact. I made a rear mount to put my 1DsII on but the shortest focal length which will work is about 135-150mm. The images from my Canon tilt shift lenses are far superior to the Schneider 150 on my Arca..EC

Will Strain
27-Aug-2005, 16:48
I think Calumet even makes specific mounts for the various dSLRs. Tho I don't know if they are universal, or just for the Legends, or what...

Oren Grad
27-Aug-2005, 17:22
The mounts for dSLRs are for the Ultima 35, not for the Legend or the other older model Cambo 4x5 cameras. The Ultima 35 includes a bag bellows to minimize the lens-to-sensor distance, but it's still enough that the user is stuck with focal lengths that are quite long relative to the sensor diagonal. The only exception is the (expensive!) Schneider 28 Digitar, which is specified as having an exceptionally long flange-to-focal plane distance for such a short focal length.

John_4185
27-Aug-2005, 17:36
But of course! Nothing beats a Cambo 4x5 with a 35 digital on the back. The best of both worlds!

You are so out-of -touch concerning practice that you have finally won a positon in the killfile. If I were to post what I really think of your feeble, uninformed, idiotic, inexperienced, bullshit, unselfcritical point of view... why... oops... looks like I have! Never mind!

Brian C. Miller
27-Aug-2005, 21:18
Have you thought about renting/leasing a digital back designed specifically for LF cameras?

Enrico
28-Aug-2005, 02:24
your one big sentence didnt make sense. i dont think you get it either.

GPS
28-Aug-2005, 07:31
jj, don't worry too much. Some more year in a school and you will get the meaning of irony, you too.

Eric Rose
28-Aug-2005, 10:20
jj, your contributions (?) are not meaningful. They are also not in the spirit of the board. Please go away.

John_4185
28-Aug-2005, 10:37
eric rose jj, your contributions (?) are not meaningful. They are also not in the spirit of the board. Please go away.

I erred in sprit in the post in question, but please point me to the other "meaningless" contributions you claim I have made.

Eric Rose
28-Aug-2005, 18:51
jj, I stand corrected, I confused you with someone else. Your other posts are just fine, the one above must have been a small mental slip.

Kirk Gittings
28-Aug-2005, 21:11
I had Calumet demo the Ultima 35 for my Arch Photo class a couple of years ago and I have to say that the lense limitations and inability to rotate the back made the camera unusable for serious arch photography particularly at the price. Most arch. photo pros that are switching to digital are using full chip Canons with PC lenses.

Oren Grad
28-Aug-2005, 21:20
Kirk - Calumet says that you can mount a dSLR body vertically to the Ultima 35, but you need a separate mounting bracket to do it. Not very convenient, and more $$$ too.

So far as you've heard, has there been any interest among the architectural pros in the new digital version of the Cambo Wide DS? That can be equipped with the 24, 35 and 47 Schneider Digitars for a genuinely wide view on the various Leaf, P1 and Imacon backs.

Will Strain
28-Aug-2005, 22:42
"has there been any interest among the architectural pros in the new digital version of the Cambo Wide DS"

Some that I've seen... but the lack of swings is a real downer, and with most peeps I've talked to - a deal breaker.

Oren Grad
29-Aug-2005, 08:11
the lack of swings is a real downer

Good point... So is anyone actually using precision small view cameras with digital backs, like the Linhof 679, Sinar P3, or Arca-Swiss M, or is everyone just jumping to the Canon/TS combination?

John_4185
29-Aug-2005, 08:15
Mounting a 35mm (or DSLR) to a LF view camera back would have have the lens mount and mirror complex in the way of angular rays, putting the sensor in a cave. I can't imagine that it would offer the fleixiblity one needs with traditional LF lenses.

GPS
29-Aug-2005, 12:00
Putting a SRL to a LF camera has its advantages. It is useful for macro work (long bellows) or just when using long lenses, much lighter for LF than the 35mm long beasts. Sure you cannot use movements so much (if at all) but that doesn't mean the combination is useless.

Oren Grad
29-Aug-2005, 21:15
A new article on using a 6x9 view camera with digital back:

www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/digital-view.shtml (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/digital-view.shtml)