PDA

View Full Version : Need a cable release for a Compur shutter from a Zeiss Maximar 207/5

Paul Ron
20-Apr-2018, 18:05
I CLAed a shutter for a customer recently, its working good as new, very low milage camera.

The original cable release cant be found. Seems a regular cable release doesn't fit this shutter, the tip is too big and wrong thread.

Is there an adapter or a special cable available for this camera?

Jim Noel
21-Apr-2018, 06:48
These cable releases have tapered threads. Older European cables work, and are usually in better working condition than new ones from China, but they are getting harder to find.

Jac@stafford.net
21-Apr-2018, 09:13
I do not know if this helps. Frankly, when in the same situation I have to go through a big box until I find one that fits best, and if I find one I install it and leave it on the shutter so I don't got through the frustration again.

Bob Salomon
21-Apr-2018, 09:15
These cable releases have tapered threads. Older European cables work, and are usually in better working condition than new ones from China, but they are getting harder to find.

Just get a Gepe release, all are German with tapered threads.

Paul Ron
21-Apr-2018, 14:58
i found an old cable in my junk bin today left over from the 60s that fits perfectly. I compared it to my newer more expensive cables i have... seems quality control is a thing of the past. the old cable tip starts much thinner than the new cables for some reason. made in china vs USA?

problem solved. thanks

Jac@stafford.net
21-Apr-2018, 15:00
i found an old cable in my junk bin today [...]

The Junk Bin is our household savior! Good for you!
A small precision file is another friend of mine.

Paul Ron
21-Apr-2018, 15:00
I do not know if this helps. Frankly, when in the same situation I have to go through a big box until I find one that fits best, and if I find one I install it and leave it on the shutter so I don't got through the frustration again.

thats what i noticed when comparing my old cable to my so called top quality expensive cables. older cables were better made.