PDA

View Full Version : Ground glass install

dentkimterry
19-Apr-2018, 14:36
I bought a new old Century View camera from a private Party. When packaging it up he broke the ground glass. He shipped it anyway and ordered a new glass for me. Both arrived today. The new glass is rectangular without clipped corners. When I tried to install it I noticed the corners of the back are raised and the glass won't seat. This tells me the original glass had clipped corners. Should I get a new glass with clipped corners or is it OK to chisel the corners of the back out so the glass will fit? Or should I try to clip the corners on the glass myself? I have never had any luck cutting window glass myself!!!!

Terry in Kalamazoo

jose angel
19-Apr-2018, 14:49
Maybe you ask someone in a glasswork shop to cut it. It will take them one or two minutes.
Or you can cut the glass yourself... check your skills first on a glass photo frame. If you have a Dremel rotary tool, use a cutting disk to very slightly mark the cut, much easier for that small cuts than with the diamond hand cutting tool.

Pfsor
19-Apr-2018, 15:01
Don't strike the glass yourself - remember, it has 4 corners, the odds are against you. If you can get a new glass, if not let others do the job - the responsibility will be theirs.

Ron Stowell
19-Apr-2018, 15:13
Don't strike the glass yourself - remember, it has 4 corners, the odds are against you. If you can get a new glass, if not let others do the job - the responsibility will be theirs.

Had the same problem once before, I modified the ground glass frame ( very Sharp chisel ) by cleaning out the corners. Worked fine for me with no ill effects.
Original purpose of the clipped corners was to allow for bellows movement; not really a concern.

Pfsor
19-Apr-2018, 15:33
That's the "if Mohamed cannot go to the mountain, the mountain needs to go to Mohamed" approach. But it seems rather strange to mutilate your camera just so that a non correct glass can be used.
By the way, the clipped corners function is not to let the bellows breathe when moved, even if it sounds logically correct. The primary reason is to allow for vignetting control when lens movements are used. It's been discussed quite often on the forum.

dentkimterry
19-Apr-2018, 16:14
That's the "if Mohamed cannot go to the mountain, the mountain needs to go to Mohamed" approach. But it seems rather strange to mutilate your camera just so that a non correct glass can be used.
By the way, the clipped corners function is not to let the bellows breathe when moved, even if it sounds logically correct. The primary reason is to allow for vignetting control when lens movements are used. It's been discussed quite often on the forum.

You are so right. This is a beautiful camera in about 90% condition. Built around 1903-06. I will attempt to cut the corners of the glass. Jose's idea of using a Dremel sounds good to me. I never had any luck with the $3 glass cutters from Home Depot. The glass cost my seller $70 so I'm hoping not to muck it up!
Terry

Pfsor
19-Apr-2018, 16:33
I will attempt to cut the corners of the glass. Jose's idea of using a Dremel sounds good to me...
The glass cost my seller $70 so I'm hoping not to muck it up!
Terry

My conscience is clear, I have warned you. Jose promised me he will pay you 70$ if you "muck it up"...:)

Keith Fleming
19-Apr-2018, 17:47
I had the same problem once. I took it to a local window glass store, and they ground it down to fit in about 2 minutes. Such a small job they charged me nothing.

Keith

Jim Jones
19-Apr-2018, 19:16
You are so right. This is a beautiful camera in about 90% condition. Built around 1903-06. I will attempt to cut the corners of the glass. Jose's idea of using a Dremel sounds good to me. I never had any luck with the $3 glass cutters from Home Depot. The glass cost my seller $70 so I'm hoping not to muck it up!
Terry

I've cut a fair amount of glass (including ground glass) over many decades, and still wouldn't want to gamble on cutting a $70 GG.

rdenney
27-Apr-2018, 18:57
May be too late, but take it to a stained-glass studio or supply store. They can cut it and then grind the edges for safety. It’s an easy job, and the make far more intricate cuts routinely.

Rick “whose with is a professional stained-glass maker” Denney

rdenney
27-Apr-2018, 19:00
Had the same problem once before, I modified the ground glass frame ( very Sharp chisel ) by cleaning out the corners. Worked fine for me with no ill effects.
Original purpose of the clipped corners was to allow for bellows movement; not really a concern.

The real value of clipped corners is checking for lens coverage. If you can see the entire aperture through the corner, the coverage is sufficient.

Rick “bellows breathing was a secondary benefit—few cameras hold air well enough for it to be an issue” Denney

Bob Salomon
27-Apr-2018, 19:35
The real value of clipped corners is checking for lens coverage. If you can see the entire aperture through the corner, the coverage is sufficient.

Rick “bellows breathing was a secondary benefit—few cameras hold air well enough for it to be an issue” Denney

But then you can’t see what is in the corners unless you do additional direct displacements to check each corner. Linhof simply vented their backs so air could easily escape and you could still see all 4 corners.

rdenney
27-Apr-2018, 21:03
But then you can’t see what is in the corners unless you do additional direct displacements to check each corner. Linhof simply vented their backs so air could easily escape and you could still see all 4 corners.

It’s a trade off, but I’d rather be able to check for coverage.

Rick “personal preference” Denney

carylee2002
8-May-2018, 07:30
I had a local hardware store make my chipped corners for me at a nominal price and at the same time made me 3 extra glasses in which I grind them myself using this method and it turned out to be better than the original glass.

https://youtu.be/hxC48_sd6BM