PDA

View Full Version : dumb question about Sinar

Craig Wactor
26-Aug-2005, 16:07
How do you pronounce it? The guys at the photo store say it "see-nar", most photographers I know say "sI-nar".

Richard Schlesinger
26-Aug-2005, 17:18
Expensive!

David A. Goldfarb
26-Aug-2005, 18:19
I suppose at the factory those who are predominantly French speaking would say "see-NAR" and those who are predominantly German speaking might say "SEE-nar," but like most Americans, I tend to say "SI-nar" with a long "i."

Used Sinar stuff is shockingly cheap these days. I recently bought an 8x10" P for about the price of a Digital Rebel XT.

Oren Grad
26-Aug-2005, 18:35
"See", sez me.

Ellen Stoune Duralia
26-Aug-2005, 20:32
Interesting... LOL... I thought it was pronounced with a short 'i' like sinner but with the 'ar' ending.

Ling Z
26-Aug-2005, 21:42
Sinar stands for Studio, Industry, Nature, Architecture and Reproduction. So I think it should be pronouced with a short 'i' like 'industry".

Jonathan_5775
27-Aug-2005, 02:46
You say potato...

Well - having spent time in europe and knowing the general effect that complete disrespect of americans for foreign languages - I tend to be as sensitive as I can to this. But then, you know - it comes off to americans as being 'snobby'. So basically I USED to say SEE-nar but now I say SIN-ar just to compromise a little. You just can't EVER win, you know?? BTW - I believe sinars are made in the german speaking part of switzerland - which would indicate SEE-nar. But whateva, right?

robc
27-Aug-2005, 06:55
Just phone the factory and listen to how the locals say it.

GPS
27-Aug-2005, 07:01
It's very simple - pronounce it - SINAR. As simple as that.

Bob Salomon
27-Aug-2005, 07:30
When I was the Sinar salesman for EPOI we pronouned it just as it is spelled in American English. sigh nar. So did the factory people who would work with us.

That doesn't mean that in other countries that are not native English speakers wouldn't pronounce it in whatever way is more comfortable for them.

Same for Linhof, Gepe, Leica, Nikon, Zeiss, Rimowa, Rollei, etc.

It doesn't matter how you pronounce it all the matters to each company is that you buy and use it.

John Cook
27-Aug-2005, 08:12
Never been to Switzerland, so I can't help you.

But having spent much time with native Japanese photographic students in LA, I can attest that Nikon is definitely pronounced "Nee-kon" in Japan.

Back in those days, the second word my pals learned in English was "Ko-dock". My, how times change!

Armin Seeholzer
27-Aug-2005, 14:25
Hi all

I'm from the german speaking part of Switzerland and what L Zhu is correct and we here say the i not to short but the ar is definitly a bit longer then the i! But it doesn't matter as long as I understand it!

David G. Gagnon
27-Aug-2005, 17:58
Okay. Now we need to ask Bob S. how to pronounce EPOI.
How about it , Bob?

DG

Bob Salomon
27-Aug-2005, 18:36
Ehrenreich Photo Optical Inc.

Or EPOI

David Flockhart
28-Aug-2005, 00:08
In Aussie speak it's si (short vowel) nar - but why does it matter?

Jonathan_5775
28-Aug-2005, 02:15
I think it's been quite established that the swiss, including those working at the factory, and Koch himself - pronounce it SEE-nar. I thought we were bickering about how to pronounce it in america...?

robc
28-Aug-2005, 16:07
I see the problem.

The mainland Europeans pronounce I as e and E as eh, at least some of them do.

Now your confused aren't you...

just listen to any language course tapes for German. When you get to Y things go Greek (upsilon) which is really confusing because my dictionary (Oxford english of course) says upsilon is Greek for U.

Its a swiss camera spelt SINAR.

Oops I meant Suisse or did I mean Helvetian. Damn I had better start a thread about it so as to be sure.

Tomato, Tomato, Potato, Potato, the question says it all...

DaddyWarbucks
7-Jul-2010, 00:55
Aside from my Sinar rep calling it SEE-nar, in the late eighties I went to a demo seminar with the young man (I guess he was Koch's son) who was heading up the company.

He also pronounced it SEE-nar. So I guess that's as close to an authoritative answer as you can get.

More interestingly, he described what his company this way:

“Here’s the photography market.” (He drew a pyramid.)
“Here’s the professional segment.” (He drew a line near the top of the pyramid.) “Here’s the large format segment.” (He drew a line cutting off all but a tiny top.)
“Here’s the premium large format market.” (He drew a line lopping all but an infinitesimal top of the pyramid.)
“That’s our business.”

I’ve got a Mercedes, but that’s a mass-market vehicle by comparison!

rdenney
7-Jul-2010, 05:14
Aside from my Sinar rep calling it SEE-nar, in the late eighties I went to a demo seminar with the young man (I guess he was Koch's son) who was heading up the company.

He also pronounced it SEE-nar. So I guess that's as close to an authoritative answer as you can get.

I suppose after five years since the previous post in this thread, people might still be curious.

Rick "who has pronounced it both ways, with the implied 'prove me wrong'" Denney