PDA

View Full Version : SP-445 Just Arrived

geralde.givens
18-Apr-2018, 13:05
After doing a bunch of research, I finally took the plunge and placed the order about 8 days ago and it arrived this morning.

Ive just developed a single sheet and its hanging to dry.

Questions:
I did notice that after removing the film from the holder, only one side was under the lugs. Apart from plenty of practice, any tips for ensuring the film is properly inserted into the holder.

I watched Tim's video and he put wetting agent into the tank at the end. I did read somewhere where someone said not to add Photo-Flo into the tank but do this in a separate dish.
Are there any disadvantageous of putting Photo-Flo into the tank.

Ulophot
18-Apr-2018, 13:36
I insert the film as I would into a film holder: two fingers on the guide ends to make sure the film forward edge goes under them. In the 445 holder, after feeling to make sure the film is under the little bottom holder, I slide a finger up each side to make sure the film is under all the holder guides. It always has been, so far, though sometimes it may get caught momentarily on the way in.

The Photoflo issue will excite controversy, probably. My two cents is that it may be hard to rinse off after it has dried, but a thorough rinse of the tank immediately after use, hot water preferred, should be fine. I have used that with my stainless steel reels for decades. That said, since only a few sheets fit in the tank, I use a 4x5 tray I happen to have, for the wetting agent, rather than filling the tank. That way, it's ready to dry for a next batch while the film is in the small tray.

esearing
21-Apr-2018, 04:19
I found the force of wash water if used straight from tap would cause the film to slip from holder. Normal fill and dump doesn't seem to unless you are an extreme agitator.

Dry under the tabs/lugs between back to back sessions to avoid the tab areas not developing.

Apply a small amount of Vaseline to the O-ring and your top will be more water tight and slip on easier.
Don't exceed the fill line/tab even after squeezing to avoid dripping and to promote better movement during agitation.

callmebrick
23-Apr-2018, 09:18
Dry under the tabs/lugs between back to back sessions to avoid the tab areas not developing.

A hair dryer on low or no heat makes this easy.

ericantonio
23-Apr-2018, 09:40
I use the sp-445 as well and it is the best thing I've used for 4x5. For "flo" I take it out, and I have one of those cheap square 4x5 tanks that holds like a dozen sheet film. Not sure what they are called but it's basically a square box with a hole on top. Sucks for processing film actually but they are GREAT FOR washing film and flo'ing.

Oh wait, I found an image of what I'm talking about.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/static/images/product/4945/md/4945.jpg

Peter Collins
23-Apr-2018, 14:54
Another piece of free advice: When storing the tank, do not leave the top on, in the closed position. Leave the top off. Let the O-ring relax without compression, and it will go a long way to making the tank watertight during agitation next time you use it. That, and the Spearman's advice about squeezing air out of the tank before capping to induce a slight vacuum.

esearing
24-Apr-2018, 04:25
I use the sp-445 as well and it is the best thing I've used for 4x5. For "flo" I take it out, and I have one of those cheap square 4x5 tanks that holds like a dozen sheet film. Not sure what they are called but it's basically a square box with a hole on top. Sucks for processing film actually but they are GREAT FOR washing film and flo'ing.

+1 as a washer, also good if used as stand development tanks. Metal film hangers also work for washing.

rdenney
24-Apr-2018, 06:00

Oh wait, I found an image of what I'm talking about.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/static/images/product/4945/md/4945.jpg

That is an old Yankee tank. It's fine for Photoflo but worthless for developing, and I have the streaky negatives to prove it.

I have a pair of the SP-445 tanks but have to confess I've run no film through them. They look to be much easier than the Jobo 2551 tank I had been using.

Rick "finding nothing better than film hangers and deep tanks, but without a darkroom where that is a possibility since about 1998" Denney