PDA

View Full Version : Linhof V, modifications, and 65mm lenses

Bipin
16-Apr-2018, 14:12
The other day I got a cosmetically beat-up Tech V for next to nothing (nearly free). I enjoy restoring cameras, and I feel like this will be my main shooter.

One of my favourite lenses is a 65mm f/4.5 Grandagon (flange focal distance of 70mm) though I've read that the Technika V can only take 65mm lenses on the close focusing device. As the camera stands, it ain't pretty, so I wouldn't feel bad about doing some drastic modifications to the body if needed. Ideally, I'd like to couple my 65mm to the RF (I have experience camming Technika 70 lenses, and I imagine the experience is much the same with a Tech V). I shoot at night a lot, and am in the process of building a FocuSpot out of a laser pointer, so coupling would be very beneficial.

One other option I've explored is using this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Linhof-Technika-Upgrade-Kit-Wide-Angle-Track-Strut-f-IV-New-Camera-Accessory/111973636856?hash=item1a12261af8:g:nOwAAOSwMmBV1uvG Does anyone have experience with these "new" aftermarket focusing rails? I shoot with angle-A LOT, so getting some use out of this isn't an issue, but are there easier ways to use a 65mm on this camera? This doesn't solve the issue of wanting rise with such a short focal length, for that I imagine I'd still have to cut a flap in the top of the camera?

Some thoughts and suggestions would be much appreciated! :)

Bob Salomon
16-Apr-2018, 14:25
This appears to offer the function of the discontinued Master Technika 2000 which lets you focus 65 and wider lenses inside the camera housing by sliding the lever left to right. That would be done while looking through the ground glass with your hand almost in front of the lens.
There are no cams for anything shorter then the 72mm lens. I was the Linhof Product Manager from 1980 to 2015 and during that time I never heard of anyone coupling a 65 to the camera!

Bipin
16-Apr-2018, 15:12
Thanks Bob, perhaps I'll consider that eBay item then. I'd be interested to know what user experiences are like with that thing.

By the way, what is the proper way to use a 75mm lens on the Tech V? I have a 75mm f/4.5 Nikkor (flange focal: 80mm) on a 11mm recessed board?

Corran
16-Apr-2018, 20:07
I messaged the person selling that item on eBay some time ago, and though it was difficult to converse (non-native speaker there), from what I gather the kit will make the RF inoperable. I didn't want to install/uninstall that thing anytime I wanted to use my Technika normally so I passed. If I was dedicated a body to non-RF imaging I would do it though. But that's called my Chamonix, not Linhof :). Good luck!

Bipin
16-Apr-2018, 20:20
I messaged the person selling that item on eBay some time ago, and though it was difficult to converse (non-native speaker there), from what I gather the kit will make the RF inoperable. I didn't want to install/uninstall that thing anytime I wanted to use my Technika normally so I passed. If I was dedicated a body to non-RF imaging I would do it though. But that's called my Chamonix, not Linhof :). Good luck!

That could very well be a deal-breaker for me, so THANK YOU for that little piece of information! I have a 65 and a new 75 as well... I guess it might be time to sell that 65 Grandagon!

Bob Salomon
16-Apr-2018, 23:37
That could very well be a deal-breaker for me, so THANK YOU for that little piece of information! I have a 65 and a new 75 as well... I guess it might be time to sell that 65 Grandagon!

Why not investigate getting the 2000, the 3000 or one of the TK models and then you could go even wider, if desired!

Bipin
17-Apr-2018, 07:59
Why not investigate getting the 2000, the 3000 or one of the TK models and then you could go even wider, if desired!

Hah, I sincerely wish I could! Unfortunately, a student budget is not conducive to that, which is how I could afford the cosmetically beat-up Tech V. Some day though... The TK has always interested me.

Neal Chaves
22-Apr-2018, 12:06
Even though the shortest factory cam blank for the IV, V and Master was for 75mm lenses, it can easily be cut for a 65mm. I even had a 58 cam-coupled on a Master. The lens sits in a recessed board on a retracted track with the bed dropped. Use will be strictly horizontal and no movements are possible with a 65mm on 4X5 anyway.

Bipin
22-Apr-2018, 21:42
Even though the shortest factory cam blank for the IV, V and Master was for 75mm lenses, it can easily be cut for a 65mm. I even had a 58 cam-coupled on a Master. The lens sits in a recessed board on a retracted track with the bed dropped. Use will be strictly horizontal and no movements are possible with a 65mm on 4X5 anyway.

Yeah, that definitely makes sense - I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to couple any lens, so long as it fits on the camera and you can cut the right curve for the cam. According to this (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenses/LF6x12cm.html) I should have a decent amount of movement with my 65/4.5 Grandagon. I use my 4x5 cameras for 6x12 panoramas the vast, vast majority of time. :)

Neal Chaves
23-Apr-2018, 20:32
When fitting a lens less than 75mm for RF operation, the front standard will be very close to end of the retracted slide, and may even overhang a bit. The stock recessed lensboard may not be deep enough. They have an internal cup that holds the lens forward about 1/4". For the 58, I had to remove that cup and put a flat plate drilled for the shutter in its place. The 58 was in a 00 shutter so there was plenty of room to hook up the Linhof quick cable release mechanism. A 65 in a 00 shutter would certainly work, but I am not sure if you could do the same with an 0, there might not be enough room. On a V, without the flap, you are not going be able to raise a 65 in any case.

Jim Andrada
24-Apr-2018, 15:56
Even with a flap, bellows compression won't allow much movement. Even with a 75 it's pretty minimal.

Bob Salomon
24-Apr-2018, 15:58
When fitting a lens less than 75mm for RF operation, the front standard will be very close to end of the retracted slide, and may even overhang a bit. The stock recessed lensboard may not be deep enough. They have an internal cup that holds the lens forward about 1/4". For the 58, I had to remove that cup and put a flat plate drilled for the shutter in its place. The 58 was in a 00 shutter so there was plenty of room to hook up the Linhof quick cable release mechanism. A 65 in a 00 shutter would certainly work, but I am not sure if you could do the same with an 0, there might not be enough room. On a V, without the flap, you are not going be able to raise a 65 in any case.
Neal, the Linhof recessed boards are no longer made that way.

Bob Salomon
24-Apr-2018, 16:02
Yeah, that definitely makes sense - I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to couple any lens, so long as it fits on the camera and you can cut the right curve for the cam. According to this (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenses/LF6x12cm.html) I should have a decent amount of movement with my 65/4.5 Grandagon. I use my 4x5 cameras for 6x12 panoramas the vast, vast majority of time. :)

Well, a couple of reasons:

1 the front standard might be so far back that it ends up in an unstable position on the front rails.
2 it might end up inside the camera housing and that doesn’t have focus rails on any Technika except the 2000
And 3000. And those two do not have a rangefinder.

Bipin
25-Apr-2018, 18:21
I bought some recessed boards the other day! Doing the math regarding their recess and the flange-focal distance of my 65mm, I should be able to focus at infinity with the standard partway on the bed rails (it still holds securely though, with no play). However, I will get very limited rise. Since this camera is quite a beater, cosmetically, I wouldn't mind doing a bit of DIY work on it. I have access to a machine shop, so what would be stopping me from making my own Technika 3000-esque flap?

Right now I can think of two things; the bellows, as Jim said...

Even with a flap, bellows compression won't allow much movement. Even with a 75 it's pretty minimal.

...and the lock which keeps the bed closed against the body. Obviously if the flap can't be secured to its initial position, that lock is useless. In any case, I was thinking of getting new, custom bag bellows anyways. I've done this for field cameras before and it has worked out really well for my taste in lenses. so besides those few points, what other issues might I run into? I got this camera for dirt cheap, so I don't mind a bit of experimentation!

Bob Salomon
25-Apr-2018, 18:35
I bought some recessed boards the other day! Doing the math regarding their recess and the flange-focal distance of my 65mm, I should be able to focus at infinity with the standard partway on the bed rails (it still holds securely though, with no play). However, I will get very limited rise. Since this camera is quite a beater, cosmetically, I wouldn't mind doing a bit of DIY work on it. I have access to a machine shop, so what would be stopping me from making my own Technika 3000-esque flap?

Right now I can think of two things; the bellows, as Jim said...

...and the lock which keeps the bed closed against the body. Obviously if the flap can't be secured to its initial position, that lock is useless. In any case, I was thinking of getting new, custom bag bellows anyways. I've done this for field cameras before and it has worked out really well for my taste in lenses. so besides those few points, what other issues might I run into? I got this camera for dirt cheap, so I don't mind a bit of experimentation!

Go to the factory web site and download the Master Technika manual and learn how the flap works

Bipin
26-Apr-2018, 09:27
Go to the factory web site and download the Master Technika manual and learn how the flap works

Right now I've been going off pictures I can find of it, which are few and far between. Will give it a read, thanks Bob.