PDA

View Full Version : Ilford Price Increase

tgtaylor
14-Apr-2018, 18:21
I just read about this on apug: https://www.photrio.com/forum/threads/ilford-price-increase-announced-april-13-2018.159015/ The new price for 8x10 Delta 100 will be $161 - up from $114 - supposedly effective Monday, 16 April. It's currently out of stock at B&H with "more on the way" and I put 2 boxes in the cart at the old price which B&H will honor if this is not a hoax.

Thomas

paulbarden
14-Apr-2018, 18:25
I just read about this on apug: https://www.photrio.com/forum/threads/ilford-price-increase-announced-april-13-2018.159015/ The new price for 8x10 Delta 100 will be $161 - up from $114 - supposedly effective Monday, 16 April. It's currently out of stock at B&H with "more on the way" and I put 2 boxes in the cart at the old price which B&H will honor if this is not a hoax.

Thomas

The new price listing is the MSRP, NOT what retailers actually sell for. At $161. that would be an ideal markup for the retailer, but none of the retailers I know sell for MSRP. I bought a box of FP4+ in 8x10 today and was told by the merchant that the price hike would result in perhaps another $5 or $7 added to current prices. So don't panic. You are not going to be paying $161 for a box anytime soon.

Oren Grad
14-Apr-2018, 18:47
The spreadsheet that was linked in the PHOTRIO post includes the dealer net prices too. But even that's not the end of the story - most of the films are indicated as being eligible for a rebate program which is presumably volume-based.

We'll find out for sure soon enough, but I think it's realistic to expect percentage increases in the range that Paul has mentioned just above.

tgtaylor
14-Apr-2018, 18:48
According to the spread sheet for 35mm Delta 100 36 exp:
DP100, 35MM, 36 EXP* 019498780622 10 100 S $6.30 $9.69
The dealers price is $6.30 and the MSRP in $9.69. The current price on B&H is $6.95.

I wasn't planning on buying film when I got home this afternoon but I am down to the last 18 sheets of Acros so if I save $10 or $90 this is a good time to order it. Ilford's notice is dated Friday, 13 April and B&H closes early on Fridays so they might not have had a chance to react to it yet.

Thomas

Leigh
14-Apr-2018, 19:38
...I am down to the last 18 sheets of Acros so if I save $10 or $90 this is a good time to order it.? ? ?

ACROS is a Fuji product, not an Ilford product.

- Leigh

Oren Grad
14-Apr-2018, 20:11
Ilford's notice is dated Friday, 13 April and B&H closes early on Fridays so they might not have had a chance to react to it yet.

The cover letter from Harman says that the dealer price increases are effective April 16th, and the spreadsheet is dated for the same. Each retailer will have its own policy as to whether it will apply the increase to current stock or wait until they need to reorder at the new price.

tgtaylor
12-Jun-2018, 13:05
I
Just noticed that B&H raised the price for Delta 100 from $109.95 to $136.95 a box so I ended up saving about fifty bucks on the 2 boxes I ordered. Still have 6 sheets of Acros remaining. I'm going to miss Across but it won't be so bad with the Fisker hole punch.

Thomas

Thalmees
21-Jun-2018, 08:41
Unfortunately, it has been expected since March 2017, when Kodak increased price.
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?137828-The-Film-Pricing-Thread
Sadly, Ilford photographic Paper prices also increased.
Regardless number of sheets per box, Per sheet 4X5 prices:
Arista Ortho(3.9X4.9): $0.27
Shanghai(direct if the below offer still valid): $0.92
Arista Edu: $1
Fomapan100: $1
Shanghai(ebay): $1.15
Pancro400: $1.25
FP4+: $1.46
HP5+: $1.5
Delta100: $1.6
Ilf Ortho: $1.8
TMx: $2
RPX: $2
TXP: $2.4
TMY2: $2.6
Of course, the recent increase of Ilford prices(Paper & Film), will increase also instability of the whole market film prices.
Expect to say goodby to a $1 per sheet era soon!
If that happened, while we still see revival of photography since few years, it means an irreversible declining of the whole market.
As we all go older with time, become unable to carry LF kit, need the money for our health or children, I think it's advisable to keep a medium format kit in case the transition from LF to MF is the only way to keep you photographer in the least meaning.
As per this moment of time, we still can enjoy photography at less than $0.5 per shot(Arista/Foma 120 Roll: $4.29).
Would like to add:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?145461-Shanghai-Film-Available-from-ecbuyonline2008&highlight=Shanghai

Dear buyer,
Here is "ecbuyonline2008" from eBay. We are specialized in camera accessories from 120 folding camera to any Large Format and ultra large format camera, and there is a certain prestige on ebay and large format forums. We noticed that you may interested in films for you had purchased related items from our store before. So I contact you.
Our company successfully got the agency rights of Shanghai Film, to express our gratefulness to all of our customers, we will launch a series of promotions about Shanghai films. Below is the quotations for DIRECT DEALS. If you and your friends happen to need it, welcome to contact us for more information. We accept PayPal, Western Union, bank transfer, etc.
And, we intend to find a reliable overseas agent, we will have more new items in the future. If you also interested in it, we can give you the best price.
http://stevemidgleyphotography.com/Brand.JPG
NOTE: If you are interested in the above items, please reply in the following form:
Item name, format + Quantity + Your country + Your questions.
If there hasn’t suitable size for you, we also provide custom cutting, for any size! minimum order 100 sheets!
We will count the shipping fees according to your country, based on actual shipping charges.
Thanks for your time, and looking forward for your reply :-)
Best regards,
ecbuyonline2008

Alan9940
21-Jun-2018, 13:50
I believe those GP3 prices posted above were a promotional thing. I just recently bought some GP3 120 rolls and they were definitely NOT $3.20 per roll.

tgtaylor
21-Jun-2018, 17:08
Thanks to today's Supreme Court ruling, the online price for film will be increasing. For me here in California that equates to about a 10% price hike.

Thomas

interneg
23-Jun-2018, 01:34
Of course, the recent increase of Ilford prices(Paper & Film), will increase also instability of the whole market film prices.
Expect to say goodby to a $1 per sheet era soon!
If that happened, while we still see revival of photography since few years, it means an irreversible declining of the whole market.
As we all go older with time, become unable to carry LF kit, need the money for our health or children, I think it's advisable to keep a medium format kit in case the transition from LF to MF is the only way to keep you photographer in the least meaning.
As per this moment of time, we still can enjoy photography at less than $0.5 per shot(Arista/Foma 120 Roll: $4.29).

Oh, for goodness sake - not again! This is the attitude of the cheapskate dilettante. Photography is expensive, large format even more so, but even then, it's cheaper than a lot of art materials.

Greg Y
23-Jun-2018, 08:01
Well-said Interneg. If the prices of food & fuel and other commodities rise, how can we expect film prices to stay static? Photography as an art, pastime or hobby, whichever you choose to identify with, is much cheaper than many others.

koraks
23-Jun-2018, 16:14
Still, some of us are deliberate in every single exposure, getting it just right and then the costs of, say, TMY aren't such an issue. But others like to have the freedom to expose without having to worry about costs. It's a shame if we whine about costs; it's equally about shame if we miss an image because we're not entirely sure about if it'll work and we therefore decide to save the sheet for later. Different strokes for different folks!

Vaughn
23-Jun-2018, 22:33
I just ordered 3 boxes of Ilford FP4+ 8x10 from B&H. $109.90 a box, no shipping charge, no tax. Ordered on Thursday, should be here in my area of the left coast by Tuesday.

pjd
24-Jun-2018, 04:13
25 sheets of Delta 100 in 8x10 is 286,000 won in Seoul at the official Ilford stockist (at present, $257 according to xe.com). It's £144.32 at Silverprint ($190). Who is actually buying Ilford 8x10 outside the USA? Even with price raises, Americans are getting a far better deal than anyone else. Be thankful for what you've got!

tgtaylor
25-Jun-2018, 15:13
At present I can afford the price of 8x10 film but the supreme court ruling on internet tax right on top of the Ilford price increase raised my price for a box of Delta 100 from $117 to $154. That's a hefty increase in my opinion. If you're unable to work and living on a fixed income like social security you will feel it.

Thomas

faberryman
25-Jun-2018, 15:18
At present I can afford the price of 8x10 film but the supreme court ruling on internet tax right on top of the Ilford price increase raised my price for a box of Delta 100 from $117 to $154. That's a hefty increase in my opinion. If you're unable to work and living on a fixed income like social security you will feel it.
Film is not going to get any cheaper.

tgtaylor
25-Jun-2018, 21:46
Definitely not going to get any cheaper. Although its cost is not an issue for me I find myself being more conservative in its use and have been resisting the urge to take that 2d negative for "insurance." Shoot, if a scratch gets on the negative I can take it out at printing.

Thomas

Thalmees
5-Jul-2018, 11:17
I believe those GP3 prices posted above were a promotional thing. I just recently bought some GP3 120 rolls and they were definitely NOT $3.20 per roll.
Hope the following quote can help.

, the email for the seller is ecbuyonline@foxmail.com
Below, confirmed prices again:

Regardless number of sheets per box, Per Sheet 4X5 prices:
Arista Ortho(3.9X4.9): $0.27
Shanghai(direct/No Ebay): $0.92
Arista Edu: $1
Fomapan100: $1
Shanghai(ebay): $1.15
Pancro400: $1.25
FP4+: $1.46
HP5+: $1.5
Delta100: $1.6
Ilf Ortho: $1.8
TMx: $2
RPX: $2
TXP: $2.4
TMY2: $2.6

A friend ordered for me some 4X5 film plus 120 Rolls, just arrived.
Super careful packaging, triple packaging(plus courier envelope), fresh batch of film and a clear printed warning message to Customs not to open light sensitive materials in the most internal packaging material.
Checked invoices, and yes $23 per 25 sheets of 4X5 film, and $3.2 per 120 roll, plus reasonably priced Express service.
I should say: Trustworthy Professional group.
Wish the seller maintain the same prices.
Price of almost 3 sheets of Shanghai film for the price of only one(1) sheet of TMY2 film.
That's really big gap.
BTW and IMHO,
Herd mentality may be good horse for politics and commerce, But not good for Artists at all.
In this community(and any photography based community), I believe it's good for the future and wellbeing of film and much appropriate, to encourage emerging manufacturers and who keep lower price for the longest possible time.
While film market leaders keep escalating prices, hopefully only few still can not realize that the biggest thread(if not one of) in this LFPF forum IS about using X-ray as a photographic medium! Let alone realizing WHY? and HOW?
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?48099-Use-of-X-ray-film-technical-discussion-with-example-images
Started: April 2009.
Number of posts: Approaching 5100 posts, so far.
My 2c.

Joshua Dunn
5-Jul-2018, 11:56
Check it out! (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/108315-REG/Ilford_1743490_Delta_100_Professional_8x10_25.html) Ilford 8x10 is back down to $114.95!

-Joshua

interneg
6-Jul-2018, 03:56
Hope the following quote can help.

Below, confirmed prices again:

A friend ordered for me some 4X5 film plus 120 Rolls, just arrived.
Super careful packaging, triple packaging(plus courier envelope), fresh batch of film and a clear printed warning message to Customs not to open light sensitive materials in the most internal packaging material.
Checked invoices, and yes $23 per 25 sheets of 4X5 film, and $3.2 per 120 roll, plus reasonably priced Express service.
I should say: Trustworthy Professional group.
Wish the seller maintain the same prices.
Price of almost 3 sheets of Shanghai film for the price of only one(1) sheet of TMY2 film.
That's really big gap.
BTW and IMHO,
Herd mentality may be good horse for politics and commerce, But not good for Artists at all.
In this community(and any photography based community), I believe it's good for the future and wellbeing of film and much appropriate, to encourage emerging manufacturers and who keep lower price for the longest possible time.
While film market leaders keep escalating prices, hopefully only few still can not realize that the biggest thread(if not one of) in this LFPF forum IS about using X-ray as a photographic medium! Let alone realizing WHY? and HOW?
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?48099-Use-of-X-ray-film-technical-discussion-with-example-images
Started: April 2009.
Number of posts: Approaching 5100 posts, so far.
My 2c.

You're clearly clueless about the severe limitations of x-ray films for non x-ray purposes & there is no indication that the supply of Shanghai film is in any way assured even in the very short term - it went off the market for a considerable period of time while the factory moved & their QC was never as good as it could be (hopefully it has improved). TMY-II (let alone Portra) is a vastly more sophisticated product than GP3 which uses technology that was mature 50-60 years ago - realistically it's a 40-50 speed material with grain at the level of current films a stop or two faster. First rate art materials are expensive & always have been. Deal with it. There's nothing stopping you using GP3 or x-ray film, but don't expect it to match the quality of TMY-II or FP4+ etc. If you want to waste hours of your life fiddling with x-ray materials, go ahead - or pay your money, buy a box of regular film & get on with making images.

Vaughn
18-Jul-2018, 11:13
Check it out! (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/108315-REG/Ilford_1743490_Delta_100_Professional_8x10_25.html) Ilford 8x10 is back down to $114.95! -Joshua

FP4 Plus, 8x10, is now up to $130 at B&H. I recently received from B&H three boxes of 8x10 PF4+ that I paid $110 per box for. Since the price was going up, I thought I would stock up. I go to the fridge to put away the 3 new boxes to find I must of had the same thought not too long ago -- there were three boxes of 8x10 FP4+ already in there with the same expiry date on them! Boy -- pretty nice having 6 boxes of 8x10 film in the fridge!

PS -- x-ray film can be very nice to use as a 'conventional' film.

tgtaylor
18-Jul-2018, 11:33
I think the current B&H price for Delta 100 is temporary and will be raised back to its previous price upon exhaustion of the current order. The price increase notice was widely disseminated on the web which specifically stated that current orders wouldn't be effected. At the time B&H had Delta 100 on back order and those orders were fulfilled at the original web price. After a little while the price was raised and I suspect that it brought a backlash if the product emulsion code was identical with the older order. Just speculating.

Thomas

Jim Fitzgerald
18-Jul-2018, 13:41
I added some FP-4 in 8x10 as well at 110 a box. This adds to the 6 boxes of 50 sheet Efke 25 in my freezer. One can never have enough film.

Michael Kadillak
18-Jul-2018, 15:19
I choose to look at the bright side. At least we have very high quality film options. The film you are acquiring at low costs will eventually be consumed and one is back at the decision point which as far as I am concerned is what it is. Eventually the price increase comes home to roost. If you are constantly thinking of costs how in God's name can you be an artist? I photograph what I feel I want to photograph when I chose to do so. When I shop for film I look for a fair price, buy a pile of it and move on. The purchase hopefully keeps the wheels of commerce moving. Fact. I have never seen current manufactured film go down in price. LF and particularly ULF are investment entry points to be in the game beyond our control and investments in chemistry and darkroom time that cost real money from beginning to end. Onward!

Vaughn
18-Jul-2018, 20:17
In college (1977 to 1981) I could only afford to take a photo class one quarter (9 weeks) a year. I would save up enough money from working a long summer break and buy all my paper (Portriga Rapid 111 and Ilford Gallery Glossy...both Grade 3, 16x20), a bunch of 4x5 film, and a pack of 25 sheets of 32x40 4-ply rag board for the quarter and then use it up over the course of the quarter. Once the quarter started, I did not have to think about the cost of the material or having to decide between art and food. It was only photograph and make/mount prints -- plus whatever other classes I was taking and a lot of basketball. I cut window mats for students and faculty for beer.

Since I have to mail-order now anyway, I still tend to buy larger amounts -- and enjoy knowing I have plenty of material I need to work with stashed away!