PDA

View Full Version : Light leak issue with Deardorff

Northstar
6-Apr-2018, 01:05
Hello all,

I’ve shot a few frames now, and all have the same issue. It appears that the leak is coming from the top of the neg in camera.

I’ve attached two example I shot last week. Same film holder different sides. (Ektar and Tmax if you were wondering).

Do you think the problem is with the camera or film holder?

Luis-F-S
6-Apr-2018, 06:51
A negative holder leak is pretty simple to find just load paper leave it out and develop it and see if it exposed a leak. I always put black masking tape between the rear bellows frame and the rear Deardorff frame to close the gap between the two. That could also be a source of your problem.

paulbarden
6-Apr-2018, 06:57
Question: do you use your free hand to hold the spring back tight to the rear standard (clamping the film holder tight to the standard)as you pull the dark slide? When I bought my Deardorff last year, I had light leak problems similar to this in my first few times I took it outdoors, and it was because I was a bit careless how I pulled the dark slide.

Louis Pacilla
6-Apr-2018, 09:10
Question: do you use your free hand to hold the spring back tight to the rear standard (clamping the film holder tight to the standard)as you pull the dark slide? When I bought my Deardorff last year, I had light leak problems similar to this in my first few times I took it outdoors, and it was because I was a bit careless how I pulled the dark slide.

I agree w/ Paul's assessment. To me from the look of the light leaks it does not appear to be the bellows or holders leaking but instead an operator error. Happily that's the easiest type of light leak to fix. I would do as Paul suggest and I bet your light leak troubles will be solved.

Tracy Storer
8-Apr-2018, 09:15
What kind of holder is it? What is the darkslide cover made of, metal, plastic, or wood? Moulded, riveted, or screwed in place? Look closely there. (The darkslide cover is also where the lock-rib is located on the holder)
It COULD also be the holder is pulling away from the camera when you remove the slide as others have suggested.

Northstar
13-Apr-2018, 07:46
Hey everyone, big apologies for not replying sooner! I thought I had notifications turned on for this thread but apparently not!

Thanks so much for the advice!

Paul, I believe I may have been haphazard with how I removed the dark slide. This sounds like quite a logical idea. I have another day next week where I hope to shoot a bunch of frames. I will report back on the out come of it after using your method!