PDA

View Full Version : hake brushes

Fred L
4-Apr-2018, 13:38
Plan to get into alternative processes this year (starting with kallitype then probably --> pt/pd). Is there a huge or important difference between pig hair hake brushes and goat hair ?

tia

freddy

C. D. Keth
4-Apr-2018, 13:44
Not for paper coating purposes, no.

You may want to just get in the habit of using a glass puddle pusher from the start. You'll use less coating solution which, when you're doing platinum, can become a big deal. Without it you end up leaving solution, and therefore money, soaked into the brush every time.

robshepherd
4-Apr-2018, 14:15

You may want to just get in the habit of using a glass puddle pusher from the start.

I second that recommendation. For pt/pd I still brush the emulsion into the paper a bit once there's just a little left after coating with the glass rod. I find that I can use almost half the number of drops that way.

koraks
4-Apr-2018, 14:16

You may want to just get in the habit of using a glass puddle pusher from the start. You'll use less coating solution which, when you're doing platinum, can become a big deal. Without it you end up leaving solution, and therefore money, soaked into the brush every time.
Absolutely. Also, I get much more consistent and even coating when doing salted paper prints using a puddle pusher than I would ever be able to with a brush. So cost is not the only factor.

Having said that, I use a brush for carbon transfer and generally for Van Dyke Brown and cyanotype as well. I use a synthetic flat brush that cost me about €15. It's been working very well for me since I got it a few years ago. I wouldn't know if a genuine unicorn-haired hake brush would be a dramatic improvement; I haven't tried it or ever felt the need to. I did try a few pig-hair brushes and they were absolutely useless for alt process coating. The hairs are just too coarse on the brushes I got.

When you get a brush, make sure to check that the tips of the hairs stick together into a fine edge (a bit like a knife edge) when you wet the brush. If they don't, the brush is useless.

Fred L
4-Apr-2018, 15:52

Thanks for the recommendation CK. Is the pusher as simple to use vs brushing back and forth ? guess I'll be googling puddle pushers later to see what videos there are. Using less solution per print can add up I'm guessing and I can imagine the savings if printing pt/pd.

koraks
4-Apr-2018, 23:58
Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy, yes. I always lay the paper on a sheet of glass, clamp one side down with market stall clamps and if it's really curly, I tape down the opposite corners with removable tape. I find it's imperative that the paper is fixed to a very flat and non-flexible surface. Here's a good example of what I mean, especially from about 4m30 onward: https://youtu.be/JBxw3mb9eAU

andrewch59
5-Apr-2018, 00:26
I started with a recommended Hake brush and could not stop streak lines due to the bristles parting, after reading Sandy Kings method I changed to the Jack Richeson 9010. If you wet the brush before hand it does not soak up so much of the sensitizer. After a while it too started to separate, I cleaned the brush, used hair conditioner and rinsed thoroughly and the bristles no longer split.

tgtaylor
5-Apr-2018, 10:34
For years now I have been using el cheapo Chinese made hake brushes that I buy at a local Block store for around $2.50 each.To help prevent the bristles from becoming detached, I apply super glue around the metal furrule. The last one I used for over a year when I noticed black gunk being deposited on the paper so I tossed it and have 2 new brushes waiting. I bought a Richardson but so far haven't used it as well as a puddle pusher which I used once.

Thomas

Fred L
6-Apr-2018, 10:50
watched some videos and using the pusher looks so simple, even I can do that ;) for those who use rods, if you need to coat something wider than the rod, do you coat in side by side passes or do you prefer using a coating rod as wide, or wider than the size of your neg ? I also guess it depends if I want brush marks on the finished print.

thanks again for the replies, it helps very much !

Denny
6-Apr-2018, 18:01
Jen,
Can you compare the Dosa Bake brushes to typical hake brushes or synthetics like Richeson 9010 magic brushes? What makes them special?
Thanks,
Denny

Denny
7-Apr-2018, 10:02
Thanks!

robshepherd
7-Apr-2018, 11:20
for those who use rods, if you need to coat something wider than the rod, do you coat in side by side passes or do you prefer using a coating rod as wide, or wider than the size of your neg ?

I use a 5" coating rod for coating 4x5 and 5x7, and I have an 8" version for 8x10 prints. I've never tried to coat an 8x10 with the smaller rod. I suspect you may end up with artifacts in the finished print. Easy enough to try though!

koraks
7-Apr-2018, 13:27
Yeah, I would always try to coat in one pass to prevent partially overlapping passes. It's just asking for variations in density.
My rod is something like 10" and I use it for both 4x5 and 8x10. A wider rod for a smaller print works just fine; the opposite, I wouldn't even bother trying.