PDA

View Full Version : Pyro development using JOBO 3062 drums.

Greg
31-Mar-2018, 16:33
Want to get back to processing with PMK staining developer. Last time I used PMK was in the late 1990s. Hand processing 8x10s in trays. Presently have been processing my 11x14's in Rodinal at various dilutions or with Diafine A&B in JOBO 3062 (Print) Multidrums. Did tests and in practice the development has been totally even across my negatives.

Now have read on this FORUM that people who have used the combination of the JOBO #3062 drums with staining developers have experienced uneven edge development on the film's edge next to the internal ribs. In Gorden Hutching's The Book of Pyro, he states that "The professional 3000 series drums work well with the PMK developer." But then he only references the 3004 and 3010 drums, which are quite different internally from the 3062 drums.

So the question posed is... Will PMK developer work with the JOBO 3062 drums using PMK developer? Or should I revert to using 11x14" Cibachrome drums that are "ribless". Have read that they work very well with staining developers.

JOBO literature recommends using their #3027 drums with their custom built inserts for processing 11x14" negatives. Now I have never seen a #3027 drum even up for sale, and having invested in two #3062 drums, I have little interest in acquiring #3027 drums with their custom inserts.

Any comments gratefully welcome...

Alan9940
1-Apr-2018, 08:20
I used PMK years ago to develop roll film in inversion tanks. I use Jobo Expert Drums nowadays, but wouldn’t recommend PMK with any style of rotary agitation; aerial oxidation could be an issue. I use and recommend Pyrocat-HD for rotary development.

Michael Wellman
1-Apr-2018, 09:05
I used a JOBO for 8x10 and 4x5 years ago using PMK with excellent results but I was using their negative tubes (don't remember the numbers). I would give it a try. If you read Gordon Hutchings, The Book of Pyro, he talks about how PMK was developed to be used the JOBO. I left LF/film about 10 years ago but recently returned. It's interesting to see how things have changed. Pyrocat HD seems to be the preferred pyro developer now. I just got the developer and plan on testing on it compares to PMK. You may want to check that out. I'd be interested in hearing how it turns out for you.

Oren Grad
1-Apr-2018, 10:21
I think the issue wasn't uneven edge development but rather, at least in some cases, lines across the negative from the major and/or minor ribs that ran across the middle of the film.

bob carnie
1-Apr-2018, 11:12
I used PMK years ago to develop roll film in inversion tanks. I use Jobo Expert Drums nowadays, but wouldn’t recommend PMK with any style of rotary agitation; aerial oxidation could be an issue. I use and recommend Pyrocat-HD for rotary development.

I have been using PMKstaining developer since Hutchings book came out using Jobo Expert Drums with no issue.

Lachlan 717
1-Apr-2018, 12:36
I think the issue wasn't uneven edge development but rather, at least in some cases, lines across the negative from the major and/or minor ribs that ran across the middle of the film.

I use Jobo tanks (2xxx and 3063) for 7x17”, but don’t use Pyro, so the following is written with some caution...

I have never had any issue with “ribbing”, even though the film has a rib under its entire length with these tanks (one inch in on the 2xxx).

I am at a bit of a loss to understand how you could get this effect, unless you had the emulsion (erroneously) facing outwards, unless it was caused by some sort of surge effect over the slightly raised portion of the film over the rib.

Any thoughts on this?

Oren Grad
1-Apr-2018, 13:38
Lachlan, my 3062 and 3063 negatives with standard developers are fine. It's specifically pyro that's the issue, so presumably there's something about the staining/tanning reaction that's going awry.