PDA

View Full Version : scanning smaller negs

paulr
23-Aug-2005, 09:45
Apologies if this is off topic, but I didn't know a better place to ask.

I've been getting great results scanning 4x5 bw negs with an epson 4870 scanner and vuescan, using a mask and shims and wet-mounting on float glass (for prints that will be enlarged up to 3 times).

But I'm now doing a project with 2-1/4 inch color negs. I'd like the option of printing 12x12 inches (a 5X to 6X enlargement depending on any cropping). And I doubt I'd be able to wet mount easily (so I'd probably get an after market neg holder that can at least flatten the film).

Will this be pushing the limits of the scanner? I'm not as picky about absolute sharpness and detail with this project as I am with the black and white project, but I don't want to put a lot of work and money into producing compromised prints. The final prints will be made either as digital c-prints or as ink on art paper, depending on which look I prefer. But since I don't have the inkjet printer I'd need, I don't have an inexpensive way to run tests.

I need to decide if I can scan them myself with current gear, if I need to save up for something new, or find a way to get someone else to scan them.

Thoughts?

John Berry ( Roadkill )
23-Aug-2005, 10:06
I just upgraded from a 2450 to a 4990. I don't see any problem with doing it the same way you do B&W. I am looking at trying some wet mounting myself.

Henry Ambrose
23-Aug-2005, 14:07
I think you are right on the line - it could go either way depending on subject matter and personal preferences. How about printing a 2" square crop from one of your 4X5 scans to see what it looks like? That would be a good start. Next oil mount your MF film with your current gear and see what you get. Either of those tests will answer your question - better than anyone here can - for the price of a print or two. I am interested in what you find out, so please write back!

Ellen Stoune Duralia
23-Aug-2005, 14:31
"I've been getting great results scanning 4x5 bw negs with an epson 4870 scanner and vuescan, using a mask and shims and wet-mounting on float glass (for prints that will be enlarged up to 3 times)"

A mask? Shims? Float glass??

Sorry for the many questions; I don't want to distract from your learning the answer you seek so feel free to create another thread on this topic if you'd be so kind to share.

I'm real curious to know more about your technique and the materials you are using as so far, I have only heard of folks using Kami fluid, scanner tape and mylar sheets.

Thanks and good luck with your project!

sanking
23-Aug-2005, 16:39
Anyone have any experience with the Imacon 636?

Brian C. Miller
23-Aug-2005, 22:28
Don't you have the Epson negative holder?

If you don't have the negative holder, I would suggest placing the negative emulsion-side down on the glass, and then holding it down in place with a 4x5 ground glass, ground side to the negative. Since there would be no smooth-to-smooth surfaces coming into contact with each other, there should not be any Newton rings.

If you don't have a spare piece of ground glass, Tetenal makes an anti-newton spray that you could use with a piece of normal glass.

paulr
23-Aug-2005, 22:45
"Don't you have the Epson negative holder?"

I do but it's pretty crappy. Doesn't pretend to hold the neg flat. I'll consider the doug fisher holder
http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Menus/reviews_frame.htm
if the scanner seems up to the task.

there's a lot of information on wet mounting with flatbed scanners here:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCANMAX/

Brian C. Miller
24-Aug-2005, 00:56
Here's a link to Doug Fisher's site: Doug Fisher MF film holder (http://home.earthlink.net/~dougfisher/holder/mfholder.html) for $30.

Steve J Murray
24-Aug-2005, 08:15
I didn't find Doug Fisher's basic holder any better than the one that came with my 2450, in fact, it didn't hold the negs as flat as the Epson holder. He does have some more advanced holders for more money. The problem with 120 is the thinness of the film stock compared to sheet film. I think it wrinkles and buckles during scanning more easily. A glass holder I think would be the best, but you'd have to devise one. The wet mounting idea sounds great. If you figure out a good way to do it I would be interested myself.

paulr
24-Aug-2005, 08:49
I may end up taking a part time teaching assistant job at the international center of photography just so i can use all the toys in their lab.

Brian C. Miller
24-Aug-2005, 22:01
Consider this: Take a piece of glass (ground glass, anti-Newton glass, or glass treated with the Tetenal spray) and on the non-reflecting side use black cloth gaffer's tape to make a film channel, and light calibration notch. Place the film on the scanner emulsion-side down, and then lower the glass and orient the film under it. While the film won't be clipped into the "holder" it will be held flat and in a reliable position.

Ellen Stoune Duralia
25-Aug-2005, 06:19
Interesting idea, Brian... Would you utilize mounting fluid with your set up or just scan the film dry?