PDA

View Full Version : A photographers notebook

Richard Boulware
23-Aug-2005, 08:18
As I was sitting and enjoying a second cup of coffee on my patio early this beautiful Colorado morning, I was reflecting upon my life as a working photographer, and reflecting on where I've been and where I am today.

As I look back and realize how very lucky I have been over my life, I increasingly feel that I need to give something back to my chosen profession and to those now climbing that ladder to a life as a working photographer, or just as a hobbiest and bathing in the joy of taking pictures.

Next weekend will mark my 70th. birthday..but I don't feel 70 and many friends tell me I don't look it either. Perhaps I'm not over the hill just yet as I have just f inished building a 1000 sq' lab, gallery, teaching and finishing facility in the basement of my SE Denver town house, that saw me install over 300 2x4's and about 2 and 1/2 tons of dry wall, all by myself. A photographic facility to make pictures, and teach those who are hungry to learn, and share.

In my life, photography has taken me places, and let me do things that most will only dream about, and I am a very lucky guy.

I am thinking about posting on this board, a series of pieces , writing about locations, camera equipment... to techniques, challenges, failures and so on...to perhaps pass along to others younger than I, stories that might give some insight and information to those who hunger for that type of thing in the world of photography.

Although only semi-retired, I still shoot but I can now pick and choose assignment that interest me. I do not intend to set myself up as some kind of authority on photography because I am not. The first law of wisdom, I think, is to fully realize that you are not the 'fastest gun in the west'.

My question is simply.... do posters on this board think that my posts might be something of interest or of value. I would call my posts something corny like.."A Photographers Notebook, Page One...Two,...and so on. Obviously my posts would have to have some 'meat' in them or they would be a waste of time for me, and the members of this forum. Some might also be controversial......So be it. Controversial posts invite discussion, ...and thought.

My over all goal would be to provide content that would encourage photographers to think...or reflect.

Your comments or criticisms are invited.

Richard Boulware - Denver.

Frank Petronio
23-Aug-2005, 08:26
Investigate using weblog software - it has an easy learning curve and would be ideal for journal type entries. There are several good companies with free or low-cost online services.

I love reading this kind of stuff -- I'm sure you'd have a dedicated following.

Steve Hamley
23-Aug-2005, 08:30
Richard,

I'd like to see such postings. One of our local (Knoxville, TN) pros, Harley Ferguson, is 83 and is still working part time doing the photography he likes. I always enjoy talking to him and learn useful things, probably the most insightful being that people who are doing what they love never really retire.

Steve

tim atherton
23-Aug-2005, 08:34
absolutley

running it as a weblog might be useful, but I would be just as happy to have periodic notebook notes appear in my mailbox from here

GPS
23-Aug-2005, 08:39
Richard,what exactly would you like to offer that anyone interested cannot find on the web elsewhere?

Paul Butzi
23-Aug-2005, 09:03
Richard-

Please go ahead with your plans and write this stuff up. If there's no interest in having it be part of this website, just go ahead and build your own website (or, as folks have suggested, write it up in blog format using one of the free or inexpensive blog services like blogger.com or typepad.com).

Don't let the perception that you might be duplicating stuff that's already existing stop you. There's infinite space on the WWW. Even assuming what you wrote was similar to what someone else has written, your different voice, writing style, and approach will make whatever you write be a valuable contribution to the WWW.

paulr
23-Aug-2005, 09:31
and while you're at it, you might want to check out some of the other photo blogs out there. some are consistently interesting. i don't visit them as often as i should. if you start your own you'll be part of a worthwhile and growing community.

Tim, you had a list of some good blogs, didn't you?

Greg Coates
23-Aug-2005, 09:33
Richard, I think what you're describing would be fascinating reading. By all means, write it!

Greg Coates<br />
Divine Reflections Photography (http://www.divinereflections.us/)

Brian Vuillemenot
23-Aug-2005, 10:07
Sounds like interesting reading. Perhaps you could get the articles posted on the companion site to this forum, http://largeformatphotography.info? They would be more perminent there than as posts to this forum or blogs.

Brian Vuillemenot
www.imagesofenchantment.com (http://www.imagesofenchantment.com)

Daniel Grenier
23-Aug-2005, 10:12
Cant' wait for the first installment, Richard. Go for it.

Janko Belaj
23-Aug-2005, 10:12
Write it Richard, we all (younger) would like to read. It maight even get a plece on "front-page" of this forum. There is a link for the maintainer at the very bottom for contributions...

Richard Boulware
23-Aug-2005, 10:17
Dear gps: To answer your question very directly. What do I have to offer that cannot be found elsewhere in the internet?

Answer: My opinions, perspective and outlook...after an award winning career that allowed me to live in a nice house, drive nice cars, and raise and educate two children who are now very successful adults.

If your looking for answers to questions about 'what adapter or step up ring to use for a filter, or the field coverage on a 210mm Symar....look elsewhere. You are not obliged to read what I write.

John Cook
23-Aug-2005, 11:59
Richard, you are correct that there is already a surplus of folks competing to recommend their favorite gear.

Also, not much future in discussing materials, as they quickly disappear from production. (Is Plus-X really superior to Ektapan?)

I have always maintained that AA founded an entire industry of people writing books and giving seminars and workshops devoted to explaining what he really meant to say in his Basic Photo Series about the Zone System. No shortage there, either.

One thing I don’t hear enough about is basic lighting and subject beautification. Light is our stock in trade; it is what we photograph. Light has quality and character. The only way to make a subject look good is to make the light look good. Before the exposure is made. Even before the camera is taken out of the case. Few writers ever get into this.

Finally, one thing I never hear about at all is how to earn a comfortable living making pictures.

After leaving Art Center, I ran myself ragged for forty years here in the Northeast Rust Belt illustrating advertising for manufacturers who were going bankrupt or moving to China faster than they could pay my bill.

After you left Art Center, it was off to NYC to (as they used to say) “seek your fortune”. It could be extremely useful to the newbies to learn just where I went wrong and you succeeded. Location is, indeed, everything.

Also, the ability to make great photographs is perhaps secondary only to the ability to get paid for them. I think it was Weegee who once when asked if a picture was worth a thousand words replied, “No. A picture is worth a thousand bucks.”

And, while you’re at it, a few tips on the construction of that spectacular new darkroom might be in order. If Better Homes & Gardens had a darkroom issue, you’d definitely be in it. On the cover!

I, too, await the first installment...

Michael Jones
23-Aug-2005, 12:32
By the way, who is this "gps" and why is he here?

Mike

John_4185
23-Aug-2005, 12:54
Keep on keeping on, Richard.

It might be more handy if your notes could be in a dedicated site. Do you have a provider? Need help in that regard? Feel free to ask.

A friend of mine is still working as a news photographer in Denver at 61 years-old, and while he still does remarkable work, and is in amazing physical condition, the age discrimination thing makes life difficult. (Just how many Pulitzers does a guy have to earn to be given a little respect?)

More power to you!
I would like to read your notes.

jj - a child of sixty (not the sixties!)

John Kasaian
23-Aug-2005, 13:09
Richard,

You bet! I'd love to read more---there is plenty of boring technical stuff on photography but reading true accounts and real life experiences puts a "face" on all that.

One of my favorite Ansel Adams books is "The Making of 40 Photographs"---not because its instructional---heck I wouldn't even know where to get a Ziess Jewel or those old time papers and films Adams used back then(if they are even still being made)---but because the stories are so interesting. Every time I reread a chapter I feel like I've just been visiting with an old friend. The same with Edward Weston's Day Books. I'm surprised no one has used those books for movie plotlines.

I'd love to read your stories: Go for it!

Mark Sampson
23-Aug-2005, 13:27
You write, I'll happily read.

Calamity Jane
23-Aug-2005, 13:33
Of course some of us are interested! Every person offers a unique perspective on life.

It'd be really nice if it was a web page somewhere that you could add to as you feel like. That would give us readers a cance to carry on from the last instalment or to go back and refresh our memor on some point.

GPS
23-Aug-2005, 14:05
Dear Richard,
you asked if we think your posts could be of interest to us. To answer that question I thought you could tell us more what you have to offer that is original. Did my question make you angry to that point that you start to give me advice about what I should read and where? Oh, thanks a lot for this advice but sincerely - keep it for yourself next time or give it to those who ask you to have it. Happy birthday!

Ellen Stoune Duralia
23-Aug-2005, 14:14
Richard, I would love to read your "photographer's notebook"! I think it would be fascinating and entertaining :D Thanks for offering to share your valuable insights and let us know when the first installment is available.

QT Luong
23-Aug-2005, 14:50
gps: what made you think that your question made Richard "angry" ? It sounds like a politician's trick to call his opponent's "angry" no matter what the debate is. Richard replied to you politely and accurately.
If you are not interested in his postings, you are free to skip them, but since it looks they will be right for the
topic of this forum, and there is interest, I don't see why Richard would have to follow your admonition.

Richard, thanks for your offer. If you confirm you will use the LF forum to post the "photographer's notebook", I'll create a new category for them, and link the category from the home page. Blog sites such as http://www.blogger.com/ are indeed easy to use, and a good alternative that would give you more control, but the advantage of posting in the forum is that there is already a regular readership, and the comment mechanism is perfectly adequate, and not that different from blogging software. Plus we don't run adds next to your messages.

Richard Boulware
23-Aug-2005, 14:55
Dear John Cook: John, thanks for your kind comments on my new facility. You and I have never met but we talk via email, and I did send you some color snapshots of my new facility. We two have a lot in common, beside being ACCD grads, and being in the professional end of life. If you feel inclided, post any of the shots I sent you of my new facility.

With regard to "gps" and any others who doubt my credentials or intentions, just let me say that I truly believe that there are things I could say that would help others, climbing up the ladder. My primary interest is concentrating on how to make good pictures. Screw the technique. Technique is something to be learned and mastered, and then taken as automatic while me move to the true goal, which is to make fine photographs...and "Tell a Story"! Our story. The story that each of us, individually want to tell. The story of what we have seen, and want to share with others...via our pictures. It's a new language, and many are struggling, unnecessarily.

My own story is one of successes AND failures. Some how I managed to survive, but it was as much about discipline, desire and determination....as it was about education and experience and down right good luck. Seeing my career through my eyes, and what I have learned, just might give others hints on right directions to go....or NOT. Your choice.

As for "gps"...I am not at all angry. I can be very assertive, as I was in response to your post which I thought was not well asked.

I just though of myself, in my earlier years as I began to work and study to be a professional, and hoped that someone would lift the veil, and give me a glimpse of life as a pro.

If I do decide to post a series of "Columns" on this site, it will be to share, not an act of ego satisfaction for myself. The ego needs of my personal self were satisfied, for the most part, many years ago.

Some of my posts might anger some, and offend others. So be it. Any thing I might post will ask those who decide to read, to consider another viewpoint....mine. Doesn't mean I'm right, but what the hell. Opinons are like *******s! Everybody's got one.

My only failure can be if I fail to make someone think, or attempt to appreciate another point of view.

And yes, John Cook...you are right on, when you talk about light. I once heard the question asked.... "what is the primary tool of the photographer?" The answer from a very famous photographer was..."The knowledge that light has additional properties besides quantity, and color. Knowledge and the ability to use light as a tool, is the primary tool of the photographer. Light has quality..and most are unaware of this most important characteristic!" (I paraphrase).

We are all lucky. Why? Because, unlike NFL football players...the older we get..the better we get, if we keep learning and growing.

Photography is a thinking persons venue. READY? On Two! Every body think...."Hmmmmm"! (;-)

Richard Boulware

John Cook
23-Aug-2005, 15:05
Sorry folks. I should change my web name to AA, for "anally analog". I couldn't post a photograph to save my soul.

But I can still ferrotype single weight glossies on a gas-fired Pako drum drier. And I still own a few colortran stands. Does that count?

GPS
23-Aug-2005, 15:09
QT Luong, what makes you think that I thought that Richard was angry? I asked him IF my question made him angry. What makes you think that I called him angry? If I'm not interested in his posting I can skipp them - you see, you're right! I don't even need your advice for it, imagine! What admonition on my side are you speaking about? As far as I read my post, there isn't any admonition. Can you elaborate? Oh, next time you want to give me advice on what I can skipp keep it for yourself. I didn't ask you for that favour. Hope you are not angry because of that.

GPS
23-Aug-2005, 15:13
Dear Richard, why do you think that my question "what original you have to offer" was not well asked? What did make you believe that I doubted about your credentials? Didn't you say yourself that you don't think you're a kind of authority on photography?

Richard Boulware
23-Aug-2005, 15:16
QR Luong: Thank you for offering some special position for any posts I might make. I can promise you that if I DO deside to post, I will do in on this forum, which I read regularly. I do not seek any special position for any posts, only to attempt to offer some thoughts on things I have come to know as 'sound' over my career. I don't want to be seen as some 'expert'...but just as a guy who cares about 'giving back' to a profession that has brought me joy, sorrow, pleasure and pain,.....but was exciting....and NEVER dull.

I leave it to your expert advice, as to where to place my work. I would suggest that perhaps I can post a few column's and then you might decide what to do with them...or throw them out, with a laugh and a giggle. Who knows? I will attempt to be brief and to the point in my writing.

Your friend, Richard Boulware

Paddy Quinn
23-Aug-2005, 15:18
ahh, the list's disingenuous pillock

John_4185
23-Aug-2005, 15:19
Mr. Boulware:

I could list so many things I'd like to learn from your experiences, but I'd love to read of your experiences shooting from a helicopter, and airplanes if you will. Yes, it's a small part of your life's work, but right now I am "aerial challenged". :) (And afraid to fly!)

GPS
23-Aug-2005, 15:27
Now, when we explained each other's heart,(I hope so) one more question, dear Richard. You said your "over all goal .. would be to encourage photographers to think ... or reflect". Hmm.
That made me think (or reflect?) - what is the difference between "to think ....or reflect" in your over all goal?

GPS
23-Aug-2005, 15:33
Paddy, you should not call QT or Richard or anyone else names in this forum. Please read the guidelines to know why. Cheers!

Paddy Quinn
23-Aug-2005, 15:54
oh disingenuous to the core - what a wonderful study in sociopathy!

GPS
23-Aug-2005, 16:11
Absolutely, Paddy! Certain posts makes a psychiatrist's office turn pale in comparison. Don't you love it?

J. P. Mose
23-Aug-2005, 16:21
Hi Richard,

It has been a while since we've e-mailed each other back and forth. I think between your technical expertise and sincere interest in the field, many of us would benefit from it (I know I will). I also know your a kind soul which will be demonstrated in your writings.

In case I forget....happy 70th in advance!

Yours truly,

JP

Armin Seeholzer
23-Aug-2005, 16:22
Hi Richard

I would also like to read your storys and if I can learn something out of it its even better!

GPS
23-Aug-2005, 16:31
Armin, don't force him to answer. So far when he wanted to answer he had the right coordinates. Let him have his freedom to answer or not, he can be very assertive when he wants to.

Joe Smith
23-Aug-2005, 17:44
Richard
YES! I, among the others, would like to read your philosophy and ramblings.
I am quite certain we can all pick up a tip or two from someone like yourself, with not only a nice writing style, but a vast experience to draw from.
When will the first installment be ready?
(Just kidding!)
Good luck

Brian Ellis
23-Aug-2005, 19:09
I'd certainly be very interested and I hope you take Q.T. up on his offer. It would IMHO be much better to post them in a separate section of the main page as he suggests rather than in these QandAs because these pretty much disappear every week or so.

Paul Cocklin
23-Aug-2005, 19:15
Richard, as an infrequently published photographer in 35mm and a newbie to large format, I would dearly love to read about your professional experiences, both good and bad. Please, by all and any means necessary, post. I eagerly await your stories.

GPS
23-Aug-2005, 19:42
Paul, when this post is not about me then why do you feel any need to speak about me?

Eric Rose
24-Aug-2005, 12:49
geez for a second there I thought I was back at PN.

Mark_3632
24-Aug-2005, 14:14
I would be interested.

Mark Sawyer
24-Aug-2005, 14:21
Richard-

Sounds like a wonderful project- as you said, it's nice to leave a little of your experience behind for the next generation. I'd suggest posting to this forum, and as they build up, then post them as a topic on the LF main page.

"I would call my posts something corny like.."A Photographers Notebook, Page One...Two,...and so on. "

Regarding this, I'd suggest something about the content be included in the title line when posting, so folks will know whether it's a topic they want to follow. Looking forward to the first installment!

J.L. Kennedy
24-Aug-2005, 22:10
QT, I think the idea of a blog link/listing page off of the largeformatphotography.info is a GREAT idea. As others have mentioned, posting a blog-like message in the forum section is too much of a moving target. I would rather read Richard's writings all in one place. Thanks, Richard, for thinking of doing this.

Brian C. Miller
24-Aug-2005, 23:24
A bunch of blogger.com links might do the trick. Then there wouldn't be a need to host blogging software on the server.

GPS
25-Aug-2005, 03:59
Dear Richard, you wanted to know what the posters think about your generous offer but somehow deep analysis of the gps abbreviation took over. Hopefully your next public will be of a different IQ. Keep on hoping!

Mike H.
26-Aug-2005, 11:43
Richard, Go for it.

GPS
27-Aug-2005, 07:23
Heck, go for it right now, Richard (dear)! Nobody speaks anymore about GPS. And please, don't forget to tell as how to get (and to drive) the nice cars and how to live in the nice house you have. Those are the best of your credentials, the tangible ones you've presented so far!

John Cook
27-Aug-2005, 07:57
gps, have you recently also begun to post under the alias of Ansel Adams, or do we now have two salty old curmudgeons to entertain us?

How about (both of you) giving this forum a rest and spending some quality time here:

http://www.dalecarnegie.com/

Winning friends and influencing people is fun!

;0)

Hans Berkhout
27-Aug-2005, 11:16
I encourage you to pursue your idea. But creating a journal that will be read by others than only yourself needs editing; you maybe an excellent photographer, I don't know if you can write. Your introduction for instance could be condensed. Concentrate on 10% writing and 90% re-writing, for starters. Not everybody who owns a camera is a photographer, I'm sure you have heard that before- the same applies for owners of a keyboard etc. I don't mean to be condescending, but we there is enough atrociously written stuff everywhere, it's pollution, we don't need more.
In any case the topic is interesting and I wish you the best of luck.

Scott Fleming
27-Aug-2005, 15:17
Mr. Boulware,

I encourage you in the highest degree. Can't wait.

Don't let the lamebrain discourage you. There's always an immature jerk or two on the internet. We are lucky to have a low percentage of them here. Perhaps his mommy will catch him using dad's computer and put a stop to it.

Scott Fleming
27-Aug-2005, 15:20
gps,

I cannot believe how incredibly stupid you are. I mean rock-hard stupid. Dehydrated-rock-hard stupid. World-class, A-1, top of the heap, triple whopper with cheese, supersized stupid. So stupid that it goes way beyond the stupid we know into a whole different dimension of stupid. One-of-a-kind, global, universal, intergalactic stupid. You are trans-stupid stupid. Meta-stupid. Stupid collapsed on itself so far that even the neutrons have collapsed. Stupid so dense that no intellect can escape. Singularly, extraordinarily, incredibly, bewilderingly stupid. Blazing hot mid-day sun on Mercury stupid. You emit more stupid in one second than our entire galaxy emits in a year. Quasar stupid. Your life is a monument to stupidity. I am breathless that anyone or anything in our universe can really be this stupid. You are a primordial fragment from the original big bang of stupid. Some pure essence of a stupid so uncontaminated by anything else as to be beyond the laws of stupidity that we know. A behemoth, a leviathan, a colossus of stupidity.

GPS
27-Aug-2005, 15:39
Dear Richard, don't let yourself be discouraged by the IQ level of this forum audience. They too want to drive nice cars. Give them all you know but please - make sure even the above brain gets its part. Thank you!

Erik Eks
28-Aug-2005, 10:52
Richard, go for it. Please.

Armin Seeholzer
29-Aug-2005, 15:40
The gps is not working anymore and I would like it would not find the cordinates anymore!
Hope the bateries are gone!

GPS
1-Sep-2005, 11:19
A word to the moderator: After your initial censorship you decided to put back the deleted threads. Never mind that, but you did not renew the threads correctly. They are now corrupted - there are answers that are missing the questions. Will you correct the whole text or will you let it be corrupted? Up to you to decide.

Paddy Quinn
1-Sep-2005, 11:34
note to gps - no one cares. Post your address and we will donate a quarter so you can call someone who does.

(PS - there are rules for posting and the moderators can do as they wish to remove offending posts - it's not a democracy but a privately own.ed list thus, no censorship. If someone is invited into someone's house and then become so rude they are kicked out the front door on their ass, that ain't censorship....)

GPS
1-Sep-2005, 16:36
Paddy, if you don't care then why do you speak about it???