PDA

View Full Version : Creating an ICC profile with an IT8 scan with Vuescan

Ted Baker
27-Mar-2018, 16:45
I am experimenting with a few ideas...

Has anyone generated a ICC profile using Vuescan with an IT8 target or any other means? Looking for any info on the capabilities with respect to Vuescan and what it can generate?

Steven Ruttenberg
27-Mar-2018, 20:43
I made one. I wet mounted the slide image that came with my V850 directly to dcanner glass and chose slide film scanned at 2400 dpi. Downloaded a reference file from Xrite then using the xrite software that came with scannet selected both files and it made it. But it might be off because I didn't use the film area guide. Funny looking plastic bar you put in calibration area. You typically use it gir scanning 8x10, but should work for 4x5 film mounted to scanner glass directly. I think it tells scanner to use the high res lens.

Anyway it is pretty straight fwd.

kevincook
27-Mar-2018, 23:36
VueScan normally reads and writes the ICC profile for the scanner using the file scanner.icc. IT8 targets are included with many scanners.

Ted Baker
28-Mar-2018, 00:02
I made one. I wet mounted the slide image that came with my V850 directly to dcanner glass and chose slide film scanned at 2400 dpi. Downloaded a reference file from Xrite then using the xrite software that came with scannet selected both files and it made it. But it might be off because I didn't use the film area guide. Funny looking plastic bar you put in calibration area. You typically use it gir scanning 8x10, but should work for 4x5 film mounted to scanner glass directly. I think it tells scanner to use the high res lens.

Anyway it is pretty straight fwd.

Thanks appreciate that, thought I was interested in using vuescan to itself to generate the ICC profile.

VueScan normally reads and writes the ICC profile for the scanner using the file scanner.icc. IT8 targets are included with many scanners.

Yeah, that is what I guessed , but I was looking to see exactly what it generated, appreciate the assistance.

If anyone has created a ICC film profile with vuescan that they would be happy to share, I would like to analyse the contents.

Ted Baker
13-Apr-2018, 22:34
Would anyone have an IT8 profile they generated using Vuescan, that they would be happy to send me? Doesn't matter what film it was for, or what scanner, just that it was generated with Vuescan? I would like to extract the contents and see what features of the ICC spec vuescan uses.

Steven Ruttenberg
14-Apr-2018, 09:52
I can send you a file. Let me know where

Steven Ruttenberg
15-Apr-2018, 15:02
On its way. Dropbox link

Peter De Smidt
15-Apr-2018, 15:25
There's some good color info at: http://www.lumariver.com/lrpd-manual/#c1_workflows

Ted Baker
15-Apr-2018, 16:51
On its way. Dropbox link

Thanks, unfortunately unless I am mistaken that profile is not made by vuescan, it was created by XRCM which I am guessing is a package from X-Rite?

I was looking for a ICC profile created by vuescan's profiling feature directly.

I attempted to make some profiles with vuescan already, using a pretend target, (don't have the scanner accessible at the moment, on the road...), but I wanted to compare it with some targets correctly produced by vuescan.

From what I can tell the vuescan icc profile, only has simple linear color matrix, and simple gamma adjustment, and that all, but I am curious to confirm.

There's some good color info at: http://www.lumariver.com/lrpd-manual/#c1_workflows

Thanks peter that's worth a read! That sits on top of DCamProf (same developer AFAIK). I am trying to figure out how to best use DCamProf and ICC profiles in the negative inversion software I am working on.

Steven Ruttenberg
15-Apr-2018, 18:22
On road as well. O thought I saw a Vuescan profile. If not I will try to make one and send

Peter De Smidt
15-Apr-2018, 21:35
Ted, I hope that you get that to work. I was always told that it wouldn't, but I had people say the same thing about dslr scanning.

Bernard_L
16-Apr-2018, 01:06
Vuescan is limited in the types of profiles it understands; just gamma-matrix if I remember well. I scan the IT8 target raw (output device colors), and generate the profile with Argyll. Raw scans are then converted (allocate profile) outside vuescan. This allows to use LUT profiles, more flexible/accurate. That way I have "true" colors right away. And I can do "creative" modifications as a distinct stage, starting from a sound starting point.
If you intend to go that route, send me a PM, there is a small subtlety.