PDA

View Full Version : Adapter for fork connector to regular PC connector

pepeguitarra
27-Mar-2018, 12:48
A technician is doing a CLAC for my Kodak Flash Supermatic shutter (for my Kodak Ektar 203/7.7). He is also doing a modification for flash synchronization, so it can work with regular flashes. He told me that I will need an adapter for fork connector to regular PC connector. He does not have one, but he suggests that I can find one at the bid site. I have no idea of what I am looking for. Can someone help me please? I need to know what to look for. Thanks, Pepe.

Martin Dake
27-Mar-2018, 13:19
That type of connector is called a bi-post so you will need a bi-post to whatever your flash is.
Paramount cables will have or make what you need, here is a link to their custom cables section...

http://www.paramountcords.com/product/custom-cord/

For the left tip choose Tip#13

Oren Grad
27-Mar-2018, 13:43
B&H has the Paramount bi-post to female-PC adapter cord in stock.

Jac@stafford.net
27-Mar-2018, 13:52
Measure the bipost separation. There have been small deviations to make life difficult. IMHO the Supermatic itself is problematic enough, but that's just my luck.

Best of luck

pepeguitarra
27-Mar-2018, 13:58
Thanks a million, I have enough to go.

Bob Salomon
27-Mar-2018, 14:08
Thanks a million, I have enough to go.

Or just go to a Samy’s, Paul’s or Silvio’s and buy one. They all probably also have used ones as well as new ones these days.

And by fork do you mean bipost or are you talking about a household plug on the other end of the cord? A bipost plugs into the shutter you showed, it is also available from electronics stores as a TV cheater cord and from shaver shops as a replacement shaver cord.

Tin Can
27-Mar-2018, 16:02
When you find the BiPost female socket cable that actually fits. please let us know.

I have numerous BiPost adapters that don't fit.

And for the record, I have bought directly from Paramount and B&H. B&H recently started stocking most stock Paramount.

pepeguitarra
27-Mar-2018, 18:00
I already ordered from B&H. If it does not fit, I will used my electric shaver and cut the end and adapt it to the PC, as Bob suggested.

Drew Bedo
29-Mar-2018, 14:22
Of course get a purpose-made adapter if you can. In this day and age of online everything why do anything else?

However: I have seen a bi-pole to PC adapter made from the Bi-pole to plug in power cord for an electric razor that worked well. Its just another option.

Jac@stafford.net
29-Mar-2018, 15:12
In one case I made the female bi-post fit by taking a razor to the union. What works - works!

jim10219
30-Mar-2018, 19:36
I think those Supermatic shutters are a fairly standard size. I had a few that fit, but sold them in a batch of cables recently. Now finding a bipost cable that’ll fit a Heiland flash solenoid is a different story. I don’t understand how those solenoids can be so common, but the cables for them so rare!

pepeguitarra
3-Apr-2018, 17:30
Well, I ordered one from Paramount and one from B&H and I got two of the same. They both fit and work fine. Thanks to all who helped.

DrTang
4-Apr-2018, 07:15
Samys is pretty worthless for that...at least the one in my town.. the LA one(s) might be better though

Tin Can
4-Apr-2018, 08:23
I think those Supermatic shutters are a fairly standard size. I had a few that fit, but sold them in a batch of cables recently. Now finding a bipost cable that’ll fit a Heiland flash solenoid is a different story. I don’t understand how those solenoids can be so common, but the cables for them so rare!

The cable rubber is hardening. Cracking at the ends. Old age.

The solenoid is steel.

mdarnton
4-Apr-2018, 08:24
Just a warning: the bipost posts are held in place by a screw that comes from the inside of the shutter, and the post is screwed onto it, which is the reason for the flats at the base of the post. If you saw how small the screw was. . . . anyway, the Paramount cords I have bought have fit really tightly, and so I have one for each bi-post shutter I have, and the cord never comes off.

Bob Salomon
4-Apr-2018, 10:00
Samys is pretty worthless for that...at least the one in my town.. the LA one(s) might be better though

The Santa Barbara store can ask the other stores to transfer anything they need. Just ask.

Bob Salomon
4-Apr-2018, 10:02

Because the shutter and bipost connectors have been out of production for decades and everyday there are less of them!