PDA

View Full Version : Retouching finish on Tachihara 4x5 wooden field camera? Corner dings

pchaplo
26-Mar-2018, 13:29
Tachihara wooden camera. What is original finish? (it almost seems lacquer but I dunno).

Leigh
26-Mar-2018, 13:39
Hi Paul,

I can't answer your question since I'm not a woodworker.

But I do know that the Tachihara cameras are mode from 300 year old cherry.
I have the 4x5 and the 8x10 (with a Tachihara 5x7 reducing back).

- Leigh

Doremus Scudder
27-Mar-2018, 02:03
I don't know about "approximating the original finish," however, when my wooden cameras get dinged up (which is often; they see a lot of heavy use), I apply a bit of tung oil (not varnish, just the oil for hand finishing). I use tung oil as well for woodworking/furniture building and have found it to be waterproof and robust. Application is easy, just rub a little on using your fingers, rub in a bit, then wipe off the excess with a clean, soft cloth. Easy, effective and it won't dissolve any of the original finish. It might not be as glossy as the original finish, though.

Best,

Doremus

pchaplo
27-Mar-2018, 07:06
Doremus,

Thanks. Good to know about the tung oil.

Steven Tribe
28-Mar-2018, 01:46
On the Tachihara that I owned for a couple of weeks, the wood finish was still great - apart from the spring back where years of loading of film holders had worn into the wood. The exposed wood was very porous in appearance with the appearance of compressed fibres. Mine was the brass finish version and the appearance of these fittings was somewhat cloudy - it looked like a powder coating finish. It was really not a problem and, as I didn't know the production process, I left it alone.

Paul Ron
28-Mar-2018, 05:43
why not ask the manufacturer?

Greg
28-Mar-2018, 06:23
Years ago took my camera to a one-man furniture restoration shop. Not only did he perfectly match the stain, but he gave me more than enough oil than I needed... all for a six pack of beer.

Leigh
28-Mar-2018, 06:25
why not ask the manufacturer?
Because the company is no longer in business.

Mr. Tachihara died a couple of years ago.

- Leigh

Barry Kirsten
28-Mar-2018, 12:19
I've had two Tachi 4x5s over the years, but never had to do any restoration work on them. In your position, for touching up small areas like corner dings, I'd probably use a polyurethane gloss varnish like Estapol applied with a small, soft brush. Ive found this to be excellent, giving a hard, glossy finish, and have used it for years on furniture projects.

pepeguitarra
28-Mar-2018, 12:47
Can you post high resolution pictures of the details to be fixed? I may be able to help buy looking at it.

Paul Ron
29-Mar-2018, 05:02
there are 3 ways to find out what finish it is.....

alcohol disolves shellac, not oil based finishes or epoxy.
paint thinner disolves varnish and tongue oil, not laquer or epoxy.
lacquer thinner disolves lacquer and almost any finish except epoxy.

find a hidden spot and test each thinner?

pchaplo
29-Mar-2018, 06:56
Paul,

Will those solvent tests work on dry finish?

Paul

pchaplo
29-Mar-2018, 07:03
It’s just some marks from hiking.

Paul Ron
29-Mar-2018, 07:52
Paul,

Will those solvent tests work on dry finish?

Paul

yes it will... may take a minute to start disolving with some rubbing. shellac will soften immediately as will lacquer.

pchaplo
27-Apr-2018, 15:19
For pilgrims who follow, for minor touch up, here is a stain that matches the Tachihara wood finish color quite well: Minwax Sedona Red