PDA

View Full Version : Chroma Camera

Jeff Pettitt
24-Mar-2018, 05:36
Has anyone pre ordered one of these? Seems to be a pretty good looking camera!

Tin Can
24-Mar-2018, 06:24
You should have promoted this when it was a KS and in the proper KS thread. KS ended recently.

Now tell us what it is?

adelorenzo
24-Mar-2018, 10:19
http://chroma.camera/

I am surprised this camera flew under the radar here and on Photrio but regardless the KS funding was successful.

IMHO some really innovative ideas like using laser cut acrylic for construction and magnetically attached backs. Also very lightweight.

Tin Can
24-Mar-2018, 10:29
http://chroma.camera/

I am surprised this camera flew under the radar here and on Photrio but regardless the KS funding was successful.

IMHO some really innovative ideas like using laser cut acrylic for construction and magnetically attached backs. Also very lightweight.

I agree. OP first posted here a week before the CC KS ended, which is why I'm wondering why we were skipped over.

I already asked the principles, wtf?

William Whitaker
24-Mar-2018, 12:20
I think innovation is great and don't mean to disparage the designer at all. But I cannot for the life of me figure out why I would ever need a grape-colored, plastic camera!

Jeff Pettitt
24-Mar-2018, 13:15
I just found out about this camera yesterday. It looks like it will be a little while before you can order one since he has to fulfill the KS orders first. If your a Clemson fan, you can order a purple camera with an orange bellows!! LOL

stevelmx5
27-Mar-2018, 03:51
Hi everyone, apologies for my delayed response here. I'm the designer of the Chroma Camera and am about to start the production of 148 cameras that will be shipped worldwide.

Firstly, my main reason for not running any direct promotion on here is that I haven't been a regular user of the forum so I didn't want to look like I was simply using it for promotion. I spend more time on the UK TalkPhotography Film & Conventional forum and have been running a build thread on there for the last 18 months;

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/chroma-lasercut-acrylic-4x5-field-camera.636352/

Apologies if anyone here felt like they missed out on the opportunity. I really wasn't expecting the huge demand I saw (I originally planned to build 40 cameras!) so I will be focusing on getting the Kickstarter rewards built and out before taking direct orders via my website http://Chroma.Camera down the line. If anyone is interested in ordering a camera later this year, please sign up to my mailing list via the website for regular updates and announcements.

I think innovation is great and don't mean to disparage the designer at all. But I cannot for the life of me figure out why I would ever need a grape-colored, plastic camera!

To address this directly, not everyone wants (or can afford) a more traditionally-styled field camera. Whilst I love the build and appearance of a Chamonix/Ebony/Wista, I'm not in a position to invest over £1000 on one. My main reason for designing the Chroma was to provide an option for photographers (both new and experienced) to purchase a technical field camera with full control of all movements, that weighs less than 1.6Kg and is small enough to fit in a small messenger bag along with a few film holders. Alongside the ergonomics and control offered, I wanted to make sure it was available for a price that wouldn't put photographers off throwing it in a bag and going out at lunchtime to expose some film (as I do). The colour options are a side-benefit of the material I use as we're all individual. From the initial backer surveys I've had back, the most popular colour so far is, as I expected, matt black. However, I've also had orders for bright pink, purple, green, yellow and red so there's clearly a demand for something unique.

Sal Santamaura
27-Mar-2018, 07:39
I suspect that high relative humidity in the UK precludes problems, but an acrylic camera in the desert southwest seems like a formula for static electricity buildup. Perhaps those who keep their film holders in anti-static bags can suggest sources for such things in sizes large enough to contain this camera. Maybe ones with a hole for the lens to poke through when set up to photograph. :)

Tin Can
27-Mar-2018, 08:07
https://www.uline.com/Cls_21/Anti-Static?keywords=anti+static

stevelmx5
27-Mar-2018, 08:07
I suspect that high relative humidity in the UK precludes problems, but an acrylic camera in the desert southwest seems like a formula for static electricity buildup. Perhaps those who keep their film holders in anti-static bags can suggest sources for such things in sizes large enough to contain this camera. Maybe ones with a hole for the lens to poke through when set up to photograph. :)

I'm not an expert on static electricity or its' effects on film so if you have experience of it, and working around it, I'd be more than happy to discuss it.

Havoc
27-Mar-2018, 09:18
Static can be a problem if you have a discharge (like a mini lighting strike) but the more pressing problem is dust. Static electricity attracts dust. That's why it is used to make dust filters. But you notmally don't want dust everywhere in a camera.

Sal Santamaura
27-Mar-2018, 13:12
I'm not an expert on static electricity or its' effects on film so if you have experience of it, and working around it, I'd be more than happy to discuss it.

Those who've used sheet film in dry, windy environments most certainly have experienced the plague of dust. I work around it by using a grounded copier toner vacuum cleaner with conductive hose/brush to clean film holders, loading them in as close to clean room conditions as possible, then carrying loaded holders into the field inside reclossable aluminized polyester anti-static bags. They don't come out of the bags until right before insertion into a camera for exposure.

I deal with dust in cameras by using the same vacuum to clean their interiors regularly. My view cameras are all metal or wood with metal fittings. They don't hold a static charge. Adams mentioned that, if static became a problem, it was sometimes necessary to run a wire from the camera to ground. I have absolutely no idea how one could deal with static in an acrylic camera. Laminate something like those aluminized mylar bags to continuously bleed off the inevitable charge? Just a wild idea. Good luck.

Bob Salomon
27-Mar-2018, 14:19
Static can be a problem if you have a discharge (like a mini lighting strike) but the more pressing problem is dust. Static electricity attracts dust. That's why it is used to make dust filters. But you notmally don't want dust everywhere in a camera.

There are spray solutions for acrylic to eliminate static problems. Any plastic supply house should have it.

stevelmx5
27-Mar-2018, 15:42
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't have dry dusty conditions to test my Chroma in unfortunately but from using the camera indoors and having it inside bags etc I haven't noticed an excessive amount of dust build up on either the internals or externals. There are numerous rough texture matt black adhesive vinyl light seals within the camera and at each end of the bellows so the risk of dust build up within the camera is limited. The rear film holder unit also contains the same light seals which should again reduce the risk.

SParis
28-Jul-2019, 20:02
Where I am, in Michigan, the relative humidity right now is 87% That's high; normal summer humidity is more like 70 to 75%
In any case, static electricity is way, way down on my worry list.