PDA

View Full Version : Empty 4x5 Film Box

ttrout
23-Mar-2018, 15:58
Anyone have an empty 4x5 film box they wouldn’t mind sending me? I’m just starting out and don’t have an empty film box to transfer exposed film to.

Thanks,
Travis

Leigh
23-Mar-2018, 16:10
Hi Travis,

Need to know your location.

You might add that to your profile so it shows up on every post.

- Leigh

ttrout
23-Mar-2018, 16:31
Thank you, I’ve updated my profile. I’m located in Rockledge, Florida.

RJ-
23-Mar-2018, 16:48
Hi Trout,

I've got quite a few spare 4x5 inch film boxes and inserts although I'm based in London, England.

If you have no luck, happy to send you some for the postage.

Kind regards,
RJ

ttrout
23-Mar-2018, 17:27
Thanks, RJ, I appreciate it.

EdSawyer
23-Mar-2018, 17:45
If you want to cover postage I can likely spare one probably

Jac@stafford.net
23-Mar-2018, 17:54
Anyone have an empty 4x5 film box they wouldn’t mind sending me? I’m just starting out and don’t have an empty film box to transfer exposed film to.

Do any of our members think there might be a market for three-part film boxes? One modest approach could be downloadable patterns in a common format for DIY enthusiasts. Anyone with a paper cutter and tape could make them.

??

RJ-
23-Mar-2018, 18:28
Do any of our members think there might be a market for three-part film boxes? One modest approach could be downloadable patterns in a common format for DIY enthusiasts. Anyone with a paper cutter and tape could make them.

??

No - Simply, I think we all need to shoot more :)

Kind regards,
RJ

Nodda Duma
24-Mar-2018, 04:32
OP, PM me if you haven’t found any empties yet. I can send you a couple.

Regarding sourcing new boxes, I have recent, hard-earned experience with that:

When I needed boxes for my 4”x5” dry plates, I couldn’t find new ones ready-made so I ended up making a custom order for several hundred .. the only way to get a reasonable per-unit price (by reasonable I mean near what people typically want for used, empty boxes).

The boxes are same construction/material as jewelry presentation boxes — a common name for certain style of box material and construction, and as I had them made are very similar to the sheet film boxes from the big film companies.

So if you’re going to get your own made, that’s the style of box you’ll want to discuss with the manufacturer as a starting point. They will be confused by the term 3-piece box, so share pictures of examples.

Also, typical Kraft paperboard type boxes are NOT light tight, so you might be disappointed if you cut and tape together your own.

-Jason

diversey
24-Mar-2018, 05:34
Please PM me your shipping address and I will send you a couple of boxes. David

LabRat
24-Mar-2018, 13:06
This will be a temporary problem, as it won't last once you empty your first boxes of film... ;-)

Steve K

DG 3313
24-Mar-2018, 15:18
The good old days.....I got my first empty box from Custom Photographic in Dublin, Ca. Thanks Guys.........I took the loaded film holders to them to be developed and they set me up........

Thanks,
Travis

tiggycat
1-Apr-2018, 15:23
Hi RJ,

I am in the same position as the original poster, except that I am in the UK. If you still have some boxes , could I purchase 3 or 4 off you, please?

RJ-
4-Apr-2018, 03:40
Hi

Send your address and I'll pack 4 boxes in the post to you over the weekend.

Kind regards
RJ

Michael Wellman
6-Apr-2018, 11:47
While you're waiting to build your 'empty' box inventory you can use a regular box and use aluminum foil to wrap your negs in. I sandwich the film between two pieces of cardboard. Cheap and easy fix