PDA

View Full Version : gases vs paper

John D Gerndt
21-Aug-2005, 17:12
I know the best idea is to try out that which I question but I am scared and want some input from those with a chemistry background. If my paper is shot I want some time to prepare for the blow.

What happened is that I build a box to store my 20x24 paper in, 2 boxes of Agfa and 2 of AZO. I polyurethaned the box inside and out and let it air dry for three days before putting the paper into storage in my basement. When I opened the box reciently I was awash in fumes, not of polyurethane but of formaldehyde from the Luan plywood I made the box from. I noted its smell when I was cutting the wood but thought the polyurethane (3 coats) would seal it. Now I am wondering if my paper is toast having been stored in a box of chemistry. Has anyone a clue?

Horrified,

Bruce Watson
21-Aug-2005, 18:11
Really, the only thing you can do is try a sheet and see.

Brian C. Miller
21-Aug-2005, 19:58
The box will "out-gass" for a while, probably weeks. This simply means that the gasses will continue to seep out until the plywood glue has fully cured. A sealant which stops a liquid may not stop a gas, so this is reasonable.

Most likely your paper is just fine. Its in a plastic bag inside a box, so the gas is hugely unlikely to have an effect on it. Even if it were sitting in the open, the gas still wouldn't affect it. If your box is dripping chemicals onto the paper, then that's a problem.

Donald Qualls
22-Aug-2005, 12:10
FWIW, formaldehyde is a hardener of gelatin, but isn't (AFAIK) a foggant or desensitizer; there have been formaldehyde based pre-development hardening baths sold and used for films at times. So you may find that paper stored in the nice new paper cabinet will be slower developing, fixing, and especially washing (might just want to use factorial development, double your fixing time and use a wash test of some kind to be sure) -- but it's unlikely to be harmed in terms of losing clean whites, changing contrast, or losing exposure speed.

John D Gerndt
22-Aug-2005, 19:35
Thanks to all, especially Donald. I will report on the effect if any.

Cheers,