View Full Version : Routing the pneumatic connection on a Packard that's as big as the lensboard

23-Mar-2018, 13:08
I'm installing a Packard shutter onto a 6x6 lensboard and the Packard's case is nearly as big as the lensboard. It's a tight enough fit that I have very little room to bring the air tube out beside the case of the shutter. I've seen a couple of references to bringing the tube out through the corner of the case where one of the mounting screws would be, but I'm not finding any solid info on how to do this. I assume there must be come kind of double-barb nipple fitting that passes through the hole I'm going to have to drill, but I'm not sure what this is called or where to buy one. Additionally, once you put the air fitting through, how do you secure the shutter at that corner?

Thanks as always.

Lou Baleur
23-Mar-2018, 13:16
Yes, drill a hole through the shutter just big enough to pull the hose through. I am not home and can't send you a pic--but it's not difficult--disassemble the packard shutter and just make sure you see where there is no interferance from the shutter blades--if the shutter is well used, you'll see the maximum radius of the shutter worn in the housing. I need not be through a mounting hole(which are too small to fit a hose anyways).

Tin Can
23-Mar-2018, 13:38
Almost every situation for this is a bit different. There is/was a double ended pass-through fitting for the hose. It was threaded for an inch or so with 2 locking collars.

Like a hollow bolt with the head missing and 2 nuts. You could make one.

Finding the least destructive way out of the camera box is the trick. It's also a good reason for big lens boards.

Barry at Failed Deardorff had the last stash of NOS adapters. I last saw them on eBay years ago and you might guess where they went.

Here is a 50's Linhof Kardan Color that has 9" lens boards. I adapted it to take Horseman/Sinar boards. I can shoot a barrel lens or shutter. The Packard is always ready.

The tape covers a second hole for the Flash Sync cable and the 2 dark circles are hook and loop to hold the flash trigger.

I have seen copper tubing used occasionally.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/800/40974299631_0675aa16e9_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/25qKZKV)IMG-0954 (https://flic.kr/p/25qKZKV) by moe.randy (https://www.flickr.com/photos/tincancollege/), on Flickr

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/794/40081329655_2b5ec94490_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/244RhTR)IMG-0951 (https://flic.kr/p/244RhTR) by moe.randy (https://www.flickr.com/photos/tincancollege/), on Flickr

23-Mar-2018, 14:10
Yeah that adapter/port you have showing on the front is pretty much exactly what I want to do (ideally).

Tin Can
23-Mar-2018, 14:18
Poly tube could work too. This is just an example. Obviously the product not for us.