PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone tell me about the Wollensak 8x10 Symmetrical wide angle lens?

paulbarden
22-Mar-2018, 14:27
I'm looking to acquire a wide angle lens for my 8X10 and I don't want anything too "modern" (IE: clean and flawless) in terms of its optics. I plan on using it mainly for wet plate work, so I have been eyeing this Wollensak Symmetrical 7": https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wollensak-8x10-Symmetrical-Brass-Wide-Angle-Lens/282275410403?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

So, can anyone tell me what to expect from this lens? Is it junk, or will it give me some reasonable results for wet plate usage? Things like mild vignetting, rushing at the edges/sharpness drop-off, and that sort of thing are acceptable image characteristics. I have also sourced a 7" Wide Field Ektar, but I'm thinking it may be more of a lens than I need for what I am planning.

Thanks for any feedback you can give!
Paul

Dan Fromm
22-Mar-2018, 16:09
Wide angle rectilinear, claimed coverage 80-85 degrees. See http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/wollensak_12.html pages 12 and 16.

Greg
22-Mar-2018, 17:01
The lens is really on the slow side for wet plate use... IMHO.

paulbarden
22-Mar-2018, 17:05
The lens is really on the slow side for wet plate use... IMHO.

Actually, when considering a landscape lens without a shutter, a slower lens can be a huge asset.

Vaughn
22-Mar-2018, 18:33
Actually, when considering a landscape lens without a shutter, a slower lens can be a huge asset. I thought that was what f/90 was for! LOL!

Louis Pacilla
22-Mar-2018, 19:13
Hey Paul NO this is a not great deal for this particular WA Rectilinear. This was the least expensive 8x10 wide angle lens that Wollensak sold into the late 1920-30-s a simple W A Rectilinear in an oversized barrel and should not be priced above $100 USD w/ flange and that would be tops IMHO.

If you want "the look" of wet plate "brass" then by a 188o-90-s WA Rectilinear RD Grey Extreme Angle Periscope or Darlot WA Rectilinear w/ lever iris and loads of other manufacturers of a period 1880-1900 ( some costing a bit more).

If you want a bit better corrections & still a Wollensak get a 6 1/2" f9 WA Velostigmat Antistigmat or less corrections but sharp enough but & more coverage then get a 6 1/2" f12.5 Extreme Angle Velostigmat. all choices could be had for just a little more the Wollensak WA Rec w/ out flange that Seawood is selling.

paulbarden
22-Mar-2018, 20:15
Hey Paul NO this is a not great deal for this particular WA Rectilinear. This was the least expensive 8x10 wide angle lens that Wollensak sold into the late 1920-30-s a simple W A Rectilinear in an oversized barrel and should not be priced above $100 USD w/ flange and that would be tops IMHO.

If you want "the look" of wet plate "brass" then by a 188o-90-s WA Rectilinear RD Grey Extreme Angle Periscope or Darlot WA Rectilinear w/ lever iris and loads of other manufacturers of a period 1880-1900 ( some costing a bit more).

If you want a bit better corrections & still a Wollensak get a 6 1/2" f9 WA Velostigmat Antistigmat or less corrections but sharp enough but & more coverage then get a 6 1/2" f12.5 Extreme Angle Velostigmat. all choices could be had for just a little more the Wollensak WA Rec w/ out flange that Seawood is selling.

Thank you, Louis! You just saved me from buying a mediocre lens!

goamules
27-Mar-2018, 19:21
I have the Wollensak Wide Angle Symmetrical:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2758/4128603618_92fb4b8534_o.png

It's a good lens for what I paid (about $25 if I recall). I also like Louis' other recommendations, and have them all. Most early wide angles are very sharp on wetplate. It's tiny, but hard to see the ground glass to focus, because it's so slow. The Darlot lever stop WAs are pretty good too, and fun to use, and brighter.

You could also look for a classic landscape meniscus lens, made by many. They have an empty hole in the front, and the glass in the rear. Very sharp, used by wetplate photographers from the earliest days until the 1880s. Scovill, Anthony (Darlot), Dallmeyer, and more.