PDA

View Full Version : New Video from LargeSense

f9likethekey
21-Mar-2018, 09:07
Interesting video from LargeSense about their LS911

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgpioaDb3Fs

Light Guru
21-Mar-2018, 12:49
I find it funny that they only put a 4gb sd card into the camera.

I wish they would have said the resolution of the sensor.

Jac@stafford.net
21-Mar-2018, 13:57
Gee, could anyone make the process more daunting?

f9likethekey
21-Mar-2018, 14:40
From their website:

12 megapixels
Full frame 3888 x 3072 and optional crop sizes: 3840 × 2160, 3840 x 1600, 1920 x 1080.

http://www.largesense.com/products/8x10-large-format-digital-back-ls911/

I agree though, that the video made the process seem like a checklist for nuclear ordinance disposal. Just wanted to pass the video along, not my bag. I'll stick with my Chamonix.

Joshua Dunn
21-Mar-2018, 15:08
That video was so badly put together I would never invest in the technology. The woman in the video not only did not understand the digital back but the large format front standard and lens use. If the owner of the company cares so little to put a real video together then it makes me feel he doesn't take his product or photography seriously. But if you were serious about a digital back on a large format camera, why wouldn't you just get a Hasselblad adapter for a 4x5 and then rent a Hasselblad digital back? It would cost you less and way out perform that monstrosity. Being 4x5 it would be much easier to manage (you could shoot it in the field) and you would have an infinite choice of lenses.

Not to mention it's expected to cost $104,000 for a 12 Megapixel camera body.

I'll never get that 8:36 seconds of my life back...

-Joshua

Tin Can
21-Mar-2018, 15:43
Yep. Stupid video. Lousy device. Somebody is smoking.

I almost posted it, but why...

Greg
21-Mar-2018, 16:21
Am in the process of adapting a Epson Perfection V39 scanner to my 8x10. Still life only. Will be able to use it in the field with my Macbook Pro. Total cost $59.99 for the refurbished V39. Focus with the GG on the back and then replace it with the V39. Use digital negatives to print on Salt and Platinum/Palladium so should pay for itself quite quickly. Will it replace my shooting 8x10 film... absolutely, definitely NO, but an option for me to use in the future.

domaz
21-Mar-2018, 17:55
Am in the process of adapting a Epson Perfection V39 scanner to my 8x10. Still life only. Will be able to use it in the field with my Macbook Pro. Total cost $59.99 for the refurbished V39. Focus with the GG on the back and then replace it with the V39. Use digital negatives to print on Salt and Platinum/Palladium so should pay for itself quite quickly. Will it replace my shooting 8x10 film... absolutely, definitely NO, but an option for me to use in the future.

Will be curious if you succeed. Seems like doing this is plagued with difficulties that are hard to solve without knowing how to modify the scanner's firmware or hardware.

sperdynamite
21-Mar-2018, 18:56
I think I'll stick with Portra and Ektar, yikes.

Sal Santamaura
21-Mar-2018, 20:59
So, I always wondered what the point of this low-megapixel large sensor was. So, I long ago read the stuff about how longer focal length lenses render completely differently than typical small-sensor digital cameras do. So, so what? So, it's still just 12 megapixels. So, I bought a 12-megapixel Canon G9 ten years ago that can do everything this thing can, only better and easier. So, there's a reason there have been no reports of marketplace success by this enterprise. So, the reason is, there's no real reason for it.

So, perhaps the audience who appreciates videos like that will somehow end up with enough cash to actually buy such a, so, cool gadget. :)

cdavis324
22-Mar-2018, 05:53
There was an article on aphoteditor a few years ago about Mitchell Feinberg’s 8x10 digital backs(that he only uses for proofing). I had hoped that large sense would have created a digital back that could slide under an 810 ground glass... like I believe Feinberg’s is. I can see a market for a low res 8x10 sensor that can replace Polaroid, but not sure who this is geared for...

The quality of the video is a different story - not sure why they would invest so much in the tech and skimp on the marketing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DennisD
23-Mar-2018, 16:24
I took a look at the video and came away scratching my head.
I don't understand the benefit of 12mpx on such a large format, not to even mention the price.
Does something like this LS911 have a special niche ?
I keep thinking that the person who went to the length of building & developing this must know something I don't.
What Am I missing ? Someone, please enlighten me.

I'm sorry to be negative - aside from this system's apparent lack of viability, the video comes across as downright foolish. The presenter's performance and obvious lack of knowledge detract significantly from any credibility there might be.

Tin Can
23-Mar-2018, 16:37
In a year or so, a curator will discover somebody using it.

It will be acclaimed as great art.

Mark my words.

or not

Bill Christian
24-Mar-2018, 13:04
For future videos I'll have a more informative person in them. My public speaking voice is not very clear and Holly speaks really well. Once the camera stand was done a week ago Friday I worked to put together a video quickly showing camera operation. I plan to keep posting videos and photos.

The LS911 will always have a very small market. If there were a lot of buyers then there would already be such cameras for sale. With the small market you have to make compromises. I assume the market is too small for a company such as PhaseOne. What the camera offers is 8x10 single shot digital capture.

The LS45, the 4x5 digital back is much more popular than the LS911. The LS45 will be able to attach to existing film cameras.

The biggest complaint is that mega pixels. So it is not for everyone.

Looking at the photos of Mitchell Feinberg's digital back it looks like it is too thick to slip under ground glass. I assume he had a custom back made to accommodate digital, ground glass and film. The LS911 is a all in one unit so it is thicker than his.

About the 4GB card in the video: I only use it for testing. I save images internally and transfer them with the network, or I use a USB3 SSD drive.

Feel free to ask me any questions.

Bill Charbonnet
http://largesense.com/

lawsonpix
12-Apr-2018, 13:25
For future videos I'll have a more informative person in them. My public speaking voice is not very clear and Holly speaks really well. Once the camera stand was done a week ago Friday I worked to put together a video quickly showing camera operation. I plan to keep posting videos and photos.

The LS911 will always have a very small market. If there were a lot of buyers then there would already be such cameras for sale. With the small market you have to make compromises. I assume the market is too small for a company such as PhaseOne. What the camera offers is 8x10 single shot digital capture.

The LS45, the 4x5 digital back is much more popular than the LS911. The LS45 will be able to attach to existing film cameras.

The biggest complaint is that mega pixels. So it is not for everyone.

Looking at the photos of Mitchell Feinberg's digital back it looks like it is too thick to slip under ground glass. I assume he had a custom back made to accommodate digital, ground glass and film. The LS911 is a all in one unit so it is thicker than his.

About the 4GB card in the video: I only use it for testing. I save images internally and transfer them with the network, or I use a USB3 SSD drive.

Feel free to ask me any questions.

Bill Charbonnet
http://largesense.com/

Thanks for joining the discussion Bill! Funny, I made a video about a DIY Large Format digital back camera a few days before you posted your video. I said "no one is making these" in my video. Then to my surprise, your video shows up... So I had to go back and link to your video to show that someone IS making these.

Mine cost a little over $1000 for the tripod, tripod rig, camera body, lens etc. (I already owned my DSLR.) Mine is not very commercially viable but just a fun project.

https://youtu.be/BVPlG9EeLU0

Tin Can
12-Apr-2018, 13:38
Interesting. I have all the parts!

I think I would video more than still.

Thanks, it was fantastic without sound. I seldom turn on sound.

Tin Can
12-Apr-2018, 13:39
And I am forwarding this to my video friends!

Bill Christian
12-Apr-2018, 14:09
Your project looks nice. I tried something like that years ago but with a more primitive setup. My issue was bright light sources head on. Suddenly there seems to be an interest in large format video. Zev Hoover made a setup with a tilt lens recording a projected image.

I need to get out more and take video with the LS911. Perhaps this weekend.

Bill

Thanks for joining the discussion Bill! Funny, I made a video about a DIY Large Format digital back camera a few days before you posted your video. I said "no one is making these" in my video. Then to my surprise, your video shows up... So I had to go back and link to your video to show that someone IS making these.

Mine cost a little over $1000 for the tripod, tripod rig, camera body, lens etc. (I already owned my DSLR.) Mine is not very commercially viable but just a fun project.

lawsonpix
12-Apr-2018, 17:50
Your project looks nice. I tried something like that years ago but with a more primitive setup. My issue was bright light sources head on. Suddenly there seems to be an interest in large format video. Zev Hoover made a setup with a tilt lens recording a projected image.

I need to get out more and take video with the LS911. Perhaps this weekend.

Bill

Yes, I have seen Zev Hoover's video. His setup is quite impressive. He's shifting, not tilting the wide angle lens on his DSLR. I attempted his idea but I tried to shift my LF camera lens instead of my DSLR lens. After looking at my results. I decided to continue down the road I'm already on. Shooting the ground glass. Since I'm already in it for a $1000..... lol

I spoke with him in Facebook and he said he is currently working on a version 2 of his camera. Can't wait to see what he comes up with.

Tin Can
12-Apr-2018, 18:03
I don't understand how this can be called Large Format.

You are shooting and capturing on DSLR with an LF lens and a filter, the GG.

I find it interesting, but not LF.

Don't stop!

lawsonpix
12-Apr-2018, 18:44
I don't understand how this can be called Large Format.

You are shooting and capturing on DSLR with an LF lens and a filter, the GG.

I find it interesting, but not LF.

Don't stop!

You bring up a good point. Let's think about it.

The image goes through the lens, appears on a 4x5 sheet of ground glass. Then travels to another lens, and appears on a DSLR chip where it's recorded to digital format.

Let's say I put film in my camera. The image travels through the lens and hits the film. I develop the film and place it on a scanner where it's recorded to digital format.

The depth of field, the lighting, the focal point, are identical in each image. The resolution, grain, contrast, & quality are different, but the image is the same.

So I would call it LF photography. It's a 4x5 image.

DennisD
13-Apr-2018, 19:35
You bring up a good point. Let's think about it.

The image goes through the lens, appears on a 4x5 sheet of ground glass. Then travels to another lens, and appears on a DSLR chip where it's recorded to digital format.

Let's say I put film in my camera. The image travels through the lens and hits the film. I develop the film and place it on a scanner where it's recorded to digital format.

The depth of field, the lighting, the focal point, are identical in each image. The resolution, grain, contrast, & quality are different, but the image is the same.

So I would call it LF photography. It's a 4x5 image.

Ultimately the image is recorded on a sensor smaller than 4x5, so it's a hard sell as LF.
(As far as the Forum definition is concerned)

HOWEVER, This could be the beginning of another very lengthy debate or possibly WWIII considering some of the previous discussions on this Forum as to what constitutes large format !

All joking aside, your project is very interesting and creative. Thanks for sharing the idea.

lawsonpix
20-Apr-2018, 13:15
When I read the definition of what this Forum says is Large Format, It sure looks like this method fit in that category.

Forum: Digital Hardware
Large format digital hardware (cameras and backs (having a capture area of nominally 4x5 or larger), scanners, printers, etc

My film plane is 4x5. The photo is from a 4x5 camera. I don't want to start WWIII !! lol