PDA

View Full Version : Post Navy Retirement Trip

seabee1999
21-Mar-2018, 08:25
Since January of 1999, Iíve served in the US Navy and after almost 20 years, this November Iíll have a retirement ceremony and will start terminal leave. My hope is to do a west coast swing as a trip heading eastward to my new location near Norman, OK. With that said, my wife and I are expecting our 2nd daughter in June so she and the newborn and possibly my firstborn will fly out while I do the trip.

I know itís a bit early but Iíd like to get a few ideas in possible places to photograph, stay for a bit, meet fellow LFPs for coffee or lunch and other sundry things. For me, this trip will close out my time in the Navy and help open a new chapter in my life quite possibly as a full time photographer.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions. Mostly though, Iíd enjoy meeting other photographers even if itís just to share coffee or a beer along the trip.

V/R
Dave

tgtaylor
21-Mar-2018, 10:54
Sure - be glad to meet with you for a coffee or a beer. Send me an email when you have firm dates and we will hook up.

Thomas

seabee1999
21-Mar-2018, 10:58
Sure - be glad to meet with you for a coffee or a beer. Send me an email when you have firm dates and we will hook up.

Thomas

Thank you Thomas. I’ll send you my email shortly.

R/
Dave

Michael Clark
21-Mar-2018, 11:57
Dave congratulations, on retirement and your new baby to be, and thanks for the your service in the Armed forces. If you have a schedule where you will be I'd like to join you depending on how my wife is doing.

Mike

seabee1999
21-Mar-2018, 19:20
Dave congratulations, on retirement and your new baby to be, and thanks for the your service in the Armed forces. If you have a schedule where you will be I'd like to join you depending on how my wife is doing.

Mike

Thank Mike. Once I figure a route and departure I’ll let you know. My hope is to go leave from out of here and head north through the 395 corridor. After that, I’m pretty open to suggestions for places to go.

R/
Dave

seabee1999
27-Mar-2018, 15:37
Slowly but surely I am contemplating a route out of here. So far it includes stopping at Lee Vining for a night and photographing Mono Lake then onto Lake Tahoe and out the Sebastopol for a night at a friend's home. The following day, see the Redwoods and hopefully up to the Portland area. After that, possibly stopping by Mt. Rainier and then out towards Boise. From there, Yellowstone for a few days, down to Cheyenne for a night. My hope is to make it to Manitou Springs for a night and finally hitting Oklahoma the next day. I am hoping to have this about a 10+ day trip out and around. I just need to save some funds for film and other things.

Just wondering if there are any spots in between the places I mentioned for suggestions to stop at? I am not completely tied to the timing per se, but I don't want to venture too far off the route.

R/
Dave

Vaughn
27-Mar-2018, 15:46
Until June, I'll be in and out of Humboldt County -- mostly out. So let me know if you come thru in June or later!

While the highway is away from the coast often, the drive up the Oregon Coast is great...slow, though.

Jim Fitzgerald
27-Mar-2018, 17:03
Dave, congratulations! You can stay with June and I in Vancouver if you wish. We have plenty of room. I can meet you at Vaughn's as well.

seabee1999
27-Mar-2018, 18:43
Until June, I'll be in and out of Humboldt County -- mostly out. So let me know if you come thru in June or later!

While the highway is away from the coast often, the drive up the Oregon Coast is great...slow, though.

Thank you Vaughn. My trip will be start around the middle of November. I would enjoy a trip along the Oregon coast. I’ve never been there. This trip will be one of places I haven’t had a chance to go to because of time. My hope is to use any terminal leave before starting a new job/career. I’ll know solid dates here around August timeframe.

R/
Dave

seabee1999
27-Mar-2018, 18:48
Dave, congratulations! You can stay with June and I in Vancouver if you wish. We have plenty of room. I can meet you at Vaughn's as well.

Thanks Jim. I was hoping I could stay a night or two with you during my trip. I’ll message you later some details.

R/
Dave

HT Finley
27-Mar-2018, 21:18
I'll never know what is inside the sort of people that would enlist, being this is a volunteer military. It's something more than just the paid benefit incentives for after discharge. These are special people. I would never do that, but they do. Thank god for these people, whatever motivated them. That's all I know to say. Enjoy your photography.

seabee1999
28-Mar-2018, 09:50
I'll never know what is inside the sort of people that would enlist, being this is a volunteer military. It's something more than just the paid benefit incentives for after discharge. These are special people. I would never do that, but they do. Thank god for these people, whatever motivated them. That's all I know to say. Enjoy your photography.

Thank you HT Finley. It has been a fun ride to date and I will be sad to see it close later this year. Many things motivate others to join. For me personally, I wanted to not get stuck in the daily grind of doing assembly line work day in and day out. Before joining, I worked odds and ends jobs in a machine shop, construction and as a temp worker at a plastics plant assembling Ford truck vent louvers. I went to the temp agency rep one day and asked if there was anything else that I could go and work at. Her comment to me paraphrased was that the only thing I was good for was to work on a production line (I am not dissing production work, just at the time, it wasn't for me nor the answer I wanted to hear). After that conversation, I quit the company, talked to the Navy recruiter and the rest is 20 years of history and countless adventures. College incentives helped but what has kept me in longer were the friendships I made. The thing I will miss the most when I leave is camaraderie within the military.

R/
Dave

bloodhoundbob
28-Mar-2018, 11:56
Congratulations, Dave. My brother retired after 20 with the Navy at age 38 and maintained contact with his buddies until his death at age 80.

Merg Ross
28-Mar-2018, 12:30
Slowly but surely I am contemplating a route out of here. So far it includes stopping at Lee Vining for a night and photographing Mono Lake then onto Lake Tahoe and out the Sebastopol for a night at a friend's home. The following day, see the Redwoods and hopefully up to the Portland area. After that, possibly stopping by Mt. Rainier and then out towards Boise. From there, Yellowstone for a few days, down to Cheyenne for a night. My hope is to make it to Manitou Springs for a night and finally hitting Oklahoma the next day. I am hoping to have this about a 10+ day trip out and around. I just need to save some funds for film and other things.

Just wondering if there are any spots in between the places I mentioned for suggestions to stop at? I am not completely tied to the timing per se, but I don't want to venture too far off the route.

R/
Dave

As you will be on 395 (my favorite highway) heading to Mono Lake, the Alabama Hills are worth a stop outside Lone Pine. Mono Lake is about 125 miles north from there.

By the way, congratulations!

Jim Galli
28-Mar-2018, 13:46
Depending on time of year and if the planets align, perhaps I could meet you in the Ancient Bristlecone forest. It's best when the lowlands are hottest, as it's always cool up there. Tonopah and Goldfield always have something to yield. The pics are where you find them.

seabee1999
28-Mar-2018, 19:22
Congratulations, Dave. My brother retired after 20 with the Navy at age 38 and maintained contact with his buddies until his death at age 80.

Thank you bob. I am sure he had some great stories to share as well.

As you will be on 395 (my favorite highway) heading to Mono Lake, the Alabama Hills are worth a stop outside Lone Pine. Mono Lake is about 125 miles north from there.

By the way, congratulations!

Thanks Merg. I will have giant tears as I drive through the HWY 395. I started photographing Mono Lake when I was stationed in Fallon, NV. After my transfer about 10 years ago, I haven't been up that way since. I miss Mono Lake a lot. I has a great sentimental appeal to me. I love Lone Pine and will probably stop off there as well. I hope that there is another meet up out that way in May this year.

Depending on time of year and if the planets align, perhaps I could meet you in the Ancient Bristlecone forest. It's best when the lowlands are hottest, as it's always cool up there. Tonopah and Goldfield always have something to yield. The pics are where you find them.

That would be awesome Jim! I've never been to the bristlecone pine forest. Hopefully the road is still open when I pass through. Perhaps we could meet up if possible. I could do a swing out towards Beatty if you'd be willing to meet there for a coffee or beer.

R/
Dave

Nodda Duma
29-Mar-2018, 10:10
Seaebee, if youíre going up 395, you should stop at China Lake and check out their Naval Ordnance Museum. Cool stuff in there. It used to be on base, but I think itís outside the front gate now.

I hear you about that area of 395. I miss it too, sometimes. Plus the work was great. Go Navy.

-Jason

seabee1999
29-Mar-2018, 10:41
Seaebee, if you’re going up 395, you should stop at China Lake and check out their Naval Ordnance Museum. Cool stuff in there. It used to be on base, but I think it’s outside the front gate now.

I hear you about that area of 395. I miss it too, sometimes. Plus the work was great. Go Navy.

-Jason

Thanks Jason. You know what’s funny is that I did a project out there to help construct a new PEB on the range near a rock crusher and quarry the Seabees have. It was a very hot project and one I won’t forget to say the least. It maybe nice to stop by there and see friends I know who are currently stationed there before taking off. Thanks for the suggestion.

R/
Dave

bloodhoundbob
29-Mar-2018, 16:50
Thank you bob. I am sure he had some great stories to share as well.

Thanks Merg. I will have giant tears as I drive through the HWY 395. I started photographing Mono Lake when I was stationed in Fallon, NV. After my transfer about 10 years ago, I haven't been up that way since. I miss Mono Lake a lot. I has a great sentimental appeal to me. I love Lone Pine and will probably stop off there as well. I hope that there is another meet up out that way in May this year.

That would be awesome Jim! I've never been to the bristlecone pine forest. Hopefully the road is still open when I pass through. Perhaps we could meet up if possible. I could do a swing out towards Beatty if you'd be willing to meet there for a coffee or beer.

R/
Dave

Dave, he had many great stories to tell, most of which I had never heard until one day in 2010. At the time, I was a volunteer with the Veterans' History Project at the Prescott, Az, VAH. I convinced him to give his story to one of our interviewers, which he kindly did. I told him later that 90 percent of the stories he told were new to me, as I was in the second grade when he enlisted and he was stationed abroad most of his career. I strongly encourage all vets on here to tell your story, as it is a great gift for your family. Unfortunately, not all VA hospitals participate in the program at this time. The master copy of the interview is sent to the Library of Congress, one copy goes to the vet and the VAH keeps one or two copies.

seabee1999
30-Mar-2018, 13:06
Dave, he had many great stories to tell, most of which I had never heard until one day in 2010. At the time, I was a volunteer with the Veterans' History Project at the Prescott, Az, VAH. I convinced him to give his story to one of our interviewers, which he kindly did. I told him later that 90 percent of the stories he told were new to me, as I was in the second grade when he enlisted and he was stationed abroad most of his career. I strongly encourage all vets on here to tell your story, as it is a great gift for your family. Unfortunately, not all VA hospitals participate in the program at this time. The master copy of the interview is sent to the Library of Congress, one copy goes to the vet and the VAH keeps one or two copies.

I would love to do something like this for my dad before he passes. However, his health is deteriorating rather quickly that I do not think he has neither the strength nor desire to do something like this. My hope is to get with my wife and record something for my daughters sometime after I retire and share the few stories I know that they would enjoy for future listening. My 5 yr old isn't as interested now and our second ne is still baking in the oven until June this year........arriving just before my terminal leave.

R/
Dave

bloodhoundbob
30-Mar-2018, 15:21
I would love to do something like this for my dad before he passes. However, his health is deteriorating rather quickly that I do not think he has neither the strength nor desire to do something like this. My hope is to get with my wife and record something for my daughters sometime after I retire and share the few stories I know that they would enjoy for future listening. My 5 yr old isn't as interested now and our second ne is still baking in the oven until June this year........arriving just before my terminal leave.

R/
Dave

Dave, we always gave WWII veterans highest priority, of course. One of my favorite memories is when I observed the interview of a gentleman who had been a top turret gunner in a B-17. The VA at Prescott would travel to the home of a veteran if they were unable to come to us for the interview. We tried to encourage veterans to do an interview, but always took no for an answer, of course. This was the case with several Vietnam veterans who for whatever reason, declined to participate.

HMG
31-Mar-2018, 14:33
Thank you HT Finley. It has been a fun ride to date and I will be sad to see it close later this year. Many things motivate others to join. For me personally, I wanted to not get stuck in the daily grind of doing assembly line work day in and day out. Before joining, I worked odds and ends jobs in a machine shop, construction and as a temp worker at a plastics plant assembling Ford truck vent louvers. I went to the temp agency rep one day and asked if there was anything else that I could go and work at. Her comment to me paraphrased was that the only thing I was good for was to work on a production line (I am not dissing production work, just at the time, it wasn't for me nor the answer I wanted to hear). After that conversation, I quit the company, talked to the Navy recruiter and the rest is 20 years of history and countless adventures. College incentives helped but what has kept me in longer were the friendships I made. The thing I will miss the most when I leave is camaraderie within the military.

R/
Dave

The good thing about hearing someone tell you "the only thing you're good for" is that you know you don't have to bother to listen to anything they say.

Jac@stafford.net
31-Mar-2018, 15:41
seabee1999, I deeply appreciate your service. My father was WWII and Korea USN. I was Vietnam (64-70).

No matter where you travel please share the fact that our country is so vast and diversified that no citizens of other countries can possibly understand. Enjoy and best of luck.

Take the Blue Roads (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Highways)!

Best,
Jac

HT Finley
31-Mar-2018, 19:02
Man. Viet Nam from 1964 to 1970--hell on earth. I am so glad I was born a year or 2 too late to have been drafted into that horrible ordeal. Imagine being drafted into a war where the enemy was a total ruthless inhuman animal, and getting absolutely no thanks when you got home, if you got home. You guys are something. I feel honored to post whatever 2 cents worth I have to say on a forum with you men.

Jeff Donald
31-Mar-2018, 19:26
Just an FYI, Yellowstone is closed from early November to mid December, except the North entrance (Gardiner, MT/Mammouth Hot Springs). The Mammouth Hotel is scheduled to be closed at that time for renovation, so best to stay in Gardiner. The road is open to Tower Junction (closed below Tower) but is open to the Northeast Entrance to Silver Gate and Cooke City, just outside the park. Beyond Cooke City the road is closed (Beartooth Highway) until sometime in May.

seabee1999
2-Apr-2018, 08:42
The good thing about hearing someone tell you "the only thing you're good for" is that you know you don't have to bother to listen to anything they say.

Absolutely true.

seabee1999, I deeply appreciate your service. My father was WWII and Korea USN. I was Vietnam (64-70).

No matter where you travel please share the fact that our country is so vast and diversified that no citizens of other countries can possibly understand. Enjoy and best of luck.

Take the Blue Roads (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Highways)!

Best,
Jac

Thank you for your book suggestion. I'll have to pick it up and give it a read over the summer. My hope is to just enjoy the road and anyone i meet along the way.

Man. Viet Nam from 1964 to 1970--hell on earth. I am so glad I was born a year or 2 too late to have been drafted into that horrible ordeal. Imagine being drafted into a war where the enemy was a total ruthless inhuman animal, and getting absolutely no thanks when you got home, if you got home. You guys are something. I feel honored to post whatever 2 cents worth I have to say on a forum with you men.

Well I wasn't drafted but I did volunteer to join and stay in longer. Thank you for supporting all of us who have served.

Just an FYI, Yellowstone is closed from early November to mid December, except the North entrance (Gardiner, MT/Mammouth Hot Springs). The Mammouth Hotel is scheduled to be closed at that time for renovation, so best to stay in Gardiner. The road is open to Tower Junction (closed below Tower) but is open to the Northeast Entrance to Silver Gate and Cooke City, just outside the park. Beyond Cooke City the road is closed (Beartooth Highway) until sometime in May.

Good to know Jeff. I heard this before but thought it was a rumor to a certain extent. Even if I cannot get into the park, to see the area will be good enough for me.

R/
Dave

Leszek Vogt
2-Apr-2018, 14:50
Dave, if you are taking off in Nov....some of the areas can get icy or snowy. Hmm, Tioga Pass will likely be closed. Dang, Jim beat me to it - Bristlecone is superb. I've taken a night shot there, using a flashlight and it came out v. nice. You could venture to Bodie too. Also, I echo what Vaughn said: Oregon Coast is superb, tho I normally used that route when I descended to CA and escaped the Summer and overheated I-5. Enjoy the trip.

Les

HT Finley
2-Apr-2018, 21:37
Thank you seabee. You actually volunteered. I hope I might be allowed to relay my story about willingness. I had some of that--a wee tiny bit. Maybe not enough, but I did try. ON 12/31/74 I turned 18. A few months later I went down the the USMC recruiter and took home my papers for my Dad to sign. My parents were shocked in a way I would never have wanted them to be. I saw "estrangement" on their faces and things were never the same again. That upset me. shortly thereafter, the 1975 embassy thing happened, and it was finally over. I dreaded going there when I was a kid and "Keep on Dancing" was playing by the Gentrys. I grew up scared to death of the idea of going there. And there you were. I wonder if you were one of the guys getting the kool-aid packages and letters we were sending in school. I've heard that you guys came back to ambivalence. I don't know--I was just a youngster. Just know that there WERE school children who were thinking of you, and worried for your well being. Regards. PS: Live for photography, you deserve every happy minute of it.
Absolutely true.

Thank you for your book suggestion. I'll have to pick it up and give it a read over the summer. My hope is to just enjoy the road and anyone i meet along the way.

Well I wasn't drafted but I did volunteer to join and stay in longer. Thank you for supporting all of us who have served.

Good to know Jeff. I heard this before but thought it was a rumor to a certain extent. Even if I cannot get into the park, to see the area will be good enough for me.

R/
Dave

seabee1999
3-Apr-2018, 07:24
Dave, if you are taking off in Nov....some of the areas can get icy or snowy. Hmm, Tioga Pass will likely be closed. Dang, Jim beat me to it - Bristlecone is superb. I've taken a night shot there, using a flashlight and it came out v. nice. You could venture to Bodie too. Also, I echo what Vaughn said: Oregon Coast is superb, tho I normally used that route when I descended to CA and escaped the Summer and overheated I-5. Enjoy the trip.

Les

Thank you Les. I was planning to head up through Bridgeport to Lake Tahoe for one last venture through there. But, you never know. Maybe, just maybe the Tioga Pass could be open during that time.

Thank you seabee. You actually volunteered. I hope I might be allowed to relay my story about willingness. I had some of that--a wee tiny bit. Maybe not enough, but I did try. ON 12/31/74 I turned 18. A few months later I went down the the USMC recruiter and took home my papers for my Dad to sign. My parents were shocked in a way I would never have wanted them to be. I saw "estrangement" on their faces and things were never the same again. That upset me. shortly thereafter, the 1975 embassy thing happened, and it was finally over. I dreaded going there when I was a kid and "Keep on Dancing" was playing by the Gentrys. I grew up scared to death of the idea of going there. And there you were. I wonder if you were one of the guys getting the kool-aid packages and letters we were sending in school. I've heard that you guys came back to ambivalence. I don't know--I was just a youngster. Just know that there WERE school children who were thinking of you, and worried for your well being. Regards. PS: Live for photography, you deserve every happy minute of it.

Nope, never a Kool-Aid kid. I heard my dad's stories of Vietnam and grew up with an appreciation for the military. I wanted to do my part as well. Nothing special but thankful to be in for 20 years and now it's coming to an end.

R/
Dave

HT Finley
3-Apr-2018, 20:35
Actually seabee, I had misaddressed you and was thinking of the Viet Nam vet from the 60's. Though misaddressed, the same regards may go just as well to any of you. With that, I'll cease posting here, as I have nothing other to add. I got to speak a few times with some American service people and they answered me back kindly. That's neat as heck. I still owe this forum a layout on a non-destructive, reversable Super Graphic solenoid power supply conversion.

bloodhoundbob
4-Apr-2018, 20:42
Actually seabee, I had misaddressed you and was thinking of the Viet Nam vet from the 60's. Though misaddressed, the same regards may go just as well to any of you. With that, I'll cease posting here, as I have nothing other to add. I got to speak a few times with some American service people and they answered me back kindly. That's neat as heck. I still owe this forum a layout on a non-destructive, reversable Super Graphic solenoid power supply conversion.

I was in Vietnam in '66-'67 and never discussed it with anyone for many years. Not because I was in an Army spy unit, but trying to explain Vietnam to someone who had not been there would be like someone trying to teach me Calculus. My son recently took a two week vacation there and brought back many beautiful pics. It really is a beautiful country, but I hardly recognized it from his photos.

seabee1999
1-Oct-2018, 13:46
I know that I started this a few months back but I pretty much solidified my route out of SoCal and eventually over to Oklahoma. As it looks right now, the dates and route below are pretty solid barring any weather delays that are unforeseen.

Nov 17 - Leave here and head to Mono Lake
Nov 18 - Leave Mono Lake and head for San Fran/Sebastobal
Nov 19 - Leave Sebastobal towards the Redwoods and/or Crater Lake area
Nov 20 - Leave RW/CL to Vancouver, WA (Jim's)
Nov 21 - Leave Jim's and head to Boise (niece)
Nov 22 - Stay in Boise for Thanksgiving
Nov 23 - Leave Boise for Pinedale, WY
Nov 24 - Tetons area
Nov 25 - Tetons/Yellowstone area
Nov 26 - Yellowstone area
Nov 27 - Leave Yellowstone area to Devils Tower
Nov 28 - Leave Devils Tower for Cheyenne
Nov 29 - Leave Cheyenne for somewhere in Colorado
Nov 30 - Hope to hit Norman, OK

This is a hopeful plan for my route. Not sure how it will work fully but if anyone here is on this route and would like to meet up just shoot me a PM.

On a side note, at the end of Oct (26, 27, 28), I'll be driving through AZ, NM and the panhandle of TX. I will be driving my Jeep through the area to park it in OK and then fly back for my retirement ceremony. I will use the I-40 corridor to OK. Hopefully I can meet a few folks on that trip as well.

R/
Dave

Jim Fitzgerald
1-Oct-2018, 16:24
Dave, have a safe trip and look forward to your stay on the 20th.

seabee1999
1-Oct-2018, 19:20
Dave, have a safe trip and look forward to your stay on the 20th.

Thank you Jim. I am so looking forward to this trip.

R/
Dave