PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Kodak 8x10 master

Ernest_5795
20-Aug-2005, 21:34
Dear all,

I am hoping to purchase a Kodak 8x10 Master camera and I have some questions which I hope you all can help me with.

1. How much should I be paying for a Kodak 8x10 Master camera in a fairly decent condition?

2. What should I look out for and test when I purchase one.

3. This is a long shot, where in Tokyo, Japan can I find one?

4. Is there a Polaroid type 55 equivalent in 8x10 format? If there is what Polaroid holder should I get for the Kodak 8x10 Master Camera.

I appreaciate you taking your time to read this, looking forward to your reply.

Thank you in advance.

Ernest

Mark Sawyer
20-Aug-2005, 22:07
1. How much should I be paying for a Kodak 8x10 Master camera in a fairly decent condition?

About $1200-1500 on ebay, $1400-1600 at a dealer where you can actually play with it before buying.

2. What should I look out for and test when I purchase one.

The usual; smooth movements along the geared tracks, movements lock down securely, all knobs are there, bellows in good shape and light-tight, and good threads in the tripod mount, (not stripped or crossthreaded). It has some plastic/bakelite parts you will want to inspect to make sure they're not cracked.

Be aware that it takes a custom lensboard that's rare used and expensive for a reproduction, ($100/board, or there abouts.) A few have been modified to take a standard 6" board. (I did this to mine in such a way that it could be converted back to original.) One could also make a Master Board into an adaptor for a smaller (4"?) square board, which might restrict the use of large lenses but make for a smaller lens kit when hiking.

3. This is a long shot, where in Tokyo, Japan can I find one?

No idea, but you could probably double the price estimate...

The 8x10 Master is a wonderful camera. Hope you find one and enjoy using it!

John Kasaian
20-Aug-2005, 23:01
I think lensboards might still be available from Michael and Paula, but I'm guessing. I know he had some made up quite awhile back.

I used to have one---excellent cameras, very precise. Tough too, but watch out for broken parts---you can't just glue 'em back together with Elmers.

Your best bet might be from Jim at Midwest Camera.

What are they worth? Priceless!

What should you pay for one? I'd go with Mark's figures.

Cheers!

Will Strain
20-Aug-2005, 23:35
As far as I know there is no equivalent to type 55 for 8x10. Tho I would be very very happy if there was one.

Ernest_5795
21-Aug-2005, 01:40
Dear All,

thank you for your replies.
Hopefully one comes up on ebay soon.
Impossble to find one where i am.

Ernest

David Hempenstall
21-Aug-2005, 03:51
remember prices are getting a bit out of hand on these cameras.

I have two (both bought in sydney, australia).

I got a voigtlander 450 skopar in compound with a body for A$1500, the other came with a 300mm no-name for A$1200.

The only reason I have two is because I now live in a place where theft while out working is a bit high and repais/parts are not really easy. they are very tough, logical cameras. light as well.

so, don't pay too much. remember the wehman (sp?) camera can be had for less than what some masters have sold for.

I converted a spair board over to accept small linhof boards, easy to do. you can get a copal 3 onto a tech board, so unless the shutters/lenses are huge, this might be a way around the need for lots of boards. remember the original boards bend easy as well. M Smiths boards were stronger I think.

check the cork on the front standard (rise/fall/tilt). you may need to put something in there to beef the grip up. mine seem pretty tight after 50+ years of the commercial guys beating them. One was a fella's fashion camera....

also check the extension teeth/slots on the front standard. sometimes the notch may have an edge damaged that will make the locking a little less secure. there are two to check.

have fun.

D.

tim atherton
22-Aug-2005, 08:11
lensboards, apparently in stock - no idea how good a fit they are

http://www.skgrimes.com/lensboards/index.htm