PDA

View Full Version : Chamonix 045N Going Rusty

IanBarber
13-Mar-2018, 14:02
The metal along the edge focus rail is going rusty and I was wondering if anyone else is seeing this and if they have managed to clean it off

Two23
13-Mar-2018, 16:16
Haven't seen this on mine, but I live in a pretty cold and dry climate.

Kent in SD

Corran
14-Mar-2018, 15:50
Mine too, and I do live in a humid environment and have hiked it all over the place, sometimes in the rain.

Sorry I don't have any suggestions, it doesn't bother me.

Greg
14-Mar-2018, 16:12
When I have worked with my Chamonix View Camera in very humid, wet, or salty sea spray conditions, have carefully wiped down the metal parts with WD-40 and then wiped them down again with a dry cloth. On returning home re-wipe them down with alcohol rubs. Today the metal still looks great, 0% rust. Wear marks from usage are scars that I am proud to have.

cp_photo
24-Mar-2018, 14:45
Greg, do you think there is any chance of the WD-40 having a negative effect on the carbon fiber components? I ask because I have a 045-N1.

Greg
24-Mar-2018, 16:36
Greg, do you think there is any chance of the WD-40 having a negative effect on the carbon fiber components? I ask because I have a 045-N1.

Good question... I have done this only a hand full of times using so very, very little WD-40 and wiping it down after use that even if WD40 had a negative effect on the carbon fiber, I would't have experienced it.

HMG
24-Mar-2018, 19:21
I haven't tried it myself, but this (https://www.big45metalcleaner.com/index.php/cart/) has been recommended for cleaning rust off of firearms. In the past, I've just used 0000 steel wool with oil.