PDA

View Full Version : Linhof Technikardan Monorail

FelixBabakuntos
13-Mar-2018, 11:31
Does anybody have experience with the first version (assuming based on the 'West Germany' mark) of the Technikardan that appears to use a fixed monorail versus the later collapsible one? Based on appearance, I am assuming that it doesn't pack flat like the later model due to both standards being inline, but does it still have the complicated folding technique, instability at extension etc. that seem to bother users?

Bob Salomon
13-Mar-2018, 11:43
Does anybody have experience with the first version (assuming based on the 'West Germany' mark) of the Technikardan that appears to use a fixed monorail versus the later collapsible one? Based on appearance, I am assuming that it doesn't pack flat like the later model due to both standards being inline, but does it still have the complicated folding technique, instability at extension etc. that seem to bother users?

The original TK and it’s replacement the TKs are identical in function and features except that the s model has a three piece standard front and rear and the front standard is wider. The original model had a one piece standard that was ent into an L shape and the front one was narrower the the rear one in addition the s version added a click detent for front and rear tilt. The original did not have a click detention. They open and old exactly the same way and have the same rails.

FelixBabakuntos
13-Mar-2018, 14:48
Hi Bob, by 'first version' I did not mean to draw a comparison between the TK and TKs. Rather I am finding what appear to be early Technikardans for sale where their monorail is a single piece (see attached) rather than the more ubiquitous collapsible one. Is this its own variant of the Technikardan, and if so would it be compatible with a replacement collapsible monorail?

Bob Salomon
13-Mar-2018, 14:59
Hi Bob, by 'first version' I did not mean to draw a comparison between the TK and TKs. Rather I am finding what appear to be early Technikardans for sale where their monorail is a single piece (see attached) rather than the more ubiquitous collapsible one. Is this its own variant of the Technikardan, and if so would it be compatible with a replacement collapsible monorail?

Those were made for the Linhof distributor in Japan who didn’t want the collapsible rail for their market. It was never offered by Linhof as a general product.
This is similar to the old Technika Standard which had very limited controls that was made exclusively for the US market to compete with Graflex.

I haven’t seen one of these since it was first introduced, about 87 and don’t remember if the rail mount was the same. But if it is buying a complete base and rail has to be more then a used TKs.

faberryman
13-Mar-2018, 15:31
I think I saw one for sale on eBay from a Spanish seller a while back. It didn't look right. I thought it was a Frankenkardan.

Bob Salomon
13-Mar-2018, 16:52
I think I saw one for sale on eBay from a Spanish seller a while back. It didn't look right. I thought it was a Frankenkardan.

Actually it wasn’t a first version. It was made after the original TK was introduced. So, theoretically, it is probably a second version. After the original TK and before the TKS.