PDA

View Full Version : Universal bellows

Conrad . Marvin
7-Mar-2018, 09:16
Anyone have experience with the bellows that have a short “bag” section in the front? I need to replace the bellows on my Ebony 4x5. Ebony is no more so I looked around and found that Custom Bellows in the UK can make a replacement in either configuration...with or without bag section. Any thoughts?

Keith Pitman
7-Mar-2018, 10:09
Get the universal/bag bellows.

Drew Wiley
7-Mar-2018, 14:15
My 4X5 Ebony has it. Works well with lenses 90mm to 360. Haven't tried anything shorter.

Bob Salomon
7-Mar-2018, 14:21
That used to be the way that Linhof made wide angle bellows for their Kardan cameras. We got so many calls from users who mounted them backwards that we finally got Linhof to change to just a bag. Guess we were not the only distributor complaining about that design!

Conrad . Marvin
7-Mar-2018, 14:55
Good Input and information, I do tend to use lenses in the 210-450 range as well and was a bit worried that there might be some bellows sag, but nobody has mentioned this so maybe it is a non issue. I will probably try the combination bellows just because is better than changing to a bag for one lens.....
Thanks

Bob Salomon
7-Mar-2018, 16:15
Good Input and information, I do tend to use lenses in the 210-450 range as well and was a bit worried that there might be some bellows sag, but nobody has mentioned this so maybe it is a non issue. I will probably try the combination bellows just because is better than changing to a bag for one lens.....
Thanks
Linhof’s bag bellows is much bigger then the standards on a Kardan and are very slim, but they have a wire support in the middle of the bag. So, while it accommodates the widest possible lens, it stretches enough for a normal lenses for most applications.

Doremus Scudder
8-Mar-2018, 03:21
My Wista SW short bellows is half pleats, half bag and takes lenses up to 210mm. I absolutely love it! It allows movements with shorter lenses (90mm, 75mm) that standard bellows restrict and get crimped on. When I get around to getting replacement bellows for my cameras, it'll definitely be the universal type.

I don't know the bellows draw on the Ebony you have, but the idea behind universal bellows is to have only a short section in the front as a bag, while the rest is normal accordion pleated bellows. For cameras with long bellows draw, the accordion part is simply longer. Bellows sag shouldn't be a problem any more than with a standard bellows if the design is right.

Best,

Doremus

Conrad . Marvin
8-Mar-2018, 18:33
It sounds like the universal type bellows will work better than what I was using, so I will have the new bellows made and let you know how it works out.
Thanks for the info and advice.

JMO
9-Mar-2018, 13:26
I had Custom Bellows in the UK make me a bag bellows for my Technikarden 45S, and they did a good job mounting it onto the spare frames I sent them. I've since used this bellows a few times with wide angle lenses (75 or 90mm), but it would be easy enough to use it with my some of my other lenses up to 150mm or so.

Luis-F-S
9-Mar-2018, 14:43
Why don’t you ask Custom Bellows? It’s not their first rodeo and he can probably have a more intelligent conversation than we can.

Conrad . Marvin
10-Mar-2018, 10:00
Why don’t you ask Custom Bellows? It’s not their first rodeo and he can probably have a more intelligent conversation than we can.
I asked Keith at Custom Bellows if there would be any negative effects from the combination bellows. He replied that there might be some bellows sag. I therefore thought it prudent to ask the forum of photographers if anybody had experience so that I could make a more informed decision.
Thanks,
Conrad

Alex95
13-Mar-2018, 05:17
Works well with lenses 90mm to 360. Haven't tried anything shorter... Hope helped!

StuartR
23-Mar-2018, 02:33
Hi Conrad,
I know this is coming quite late, but I saw your post just now. I have an Ebony SV45Ti. Right before they closed down, I ordered the universal bellows. It does make it possible to use the 90mm lens without resorting to setting the camera up specifically for a wide angle configuration. I think the 75 too, but I cannot remember. I out on a trip photographing now, but I can check when I get back. Here's the thing though...my camera is unable to lock closed with the universal bellows. Also, the fit and finish was not really what I had expected from ebony....it was not terrible, but it shipped with glue marks and a small light leak in the corner. I paid 500 plus dollars for it from Ebony so I was rather pissed, but it took months to order and I live in Iceland, do I did not want to go through sending it back to the US, then to Japan, and then back to me again. I just fixed it with some sugru. I wonder if this was one of the reasons the founder was retiring...After all the time and money, it sits at home in a drawer and I use my original bellows. I think the original bellows is better for longer lenses (I use my 360/500 Nikon Tele more than the 90mm and 75mm), and for the work I do, closing the camera securely is usually more important than the extra ease in setting up super wide angles. If I mostly shot super wides, I would probably look at a bag bellows. I think it is a better solution.

Conrad . Marvin
11-Apr-2018, 18:10
Thanks for the advice. The new universal bellows from “custom Bellows” arrived today, they have the short bag section. After checking them out with short and long lenses, I wonder why I didn’t change the old ones sooner.:)

Conrad . Marvin
11-Apr-2018, 18:23
I just saw your post Stuart. The bellows from Custom Bellows does close and lock in the camera. Smells a bit like glue still, the 75 has more movement than I need, and it works with long lenses......But......they mounted the rear frame up side down. Since the rear frame is symmetrical I just turned the whole thing over so that the front frame was correct and it works fine.
The price. £125. Or in US Dollars after shipping (£18) about $203.

StuartR
17-Apr-2018, 15:09
Hi Conrad,
That's good to know. I double checked mine, and it still does not close. It also does not seem to offer any appreciable difference in movement compared to the stock bellows. On the plus side, it still works fine with the 500mm T Nikon and will focus as far as the rails move. Overall, however, I am quite disappointed. It is of course helpful to have a spare bellows in case anything ever goes wrong, but I bought it for additional utility, and the price was really high (I could have bought a good lens for the money), so I am rather disappointed. It is too late to return it, so I guess it will just live in the drawer...
Best,
Stuart