PDA

View Full Version : Ground Glass focusing screens including custom sizes from Young Camera Company

barryjyoung
3-Mar-2018, 17:16
Hello:

Young Camera Company now offers for sale common and custom size ground glass focusing screens. These screens are actually ground using loose grit and custom made glass grinding tools. These are not cut rate sand blasted or acid etched screens. They are ground. All other methods tested by Young Camera Company have resulted in glass screens that were not flat. Because of this we have refused to produce our ground glass in any other way than to laboriously grind it. This method quite simply makes the best screens.

No extra charge for custom screen sizes.
No shipping to pay, prices quoted are always FREE SHIPPING to domestic US addresses.
No delay, we ship within 2 business days
No tax, except for Washington state residents at 10.1%
Satisfaction guaranteed. If you are unhappy with your focusing screen for any reason return it within 14 days for a complete refund. If it arrives broken you will need to pursue an insurance claim
with USPS.
PayPal payments accepted.

4x5, $25 USD including shipping
5x7, $34 USD including shipping
8x10, $44 USD Including shipping
11x14, $64 USD including shipping

Square or clipped corners

Custom sizes near these sizes (smaller) no extra charge

Thank you

Barry Young
Young Camera Company
Tacoma WA, USA

Ricardo Maydana
3-Mar-2018, 17:20
Hola pueden agregar imágenes. Y hay tamaño para arca f línea 4x5

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

the smiling gecko
3-Mar-2018, 23:28
congratulations and best of luck with your products.

what is the price for an 11x14 ground glass focusing screen with grid lines?

thank you, kenneth
the photographer by the sea

breathe, relax, laugh and smile

barryjyoung
4-Mar-2018, 11:50

No habla Espanole amigo.

Can anyone translate Ricardo's message please?

Thank you

Barry Young

barryjyoung
4-Mar-2018, 11:56
Hi Kenneth:
11x14 with square corners is $70 USD including shipping to domestic US addresses. With clipped corners the price is $78 USD including shipping to domestic US addresses. I am sorry the we do not currently offer grids, but that is in the works.

Thank you for your question

Barry Young
Young Camera Company

Ricardo Maydana
4-Mar-2018, 12:08
Hi, if you can add images. and there is size for arca f line 4x5

Ron Stowell
4-Mar-2018, 12:17
Barry,
Do you have a web site?
At this time I do not have a need for ground glass, but will in the future.
Thanks
Ron

barryjyoung
5-Mar-2018, 16:30
Hi, if you can add images. and there is size for arca f line 4x5

I can provide 4x5 or any size close to it for $20 USD with square corners or $28 USD for clipped corners including shipping to domestic US addresses. Please measure carefully to see if a 4x5 inch screen before ordering. Please indicate what measurements inch or millimeters will fit your Arca F.

Thank you very much.

Barry Young
Young Camera Company

barryjyoung
5-Mar-2018, 16:32
Barry,
Do you have a web site?
At this time I do not have a need for ground glass, but will in the future.
Thanks
Ron

Hi Ron:

I am working on a website right now. I expect it to be ready in a week or two.

Thank you for your question.

Barry Young
Young Camera Company

Jac@stafford.net
5-Mar-2018, 16:52
As has been mentioned often here, a difficult quality of ground-glass is its granularity. Some of us find a GG such as Satin Snow, the most highly refined product, is nonetheless difficult to focus upon while more granular screens are more accurate for others. So, it is not all about metrics we can write about, but what we find useful.

So, try and buy... and look into aerial focusing which I prefer - a completely subjective thing.

Luis-F-S
5-Mar-2018, 19:38

Hola, can you add images, and is there a size for the 4x5 Arca f/line? Oops, already translated!:p

barryjyoung
6-Mar-2018, 18:28
Thank you Luis

Barry Young
Young Camera Company

Ozzz
15-Mar-2018, 21:48
Any chance you will ship outside of the States (to Hong Kong)? Also wonder how will you pack it to avoid breakage and the associated P&P rate. I'm looking for a 8x10 ground glass to replace the one that comes with the Intrepid camera - that one's simply too coarse to focus with.

Thanks.

barryjyoung
16-Mar-2018, 21:35
Any chance you will ship outside of the States (to Hong Kong)? Also wonder how will you pack it to avoid breakage and the associated P&P rate. I'm looking for a 8x10 ground glass to replace the one that comes with the Intrepid camera - that one's simply too coarse to focus with.

Thanks.

Yes, I would be happy to ship to Hong Kong. When I ship any screen, I wrap it in tissue paper, then in cardboard. With screens larger than 5x7, I then tape the cardboard sandwich to a sheet of cardboard which fits the inside of the box and fill both sides of the box with packing peanuts. I have never had a screen not make it all the way intact. Price including postage is $120.75 USD to Hong Kong. If you do decide to order please measure the rebate the screen fits into VERY carefully. I will make you a custom size screen that is .5mm under the size you measure so you are ensured of a proper fit. It is WAY too expensive to send it back if it does not fit. Even though you said it was for a Intrepid camera, all manufacturers have some variation.

Thank you for your question. If you decide to buy, please contact me with your email and I will send a private email with payment instructions.

Barry Young
Young Camera Company

Jim Fitzgerald
19-Mar-2018, 17:20
I purchased a ground glass for my 14x17 field camera from Barry. He even delivered it to me! We are both in Washington but it was a distance for him to travel. It fits perfect and is the best GG I've had. Now I need to take this beast back out now that I can see with a lens that only opens to F-11. Great quality and Barry is a great guy.

barryjyoung
20-Mar-2018, 20:11
As has been mentioned often here, a difficult quality of ground-glass is its granularity. Some of us find a GG such as Satin Snow, the most highly refined product, is nonetheless difficult to focus upon while more granular screens are more accurate for others. So, it is not all about metrics we can write about, but what we find useful.

So, try and buy... and look into aerial focusing which I prefer - a completely subjective thing.

And so, what do you suggest? I grind with three different grits to offer finer or coarser selection. I am interested in what you know.

Thanks for your message

Barry Young
Young Camera Company

barryjyoung
20-Mar-2018, 20:12
Thank you Jim

It was a pleasure to meet you and see some of your carbon prints in person. I also loved seeing the camera you built.

Thanks again

Barry Young
Young Camera Company

cowanw
21-Mar-2018, 06:32
And so, what do you suggest? I grind with three different grits to offer finer or coarser selection. I am interested in what you know.

Thanks for your message

Barry Young
Young Camera Company

When I ground a number of GG's for myself I learned the differences of a coarse and a fine grind as regards hotspot and luminance. I have often wondered if a good GG might have a coarse field generally for peripheral luminance and a central fine grind for finer image. Never tried it myself yet, though. Good luck with your product. I hope you do very well.

Ari
21-Mar-2018, 10:31
Hi Barry,
I would definitely try out your screens when I get a new 8x10.
When your website or contact information becomes available, please let us know.
Thank you and good luck!

barryjyoung
27-Mar-2018, 04:26
Wow! That is an interesting idea. I have found grinding with one grit difficult enough, and I think the transition between areas might look a bit odd, but I will try it to see what it looks like. This might just be a viable idea you have had. I believe it may be reproducible.

Thank you so much for your response.

Barry Young
Young Camera Company

When I ground a number of GG's for myself I learned the differences of a coarse and a fine grind as regards hotspot and luminance. I have often wondered if a good GG might have a coarse field generally for peripheral luminance and a central fine grind for finer image. Never tried it myself yet, though. Good luck with your product. I hope you do very well.

barryjyoung
27-Mar-2018, 04:26
Hi Ari:

Let me know and thanks for the well wishes

pepeguitarra
29-Mar-2018, 15:41
I think I recognize the photos of the hand holding the gg. I am in line to buy one of those on the bid site.

barryjyoung
30-Mar-2018, 07:51
I think I recognize the photos of the hand holding the gg. I am in line to buy one of those on the bid site.

Could be. That hand gets around.

Barry Young
Young Camera Company

MikeMGB
26-Apr-2018, 09:07
I just received a 5x7 ground glass I ordered from Barry a few days ago, it looks very good to me, happy customer.

barryjyoung
28-Apr-2018, 09:48
Thank you Mike:

So glad to hear you are happy with your screen.

It was a pleasure doing business with you.

Barry Young
Young Camera Company

I just received a 5x7 ground glass I ordered from Barry a few days ago, it looks very good to me, happy customer.

MikeMGB
28-Apr-2018, 20:13
Thank you Mike:

So glad to hear you are happy with your screen.

It was a pleasure doing business with you.

Barry Young
Young Camera Company

I used it on the camera for the first time today, the image was bright and focusing was easy, thank you for the fast service.

barryjyoung
29-Apr-2018, 12:42
It is my pleasure Mike.
Barry Young
Young Camera Company

I used it on the camera for the first time today, the image was bright and focusing was easy, thank you for the fast service.

Ashishwakhlu
15-Apr-2019, 23:12
Hi Barry,

how much is shipping to India please

thanks

Ashish

barryjyoung
11-May-2019, 20:22
Hello Ashish:

For what size focusing screen?

Thank you

Barry Young
Young Camera Company

Hi Barry,

how much is shipping to India please

thanks

Ashish

Dean Wilmot
28-Jul-2019, 14:23
Hi BARRY, I’m located in Australia and need to get two ground glass screens for my 6x24cm format panoramic camera. I’ve tried to find you on the net but nothing popped up. Can you advise the best way to make contact? Regards Dean Wilmot

barryjyoung
30-Jul-2019, 06:12
Hi BARRY, I’m located in Australia and need to get two ground glass screens for my 6x24cm format panoramic camera. I’ve tried to find you on the net but nothing popped up. Can you advise the best way to make contact? Regards Dean Wilmot

Hi Dean:

I hope we have you fixed up. Let me know if there is anything further I can do to help.

Barry Young
Young Camera Company
barryjyoung@yahoo.com

barryjyoung
25-Jun-2020, 06:45
I would like to announce our new website which is a work in progress.

youngcameracompany.com

Hope you visit.
Thank you.
Barry Young

Tin Can
25-Jun-2020, 10:56
Congratulations!

Very good pricing!

barryjyoung
26-Jun-2020, 06:21
Congratulations!

Very good pricing!

Thank you Mr. Can. I hope to do business with you in future.

Barry Young
Young Camera Company
youngcameracompany.com

MattToTheK
12-May-2021, 10:56
I'm glad I came across this thread, from another thread (a common occurance I suspect). I'm looking for a replacement for my speed graphic; I'll be in touch soon :)

barryjyoung
29-Dec-2021, 05:52
Hello everyone:

I moved my business to Missouri. As you can imagine, everything in the shop is in disorder. Young Camera Company is temporarily closed. I have 28 tone of things to put away. Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Barry Young
youngcameracompany.com

Xiggy
29-Dec-2021, 17:15
Put that stuff away quick. I need some good ground glass. It ain't gonna grind itself and neither am I!:)

DrGregC
26-May-2022, 19:10
What is the status of the Young Camera Company? I need a piece of ground glass for a Pony Premo #4 (late 1800's). I bought it on eBay and it arrived with broken glass. It measures 3 15/16" x 4 15/16". It is thin, measuring 1/16". There are no lines or markings on it. Square corners. Just a plain piece of ground glass. I hope someone can help. It is a gift for my photographer daughter. Thanks!

DrGregC
28-May-2022, 07:34
I think I found a source for ground glass on eBay, dba "human-soul". https://www.ebay.com/itm/144509681045?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

By any chance is this Barry Young, aka the Young Camera Company?

Thanks!

Tin Can
28-May-2022, 07:38
Not sure, however I have PM'd him recently and he is working now

on cameras

I think I found a source for ground glass on eBay, dba "human-soul". https://www.ebay.com/itm/144509681045?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

By any chance is this Barry Young, aka the Young Camera Company?

Thanks!

barryjyoung
28-Feb-2023, 08:21
What is the status of the Young Camera Company? I need a piece of ground glass for a Pony Premo #4 (late 1800's). I bought it on eBay and it arrived with broken glass. It measures 3 15/16" x 4 15/16". It is thin, measuring 1/16". There are no lines or markings on it. Square corners. Just a plain piece of ground glass. I hope someone can help. It is a gift for my photographer daughter. Thanks!

Hello everyone, sorry for my absence. I have been busy moving and building my machine shop, woodworking shop, photo lab, quilting room, pantry, and entire household and everything else to Missouri. Then I had major heart surgery. Go figure! I have decided to convert Young Camera Company to a hobby business. I can still do some jobs if the stuff you need is not available anywhere else on the planet. The groundglass requested in this message is a good example, it is available on ebay from ebay user reedkra for a fraction of what I would charge. I will be available for unique one of a kind custom machined items, but the price is going up. I will no longer be offering ground glass focusing screens because the price realized is very low compared to the time it takes. I have tried to interest three people I know in taking over the groundglass project but after looking at the investment in the glass cutting machine compared to the sales price after paying eBay and PayPal's exorbitant fees (They take over 40%), every one has declined. After the near miss with my heart, I have decided that the rest of my life will be dedicated mostly to family and having fun and especially to making fine photographs. Thank you to everyone here on LFF, I have met some fine people.

Barry Young
Young Camera Company

Sal Santamaura
28-Feb-2023, 11:29
...I will be available for unique one of a kind custom machined items, but the price is going up...

Sorry to hear about your health issues. Any update on this

https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?168140-What-equipment-is-hard-for-you-to-find&p=1661222#post1661222

?

Michael Graves
8-Mar-2023, 06:31
Welcome to Missouri, Barry. Come on down to my place and we'll go shooting. I know a few good places.

barryjyoung
6-Apr-2023, 09:58
I have retired and no longer provide custom ground glass.

Thank you everyone.

barryjyoung
6-Apr-2023, 10:15
Hi Michael:

Deal! Where is your place? I would love to go shooting either guns or photos.

Thank you

Barry Young
Patterson MO.
425-512-1714
barryjyoung@yahoo.com