PDA

View Full Version : The best 8x10 field camera?

Sid Morvan
16-Aug-2005, 13:07
First, thanks to all who responded to my first question about focal points. Your quick and concise answers have encouraged me to ask many more questions...
This is a subjective matter, I suppose: Who makes the best 8 X 10 field camera?

MIke Sherck
16-Aug-2005, 13:17
"Who makes the best 8 x 10 field camera?"

Such a beast does not exist, for exactly the same reason as there is no "best" car in the world: people have different needs and preferences. A more reasonable question might be, "Who makes the best 8 x 10 field camera for me?" but even that is difficult for me to answer. A camera with precise engineering and beautiful and plentiful movements might be just the thing I need in a studio -- and completely different than what I need to take on a five hour hike through sand dunes.

What you are going to get in this thread is a broad overview of the compromises other photographers have made, and how they feel about them. Good luck!

Steve Hamley
16-Aug-2005, 13:17
Sid,

You might as well ask who makes the best car.

What you think is the best is a tradeoff of price, weight, features, dealer support etc. that satisfies your intended use of the camera.

Steve

Eric Leppanen
16-Aug-2005, 13:43
Sid,

This is John Sparks' quick answer to your question: www.largeformatphotography.info/8x10.html (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/8x10.html). But he leaves out many familiar field camera brands (Ebony, Wehman, etc.).

You need to provide more info to narrow things down. What type of photography do you do (landscape, architecture, etc.) and how much in the way of movements will you want? What focal length lenses will you use? Will you hike with it or stay near the car? How much money are you willing to spend?

Amund BLix Aaeng
16-Aug-2005, 13:43
The best 8x10 fieldcamera for ME, is the Wehman http://www.wehmancamera.com/camera.html

It`s sturdy(I don`t baby my stuff), light and cheap(for a new 8x10 camera).
Has some handy features that suits me perfect.....

What we really need is new superlightweight filmholders.. or a 8x10 grafmatic! :)

tim atherton
16-Aug-2005, 13:57
Sid,

we need a bit more, such as:

what kind of work are you wanting to do with your field camera?

Realted to the above - are you in need of lots of fiddly movements to contort the camera every which way, or are a more basic set okay (which canmean cheaper or lighter - and sometimes both - depending on the camera)

are you going to be carrying it far or happy working out of a vehicle say

is form more important than function (i.e. do you like fondling shiny wood and brass cameras, or couldn't you give a damn as long as it's light, sturdy and compact or cheap)

are you only interested in new, or is older/used and out of production okay?

some of the above aren't always exclusive, but they can give responders an idea where to aim at....

John Kasaian
16-Aug-2005, 14:00
Best in what way? IMHO my 60+ year old Deardorff is the best compromise for wieght, bellows length, stability, intuitive controls, and price. That its a real piece of history, keeps growing in value and looks like a comfortable piece of furniture is an added bonus. Before the 'dorff (BD) I had a Burk and James and a Kodak Masterview---both certainly very capable cameras(more capable than I)---but the Deardorff suited me better and I have no desire to stray. YMMV of course! Since there really isn't too great a difference between field cameras anyway, perhaps a better question would be

"What field camera do you enjoy using?"

After all, if you really enjoy using the thing, you will and if you use it you're almost bound to get better at it and that( to my way of thinking) is what will be the "best" for you.

Cheers!

PS---Just for fun, next time you see someone out shooting with a Hasselblad, politley ask him/her at an inopportune time (like when taking a meter reading or focusing:

"Pardon me, is that a Deardorff???"

John_4185
16-Aug-2005, 18:37
JK said in part: "PS---Just for fun, next time you see someone out shooting with a Hasselblad, politley ask him/her at an inopportune time (like when taking a meter reading or focusing:

"Pardon me, is that a Deardorff???""

Why should anyone want say such a stupid thing to look like a fool?

Ross Hint
16-Aug-2005, 19:03
I visited and took shooting at Banff and Jasper National Parks in the past two weeks with my Sinar P 8x10. The result is very good.

Michael Kadillak
16-Aug-2005, 19:09
Best combination of field usability and operational ease in all conditions I feel is the Kodak Master 8x10. Magnesium body that is rigid and weather proof and very quick to set up and shoot with all of the ammenities well thought out from a photographers perspective. Unfortunately, they are becoming hard to come by these days.

Best light weight modern field camera is the wooden KB Canham 8x10 because it has unlimited flexibilities (7x17,4x10 and 8x20 backs) as well as other accessories and comes in a modern innovative design that uses bolts rather than wooden screws and is supported by exemplary customer service. A 9# field camera with great extension and rigidity that just performs as intended day in and day out.

Cheers!

Paddy Quinn
16-Aug-2005, 19:10
Why should anyone want say such a stupid thing to look like a fool?

Because they have a sense of humour?

(the hasselblad is, after all, a toy camera designed especially for rich dentists)

If you really need to ask, I'm assuming you don't get out much with your LF camera.

Paul Fitzgerald
16-Aug-2005, 19:17
Sid,

Which is best; blonde, brunett or redhead??? From a pinhole in a oatmeal box to a Sinar P and all point in between. Kodak 2D light, easy and cheap. Agfa/Ansco built like a tank. Deardorff classic. Whichever fits your style.

"Why should anyone want say such a stupid thing to look like a fool?"

Good fun, great excercise and turn about is fair play.

Smile.

John_4185
16-Aug-2005, 19:23
Paddy Quinn:
(the hasselblad is, after all, a toy camera designed especially for rich dentists)

If you really need to ask, I'm assuming you don't get out much with your LF camera.

It's time for a flame - yer a jerk, through and through. A lightweight. All talk. Get a life. You don't know me, or have a friggin clue as to what I do. Fukwit.

Gregory Owens
16-Aug-2005, 19:24
I agree with Dan, "One can never own too many Deardorff's." For whatever reason I ended up with three of them. And just like my children, I love them all:-) and somehow I have managed to stay married to boot!!! The Deardorff just suited me, I had owned or tried some other 8x10 cameras and through a friend a Deardorff came my way. There was just something about the 'dorff that was special.
Greg

Paddy Quinn
16-Aug-2005, 19:37
you seem to be getting your knickers in a bit of a twist there John? You do you take yourself seriously don't you

Paddy Quinn
16-Aug-2005, 19:46
You don't know me, or have a friggin clue as to
what I do.

I always assumed you were john stafford the car guy?

John_4185
16-Aug-2005, 20:47
This thread is turning into the unusual poseur brand-name dropping stuff that I just hate. The film doesn't care whether it's in a Deardorff, a 2D, Sinar, or a cereal box. I have this mental picture of some poseur wearing a shiny silver bowling jacket with big red embossed letter spelling DEARDORFF, accidently making a picture. If he's lucky.

What's with the 'car guy' thing? Tell me what I should know about that.

Paddy Quinn
16-Aug-2005, 21:20
I had always assumed you were the john jj staford from the VW board, Bradley GTII club board etc, my own being a Lotus Esprit S2 - but this is now way OT

John_4185
16-Aug-2005, 21:50
Yes, that's me. Thanks for not getting too PO'd by my earlier comment.

I rather hate to be identified as a car guy. I built a lot of things, including the cars elearning.winona.edu/jjs/b/ (http://elearning.winona.edu/jjs/b/), motorcycles elearning.winona.edu/jjs/butcher.jpg (http://elearning.winona.edu/jjs/butcher.jpg) cameras elearning.winona.edu/jjs/sw4x5/ (http://elearning.winona.edu/jjs/sw4x5/) (see, back on topic!), but I was a photographer first and always. Heck, I bicycle year-around in Minnesota and rarely drive although I have six cars.

Want a GTII-e? A Kelmark GT? Nice '58 custom VW Bug? Rolls? I can't work on 'em anymore. Too many injuries, and old age stuff.

OnTopic again... to the OP - if you can, find a LF club and see what they use and how they use what they like. Many have group outings (ech) but you can learn an awfull lot that way; LF folks are usually very helpfull. I'm not. They are. ;)

Caroline Matthews
16-Aug-2005, 22:43
I'd recommend the Wisner Expedition 8x10: compact, lighter weight, well made, beautiful, . . . only problem Wisner doesn't support his customers very well.

John Kasaian
16-Aug-2005, 22:57
Since it was my off the cuff stab at photo-humor that is responsible for this delightful voyage into the OT catagory I should explain that I was only trying to give some poor unfortunate rich dentist a taste of what its like when shooting a view camera. I could have easily suggested
"Pardon me, but is that an Anthony Scovill?" or "...an Ernemann?" but many might be unaware of those brands and the humor would be lost (well its already is lost, but it would be lost-er)

Actually these days you'd get better milage asking the Hassy wielding dentist

"Pardon me, is that a digital?"

When I'm asked if my 'dorff is a digital camera I reply that yes, in fact it is---I set the f/stop with my digits, pull the dark slide with my digits and press the cable release with my big digit;-)

Oh, and Dan Smith is right about all that Deardorff stuff.

Cheers!

John_4185
17-Aug-2005, 08:23
JK: Be careful not to harass your dentist while in the chair, lest he pull out his 8x10 Deardorff to do your intraoral photographs with a 6" diameter lens. Open widie! Dentists aren't to be messed with. I made a huge mistake once by making a low offer my dentist's sports car that was for sale. Funny how all of a sudden I needed a couple crowns. $$$$

John_4185
17-Aug-2005, 09:38
elearning.winona.edu/jjs/dearduffus.jpg (http://elearning.winona.edu/jjs/dearduffus.jpg)

John Kasaian
17-Aug-2005, 09:39
jj

Not to worry, my Dentist is also my Brother-in-law. BTW he just got a new digital camera;-)
FWIW I sold my Hassy 500M in order to buy the V8 'dorff. The Hassy was a fine camera but I've never regretted the change--but that should be a different thread, right?

Sid

I suggest getting either a Calumet Green Monster or an Ansco . Both are great values---maybe the best values for 8x10s right now. Shoot 'em and see what happens. OTOH, If you're a wealthy dentist I suggest going to a good camera show or a well stocked dealer and checking out the Canhams , Ebonys and Wehmans and the products of whoever else is making new 8x10s these days and try out whatever you think you'll like using. If its not love at first sight, give a 'dorff a try!

Ken Lee
17-Aug-2005, 10:44
I like my 8x10 ShenHao. It's quite rigid and posesses lots of movements and extension. I decided that it was wiser to spend the same money on a new camera made of Teak and Titanium, instead of an older used Dorff. If there had been a way to see and try the Dorff first, I might have chosen one instead - but I didn't trust eBay enough.

I'd rather have an Arca Swiss (I hate opening and closing field cameras), but decided to spend the money on other things.

Don Wallace
17-Aug-2005, 12:41
jj, it was a joke. If you didn't get it ok, but, wow, how rude can you get? Take the pickle out of your arse, apologize and move on.

jj_4045
17-Aug-2005, 19:46
Don said "jj, it was a joke. If you didn't get it ok, but, wow, how rude can you get? Take the pickle out of your arse, apologize and move on."

To what were you refering, most sensitive soul? What do you call rude? What brings angst from me to you? Type carefully, for I don't want you to bruise your fingers in response. If you prefer, you can have your Mum be an intermediary.

Ben Hopson
17-Aug-2005, 21:23
I am totally confused here. For years I have thoroughly believed that I was a humble woodworker/carpenter, not rich mind you, just earning a decent living. Now I find out that I have an alter persona sharing my skin who is a Rich Dentist! BUMMER!

When I'm not exposing film in my Ebony which is about 95% of the time, I do use a hassey 503cw though I don"t always remember doing so. There has even been roll film turn up that I am at a complete loss as to how it got exposed. Could it be, thats when the Rich Dentist Guy takes over? Where would the rich half keep his money? I spent half of last night going through every crack and crevice in my house looking for anything that might lead me to it and all I found was that I was exhausted when I had to go to work this morning. I own half don't I? Shoot, I don't want to start tearing up the floors, but I don't know what else to do.

After a moments thought, I have decided to wait a few days before resorting to drastic measures. Perhaps my rich alter is following this thread and will do the right thing and email me with the location and means of collecting my half.

I wonder if I ever get to fill any teeth and just don't recall? Hmmmm

Any way, whatever camera you decide on based on the features you find necessary and what you can afford, ENJOY! ENJOY! ENJOY!

domenico Foschi
17-Aug-2005, 23:13
JJ, you are amusing.

John D Gerndt
18-Aug-2005, 14:54
Sid, by way of practicle advice try the Ansco/Agfa. I bought one for $250 and do NOT regret that. If weighs in at about 13# which is not light but it is a full featured camera, you don't have to worry about beating up a $250 dollar camera AND I have discovered the extention (with a slight modification) can be use for the bed if you stay under 12 inches (at infinity) on you lens choice saving the wieght of about three film holders. Two camers in one!

Cheers,

Ansel Adams
18-Aug-2005, 18:47
"One can never own too many Deardorffs. "

Hey Smith, you are right on the money babe.

Warmest regards,

AA

Dion M
11-Apr-2008, 02:26
Hmm. Ok, I tried to read this forum and follow it, but unless I am mistaken, some heavy-handed god has deleted some of the posts, and now the conversation makes no sense in places. I see references to something earlier said by jj, but... where are the comments??? Maybe I'm mistaken, and I missed something.

I've seen this phenomenon before in forums, where the overbearing moderators feel they should sloppily delete posts just because somebody is expressing themselves honestly and often justifiably. Note to moderators: some anger is normal in humans, do you understand? So moderators, why not back off with the heavy-handed editing. We're all adults here, and adults often have heated discussions. We don't need Mother Goose to spoon-feed us.

Now all you Ned-Flanders-type moderators, please replace all the posts you have unnecessarily deleted, and undo the damage you have done, so we can carry on. There are times when posts need to be removed, but this is rare. More often the moderators are the ones who are exercising bad judgement.

cyrus
11-Apr-2008, 04:43
The best camera is the one you've got. Now go out and take pictures!

Robert Richardson
11-Apr-2008, 12:52
Sid,
I have owned a Wisner 8x10 T for the past 11 years, and it has served me well. There are many good cameras out there and you should really look at them all. However, the important thing is to purchase a camera you can affort and take pictures. As has been said many times, the camrea is just a box that holds film; the photographer makes the image. Just get a camera and start making images.
Bob Richardson

Sheldon N
11-Apr-2008, 13:13
Maybe someone should point out that this 3 year old thread was revived by a somewhat confused and angry rant by Dion M.

I'm pretty sure that Sid has already made his camera choice by now.

:)

Alan Davenport
11-Apr-2008, 17:16
One could probably make a convincing argument that Rolls Royce makes the best cars, since they are virtually handmade throughout.

Since the majority of 8x10 cameras are also completely handmade, I guess that means they are all equally "best."

John Kasaian
11-Apr-2008, 18:06
Saying "equally best" would be an oxymoron, meaning there is no "best" only mediocrity. OTOH, one camera may very well be be "better" over another when considering a particular function, feature or aesthetic value, but an overall "best" is elusive (I was going to add "at best")

Deardorffs, for example, are far and away the best chick magnets! ;)

Dion M
11-Apr-2008, 20:09
Sheldon N, I'm sure a lot of people would agree with me. You have no grounds to bash my comments, because they are true, and not angry and confused in any sense. So give me a break. There *is* often too much heavy-handed moderation in a lot of forums.

Inactive threads are there for information for people who are trying to learn something about the topic. It's irrelevant whether they are active or not; they are still useful for information, especially if pieces of the conversation aren't missing.

I read this thread to try to learn something about choosing an 8x10 camera. Thanks to anyone who made helpful comments, regardless if they are 3 years old. Not much has changed in view cameras in the past 3 years.

Dion M
11-Apr-2008, 20:15
I'm considering buying a Deardorff. Typically, I've seen used ones go for $1000 to $1500 if they are in ok to good condition. I'd like a field camera, and I'm wondering what else compares favourably to a Deardorff for a similar price.

Yeah, it's a bonus that the Deardorffs are some nice eye-candy too!

Sheldon N
11-Apr-2008, 20:28
Sheldon N, I'm sure a lot of people would agree with me. You have no grounds to bash my comments, because they are true, and not angry and confused in any sense. So give me a break. There *is* often too much heavy-handed moderation in a lot of forums.

Inactive threads are there for information for people who are trying to learn something about the topic. It's irrelevant whether they are active or not; they are still useful for information, especially if pieces of the conversation aren't missing.

I read this thread to try to learn something about choosing an 8x10 camera. Thanks to anyone who made helpful comments, regardless if they are 3 years old. Not much has changed in view cameras in the past 3 years.

Dion.... I have read the thread. I see no signs of ANY moderation at all, no deleted posts, no intervention by the moderators, and none of the participants are moderators. Usually when a moderator deletes a post, it says "Post deleted by moderator". Perhaps you can re-read the thread to see where you think someone got censored.

- Hence, I used the term "confused".

Also, it seems a little unusual for your very first post here in the forum to be a rant against the heavy handed (where??) moderation of the forum.

- Hence, I used the term "angry".

Not to speak ill of you or to say that you aren't welcome here. It just seemed like an odd way to introduce yourself.... sort of getting off on the wrong foot.

Anyhow, please stay and enjoy the forum. I'm sure you'll find lots of helpful folks and lots of useful information in the archives, with very little moderator intervention at all.

Welcome aboard!

Juergen Sattler
11-Apr-2008, 21:00
Inetresting way to introduce oneself to a new forum - yes, I mean you, Dion M. You know nothing about this forum, you know nothing about the moderators of this forum, you don't know anything about the folks posting to this forum. But you have the nerve to bash in here and accuse people of heavy handed censorship.

You probably should look for another forum - this is obviously not for you. Why not try pnet - they are much friendlier over there and there are probably other posters you might more easily identify with.

Make sure you close the door behind you - and don't bother coming back here. Have a nice day!

EuGene Smith
11-Apr-2008, 21:19
Gosh folks, I loved reading this thread . . .I learned some stuff about various LF cameras, I was entertained, and then Dan Smith (a long lost cousin??) showed me that I am a double fool ----> I live in Arkansas AND my Hasselblad is a Kiev!!!

I must also admit to other character defects: At 17 I turned down Dad's 1956 Ford Custom convertable in favor of a BMW Isetta, my Deardorf stand-in is a B&J, if the Kiev is temporarily unuseable my fallback is a Rapid Omega, and I just swapped for Jim Galli's folding Pocket Brownie (that requires type 116 film!).

And you guys are bashing each other?!?

Nick_3536
11-Apr-2008, 21:44
Maybe someone should point out that this 3 year old thread was revived by a somewhat confused and angry rant by Dion M.

I'm pretty sure that Sid has already made his camera choice by now.

Zombie threads following ones about vampires :D

Dion M
11-Apr-2008, 22:26
Yes, Sheldon N, I agree, I did start off on the wrong foot, and for that I apologize. However, I did read the entire post a few times before I wrote my initial comment. There seemed to be at least one reference made to comments that appear to have been removed. (I've encountered this sort of editing before, not necessarily in this forum, so if I am wrong then I'm pleased to hear it.)

Anyway, I didn't bash this whole forum, or anything close to it.

Juergen, I didn't do or say anything nearly as harsh as your post implies. Did you read this entire thread? Lots of bantering and even arguing, no big deal! People are people, and sometimes written words are not as harsh as imagined. I found the entire thread quite amusing to read. And my comments were not any harsher than some that preceded it. I haven't posted before, true. But I have read these forums a *lot*, so don't make the assumption that I don't know anything about this forum, etc., please.

EuGene, I like your comments, and I agree! I quite enjoyed this thread.

audioexcels
11-Apr-2008, 22:53
What we really need is new superlightweight filmholders.. or a 8x10 grafmatic! :)

Exactly...this is 8X10's biggest flaw IMHO. How 7X11 holders from the past can be LIGHTER than 8X10 holders from similar vintage is beyond me. I think someone weighed in a 7X11 holder at like 15-16oz, where a vintage 8X10 is more about 16-18oz. Still, the ones from Lotus are right at 1lb, AWB's are 1lb, Chamonix's are 18oz. But a typical holder is something like 20-22oz...Would be nice to see more in the 14-16oz range without sacrificing quality.

audioexcels
11-Apr-2008, 23:02
If I didn't want 8X10 and larger using the Arca conversion method, I would go for and in no particular order:

1) Chamonix
2) Ritter
3) Canham light-weight version, though I don't think it is as light as the Ritter or Chamonix and both Chamonix and Ritter can customize the camera for future conversions.

4) Wehman is tough to beat for bang-buck, especially prices I've seen them used for, though I am not sure on the weight side (similar to Canham if recollection is ok).
5) Shen is another tough to beat bang-buck cam, though a bit more weighty.

If weight is no issue, I'd consider the Deardorff due to the value it holds in time, though if you get a used Canham/Wehman/or a new Shen, you won't lose much of anything in the long run unless something digital surpasses and the LF market is totally demolished-then the Deardorff will hold its own as a "classic" over these others.

Chamonix or Ritter would not sustain value over these others IMHO, but if I was buying one, I certainly wouldn't see it go anywhere especially given the options for conversion kits.

There is no best, just some very very competent ones out there.

And yes, the Arca, without conversion and just the plain ole' Arca like Ling picked up is not very heavy and is simply gorgeous.

Dion M
12-Apr-2008, 12:53
Thanks for all the advice, audioexcels. I've owned a 4x5 Shen-Hao for a couple of years, and I have a couple of lenses that (if I recall) will cover 8x10.

When I bought the Shen-Hao that I have, I was lucky to have the opportunity to examine two of them before I bought one. One of them had a default alignment that was way out. When the standards were zeroed into all the detents, the front and rear standard was out out parallel by probably 2 or 3 degrees. The one I bought is very good though, and when I zero everything and focus a lens to infinity, it's sharp across the whole frame. I wonder if that was only a rare bad example, or if they're quality control is uneven.

I like using the Shen-Hao, but it has a few odd things about it. As I lock the focus knob, the lock knob causes the focus to change. They may have fixed this on more recent models.

The one thing that concerns me is that film is disappearing and the choices are becoming fewer. I like to shoot colour transparencies as well as B&W, though I haven't shot B&W in a long time since I don't have access to a darkroom anymore. There's only one place in town now that develops up to 8x10, quite a good place with a dip and dunk processor, but they're merging with another place and I don't know what their plan is. The times they are a-changing...

ZoeWiseman
12-Apr-2008, 14:29
I really want to shoot 8x10 but I go out to seriously "out there" locations and well... I'm a girl. :) What is the lightest equipment one could buy to carry about without dying of exhaustion before getting to a location? I'm currently using a Speed Graphic 4x5 and that's heavy enough... but I really drool over 8x10.

Any suggestions?

John Schneider
12-Apr-2008, 14:49
A Gowland 8x10 Pocket View, if you can deal with the less-than-rock-like stability (see Peter Gowland's website), or a Toho via Badger Graphics.

Dion M
12-Apr-2008, 15:12
Zoe, you probably know this already... but you can also cut a great deal of weight from your large format bag by snooping around and finding the lightest lenses, and quite often they are the older ones that sell for reasonable prices.

For my 4x5 kit, I first bought a very wide angle lens, the Schneider Super Angulon 72XL, with a center filter. I go out hiking and exploring a lot, and I like wide angle landscapes. Great lens, but it almost needs it's own bag! I recently bought a 3 inch Goerz Rectagon, and also a 3 1/2 inch Wollensak IIIA extra wide angle. Haven't tried the Wolly yet, but the Rectagon performs just great, and it's design reduces light fall-off, so that even without a center filter it's quite good. One of these days I'm going to do a comparison of all these lenses, and post them in this forum.

The Goerz Rectagon weighs probably a quarter of what the 72XL weighs. The 3 1/2" Wollensak weighs about half of what the Rectagon does!

I have a Nikkor W 150mm, performs absolutely great wide open and stopped down. But I got a good deal on a 150mm G-Claron, and that ends up in my bag when I'm hiking because it's great stopped down, and that's all I usually need. I bought a little 203mm f7.7 Kodak Ektar, and I'm selling my 210mm Schneider Symmar. I have a little 105mm Tominon that's pretty good for closeups. So I found four decent lenses that take up as much weight and space as the 72XL did.

I don't know what the lightest 8x10 lenses are, but I know there's a few of them out there.

Wish I could help with the 8x10 camera choice, but I'm just trying to figure that out. I'm considering building a simple one that would work mainly for landscapes.

David Karp
12-Apr-2008, 15:25
Zoe,

Also consider a Richard Ritter 8x10.

http://www.lg4mat.net/LFcamera.html

steve simmons
12-Apr-2008, 15:40
wait a few weeks. There might be something new coming that is very light.

steve simmons

Armin Seeholzer
12-Apr-2008, 16:23
If you need just a workhorse which is also cheap to get, then take a Burke & James and you have one really good working cam.
Not a hereo like a Deardorff but a good working camera!
They are almost to cheap on fleebay!

Armin

John Bowen
12-Apr-2008, 17:44
Zoe,

Also consider a Richard Ritter 8x10.

http://www.lg4mat.net/LFcamera.html

I hear from "sources" that Richard has these puppies down to approx 6 lbs WOW!! 6 lbs, and about a meter of bellows...Sweet.

Nick_3536
13-Apr-2008, 02:44
I really want to shoot 8x10 but I go out to seriously "out there" locations and well... I'm a girl. :) What is the lightest equipment one could buy to carry about without dying of exhaustion before getting to a location? I'm currently using a Speed Graphic 4x5 and that's heavy enough... but I really drool over 8x10.

Any suggestions?

I think a few girls could backpack us guys. Don't sell yourself short :D

My Shen FCL is about 4kg so less then 9lbs. Combined with light weight lens choices [Fuji 210W and Fuji 450C] it's relatively "light"

But when you say the Speed is heavy how are you carrying it? A good backpack will make any load easier. Not to mention your body will get used to it if you do it enough.

Joseph O'Neil
13-Apr-2008, 10:56
One can never own too many Deardorffs.

You wouldn't want to explain that fact of life to my wife, would you? For some odd reason, I cannot seem to make her understand.

:D

Ralph Barker
15-Apr-2008, 07:56
Dion - you'd be well served to read the FAQ/Guidelines (link in the blue navigation bar). Most forums have "rules" in order to maintain some sort of decorum. Forums that don't usually end up becoming cess pits of flame wars and bad language. Here, posts that don't conform to the guidelines get deleted, and if a user refuses to play by the rules, they get banned. While some might call that heavy-handed moderation, we think of it as maintaining a cordial, respectful environment.

Ron Marshall
15-Apr-2008, 08:35

Any suggestions?

The Phillips 8x10 is 5.9 lb. Three lightweight lenses would add a couple of pounds to that. A few filmholders, and a changing tent, to avoid having to carry so many filmholders.

Sal Santamaura
15-Apr-2008, 13:01
The Phillips 8x10 is 5.9 lb...That would be the horizontal-only Phillips 8x10 Explorer. A Phillips Compact II with reversible back was 7.8 lb. in early production and a bit more than 8 lb. later in the runs. I own a 7.8 lb. Compact II and almost ordered an Explorer last year but decided that, in the overall scheme of things, saving a mere 1.9 lb. wasn't worth the loss of capability. I still feel that way, even if the outfit is going to be carried by a girl. :)

SAShruby
15-Apr-2008, 13:06
I have a Deardorff 8x10, 8x20, great cameras, but my friend has an Arca Swiss, and honestly, I'm thinking to convert into Arca System. Even it's a monorail, it is light, precise and easy to work with. That means my Deardorff is going Bye-Bye...to Ebay!!!!

Not 8x20!!!:p

Jorge Gasteazoro
15-Apr-2008, 13:32
I have a Deardorff 8x10, 8x20, great cameras, but my friend has an Arca Swiss, and honestly, I'm thinking to convert into Arca System. Even it's a monorail, it is light, precise and easy to work with. That means my Deardorff is going Bye-Bye...to Ebay!!!!

Not 8x20!!!:p

You won't regret it, I would not go back to a flat bed camera if you paid me. If you saw my post on the photobackpacker you can see how neatly it can be packaged for use in the field.

evan clarke
15-Apr-2008, 14:29
My Arca is great..you can't go wrong. I don't have to unfold it and fold it back up and it has all the movements you could ask for. My 8x10 kit weighs less than my 4x5 kit...EC

David A. Goldfarb
15-Apr-2008, 16:18
A Gowland 8x10 Pocket View, if you can deal with the less-than-rock-like stability (see Peter Gowland's website), or a Toho via Badger Graphics.

That's the one I have, and it is super light. I've added a few washers and improved the stability considerably. I can get my 8x10" landscape/architecture kit down to around 20 lbs or slightly less including tripod.

Ultralight, though, isn't an advantage in windy conditions. It's also a camera that makes compromises in convenience for light weight, but once you get the hang of it, it's not hard to use.

Dion M
15-Apr-2008, 16:48
Ralph Barker-- thanks, I will do that. I only made a comment on principle though, and I didn't name anyone or flame any particular person. I obviously won't be doing that again. Some of the posts existing in this thread are far more personal than what I wrote. I won't be offended if you delete my post, though I think parts of this thread will no longer make sense to future readers if it is deleted.

Regardless of the argumentative nature of some of the posts in this thread before I even made my first post, I still agree with some of the other posters that it has some entertainment value to read it later.

Bruce Barlow
16-Apr-2008, 06:55
I am in posession of the only Ritter 8x10 on the planet. 6 pounds 4 ounces, 32" of bellows, fits Sinar boards. Folds to 13.5 x 13.5 x 5. Interchangeable to 5x7 and 4x5.

Nice. More to follow, I'll post a thread when I've skinnined down the pictures - I'm not on my own computer and this one has no Photoshop.

keeds
16-Apr-2008, 07:53
Bruce, you little tease ;-)

Mike Castles
16-Apr-2008, 09:39
I am in posession of the only Ritter 8x10 on the planet. 6 pounds 4 ounces, 32" of bellows, fits Sinar boards. Folds to 13.5 x 13.5 x 5. Interchangeable to 5x7 and 4x5.

Nice. More to follow, I'll post a thread when I've skinnined down the pictures - I'm not on my own computer and this one has no Photoshop.

Very Cool!! Can't wait to here the details....and this would mean in the not so distant future that an invoice will arrive for a certain 8x10/7x11 at casa Castles.

David A. Goldfarb
16-Apr-2008, 09:48

That's a few ounces less than my Gowland PocketView and probably more stable and easier to use. Not bad, Mr. Ritter!

Today for the first time I tried making photographs out with the Gowland with our 16-month-old strapped to my chest. He was kind of amused by the darkcloth (thankfully--you never know what he's going to be terrified by), and it was a little awkward bending over to get things from my knapsack, but I did manage to make three 8x10" Polaroids this way. Two had a little light leakage, I think from the holder becoming unseated while I pulled the darkslide, which is stiffer on a Polaroid holder than on a normal holder, but other than that, I managed.

steve simmons
16-Apr-2008, 09:57
Bruce's review will be in the May issue of View Camera.

steve simmons

Bruce Barlow
16-Apr-2008, 10:59
Well, call it a "First Look" rather than a "review." I haven't had it long enough, nor photographed with it enough, to give it a review. And I'm too close to Richard as a friend and business partner to have any credibility as an objective "reviewer." So a first look will have feeds and speeds (OK, specifications), some description, and a solid bit of enthusiasm.

Bruce Barlow
16-Apr-2008, 11:01
Oh, yeah, and those coming to Ted Harris's get-together this Saturday will see it, and if, Jorge, I'm not grumpy, I'll let people touch it!

All teasing of Jorge aside, of course folks will touch it, play with it, and just maybe fall in love with it!

Jorge Gasteazoro
16-Apr-2008, 11:24
Oh, yeah, and those coming to Ted Harris's get-together this Saturday will see it, and if, Jorge, I'm not grumpy, I'll let people touch it!

I certainly hope you are talking about the camera!.... :eek: :D

JUst to be safe I am PM Ted and making sure he has something to spike the coffee... :)

SAShruby
16-Apr-2008, 12:36
JUst to be safe I am PM Ted and making sure he has something to spike the coffee... :)

Jorge, I think you're a great spike for coffee already. :D Pitty, I cannot get there, but if you by any accident end up in Vancouver, let me know, I put Slivovica [52%] on the table to spike = nail us down ;)

John Bowen
16-Apr-2008, 12:48

Damn!!! I guess this means I won't be receiving Serial #1 of Richard's new camera ;)

Jorge Gasteazoro
16-Apr-2008, 12:53
Jorge, I think you're a great spike for coffee already. :D Pitty, I cannot get there, but if you by any accident end up in Vancouver, let me know, I put Slivovica [52%] on the table to spike = nail us down ;)

I have always wanted to visit Vancouver, I have only been to Montreal and that was for work. Don't be surprised if you hear from me, as to the spike, if I can breathe fire with it, it is good enough for me.. :)

RichardRitter
16-Apr-2008, 13:13
What Bruce didn't tell you is that I have a second set of unfinished parts here that I need to build the final assembly jigs. If they are made in a timely matter the camera he has
will be stress tested this weekend.

John you can have that camera when I am done testing it.

SAShruby
16-Apr-2008, 13:26
I have always wanted to visit Vancouver, I have only been to Montreal and that was for work. Don't be surprised if you hear from me, as to the spike, if I can breathe fire with it, it is good enough for me.. :)

You're on, buddy :)