PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good buy?

Justin Roxbrough
21-Feb-2018, 10:15
Hi everyone,

I’m looking to switch from MF to LF, and thus have been searching for a first camera. Would this be a good buy:

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/pho/6489928209.html

What do you think of the body and these lenses? I read that these two lenses might not have enough coverage to do much of the movements? Thanks for any input!

Best,
Justin

Luis-F-S
21-Feb-2018, 10:26
Probably not. That is a very old camera. What are you trying to get and what do you want to spend. There are a lot of resources on the FAQ section of this forum. I'd look for something more recent. L

jnantz
21-Feb-2018, 10:39
the lenses alone might be worth 250$ .. the film holders are about 5-15$ each
dark cloth depends what kind, some are pricy .. camera ... probably in good condition
would cost about 150-200 and the case except for the foam deteriorating is useful .. foam is cheap

Dan Fromm
21-Feb-2018, 10:44
For many of us the first LF camera was the wrong LF camera.

Calumet CC40x cameras -- the one on offer is a -400 or -401, the only difference is that the -401 has a longer rail -- are good basic monorail cameras with full movements. They've served many photographers very well. There are lighter and more compact monorail cameras. There are more modern monorail cameras that are modular, accept bag bellows so can be used with shorter lenses than a Calumet and have Graflok backs so accept a wider range of roll holders.

The lenses offered with it aren't the lastest more better, don't have as much coverage so won't allow as much movements.

You could make a worse mistake, especially if you can haggle the price down a bit

Pere Casals
21-Feb-2018, 11:52
IMHO it can be good for experimenting, I think that a monorail is a good choice to learn movements, more than a field camera.

In LA I'd prefer this by a large margin: https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/pho/d/cambo-scx-4x5-monorail-large/6488551491.html

The SCX is a pleasure to start with it.

For the glass I would start with a Symmar 150mm convertible to 265, it can be found cheap: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=sinar+norma+4x5&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC0.A0.H0.Xsymmar+150+.TRS0&_nkw=symmar+150+&_sacat=0

...and it's a very capable lens http://www.kenrockwell.com/schneider/150.htm

EdSawyer
21-Feb-2018, 12:06
it's only an ok deal. You can find as good or better deals on ebay, for that price, a more modern cambo monorail and more modern lens. IMHO, keep looking.

Peter Collins
21-Feb-2018, 12:39
I like the camera Pere found. And it won’t be your last!

Tin Can
21-Feb-2018, 13:51
2 things. Buy perfect bellows, meaning light tight, go in a closet with a small LED flashlight and check for pinholes, do this with the seller. Shine the light inside the bellows, look for leaks outside. Take your time.

Then check the shutter, try it on 1/50th a few times, then at 1 second. I second should be obvious. Again, do this with the seller.

Almost no LF beginner wants to replace bellows or fix a shutter. I didn't and still don't. Even if the glass is horrible, you have a good shutter and glass can work with many defects.

As others have said, you will buy a second and third camera/lens if you like the sport.

Alan Gales
21-Feb-2018, 14:58
For inexpensive monorails look at later Cambo or Calumet models like the Cambo that Pere showed you or look at Toyo. Any of the three would be fine. With the later models Cambo and Calumet were made by the same company so lens boards and bellows will interchange. Toyo is a separate company but their monorails were just as good.

I'd look for lenses in modern Copal shutters for your first lenses. Many monorails come with a 210mm lens which is slightly longer than a normal focal length. Either a 210mm or normal 150mm or 180mm focal lengths will be great to start with.

To add to Randy's great advice, stretch the bellows all the way to the end of the rail. Pinholes usually develop in the corners of the pleats and show up real well with the flashlight method.

Justin Roxbrough
21-Feb-2018, 15:48
IMHO it can be good for experimenting, I think that a monorail is a good choice to learn movements, more than a field camera.

In LA I'd prefer this by a large margin: https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/pho/d/cambo-scx-4x5-monorail-large/6488551491.html

The SCX is a pleasure to start with it.

For the glass I would start with a Symmar 150mm convertible to 265, it can be found cheap: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=sinar+norma+4x5&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC0.A0.H0.Xsymmar+150+.TRS0&_nkw=symmar+150+&_sacat=0

...and it's a very capable lens http://www.kenrockwell.com/schneider/150.htm

Okay nice, I saw that one as well, might be a good option. Thanks for the advice on the lens, that's really helpful.

Justin Roxbrough
21-Feb-2018, 15:49
Thank you everyone, I appreciate all the responses. I’m going to give this one a pass and keep looking with some new criteria in mind.

John Kasaian
21-Feb-2018, 16:08
I'd say it depends on what the seller is willing to accept. If the bellows are light tight I'd think around $250 would be a very good deal, just because you'll have everything you need except film and a tripod and an old Tiltall should carry it just fine. Carol at Flutot's in Whittier can do a cla if the shutter needs it.
This is a classic monorail with metal parts. More modern monorails use a lot more plastic and broken knobs can be an issue with a heavily used camera.
I have a Graphic View II which is very similar, being old school and metal.

Jac@stafford.net
21-Feb-2018, 16:39
Thank you everyone, I appreciate all the responses. I’m going to give this one a pass and keep looking with some new criteria in mind.

I'm glad you passed on it. I did not want to lead with negativity but in my experience the camera is largely suited to studio work, out of the elements, especially a breeze. The lenses are no prize, either.

Stay in touch with us. Good luck in your pursuit.

BradS
21-Feb-2018, 17:20
There’s a nice Wisner 4x5 technical field offered for sale in the classifieds here.... :)

Daniel Casper Lohenstein
24-Feb-2018, 03:53
Don't do it.

The character of this offer screams to me that there is someone wanting to do a lot of money. He wants 250 US$. That's a hell of money. You can get an Intrepid 4x5 - NEW!

He writes "Price negotiable." Do you really want to negotiate? If he sells it for 50 US$, you can take it, but what do you want to achieve with these lenses on this camera?

The Angulon is rather old, pre-war, you can't shift or tilt it, image circle is too small. The lenses aren't coated. You will have less contrast.
The shutter seems to be old, you will not find light meters any more that show you a 1/50th second. You can't attach modern flashes, you will have to fiddle to control aperture (small indications without stops).
The price is too high; you can get an impeccable Cambo SC-2 by spending 100 US$. Or a Horseman L, a Linhof Kardan ...
There are lighter cameras and there are cameras with a shorter rail, too, to store the thing in a smaller box or in your backpack.
The bellows needs to have a rebuilt, as the vendor is writing ("may need some maintenance") - newer cameras often don't need this maintenence.
Do you really want to slip under this 60 years old dark cloth, stored in a box whose foam is deteriorating?

Save your money and buy yourself an actual camera in a few months.

If it's urgent, get a Horseman/Cambo/Sinar/Linhof (100 US$), a Fujinon W 5.6/135 (120 US$), six Riteway/Fidelity holders (50 US$) and some filters (yellow, orange, red and green) and that's it. Use your vest as a dark cloth.

Regards

Tin Can
24-Feb-2018, 07:20
"...you can get an impeccable Cambo SC-2 by spending 100 US$. Or a Horseman L, a Linhof Kardan ..."

Really? I sincerely doubt your price and condition optimism.

Giving a newbie impossible goals can scare them away.

I also see you don't own anything you recommend...yapn

jnantz
24-Feb-2018, 07:58
"...you can get an impeccable Cambo SC-2 by spending 100 US$. Or a Horseman L, a Linhof Kardan ..."

Really? I sincerely doubt your price and condition optimism.

Giving a newbie impossible goals can scare them away.

I also see you don't own anything you recommend...yapn

wizard of oz ?

Justin Roxbrough
26-Feb-2018, 11:33
Hi everyone, just as an update, I ended up buying a camera today. I picked up a Cambo SC. It came with an Ilex Acuton 150mm fitted to a copal #1, 6 sheet film cartridges, a case, dark cloth, and change bag for $250.

175307 175308

BrianShaw
26-Feb-2018, 11:42
That's a rather versatile camera. A bit heavy for field work but that has never stopped me from using one in the field. Do you have a stout tripod?

Tin Can
26-Feb-2018, 12:05
Cool and weight is very good for stability in wind.

Justin Roxbrough
26-Feb-2018, 12:24
That's a rather versatile camera. A bit heavy for field work but that has never stopped me from using one in the field. Do you have a stout tripod?

I have a Slik Pro 700 BH with Ball Head 800 that I use with my RB67. I suppose I might be pushing it with the weight of the this though. The 800 head says it's max load is 11lbs.

Vaughn
26-Feb-2018, 12:44
Hi everyone, just as an update, I ended up buying a camera today...

Excellent...a great start. Have fun!

BrianShaw
26-Feb-2018, 13:10
I have a Slik Pro 700 BH with Ball Head 800 that I use with my RB67. I suppose I might be pushing it with the weight of the this though. The 800 head says it's max load is 11lbs.

My crystal ball sees a new tripod in your future. My magic-8 ball (and Meghan Trainor) says "All about that bass". :)

Daniel Casper Lohenstein
27-Feb-2018, 10:33
Hi everyone, just as an update, I ended up buying a camera today. I picked up a Cambo SC. It came with an Ilex Acuton 150mm fitted to a copal #1, 6 sheet film cartridges, a case, dark cloth, and change bag for $250.

175307 175308

q.e.d., and: well done!

So you paid 100 $ for the Acugon, 50 $ for the accessories, another 100 $ for the camera.

In my previous post I linked some offers at eBay, I didn't knew you frown upon this - you're right, I shouldn't do this, excuse me please.

I wanted to show that there are a lot of cameras around that do not cost much money. Perhaps one has to repair a little bit, but this is neither wizardry nor witchcaft.

Regards, Daniel

Alan Gales
27-Feb-2018, 10:59

175307 175308

I used to sell those cameras on Ebay for $150 to $200 depending upon age and condition. I'd include a lens board but no lens or extras. You did fine. Enjoy!

Jimi
27-Feb-2018, 15:29
The Slik 700 Pro legs support my Sinar Norma 13x18 fine, but maybe you need to change out the ball head, then? For a start, you could attach the camera to the legs directly.