PDA

View Full Version : Technika Schneider Symmar 180/310 convertible lens

pchaplo
18-Feb-2018, 21:31
Is there a more recent model 180mm lens that has the exact film to flange distance as this Symmar180/315 convertible lens when it is in 180mm mode?

Also, this lens is older larger shutter. It appears that all the more recent 180mm lenses that I can find are in Copal 1. Is there any 180mm lens available in Copal 0?

David Karp
18-Feb-2018, 22:17
A 180mm f/9.0 Fujinon A comes in a No. Copal 0 shutter. It is a very nice lens. Great for hiking. It came in an earlier single coated version. The later version has Fuji's EBC multicoating. More information here: http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/byseries.htm.

Mark Sampson
19-Feb-2018, 10:40
If you look around you can find the data for the flange focal distances. Schneider used to publish data for their older lenses, but they seem to have changed their website since I last visited. Perhaps looking through the lens articles on the front page of this site would help.

Dan Fromm
19-Feb-2018, 11:08
OP, what are you trying to accomplish?

I ask because published flange-focal distances are nominal. Lenses as made rarely match them exactly. You can't avoid measuring if you're making a fixed-focus camera. If you're replacing a fixed-focus camera's lens you can't avoid measuring and shimming as needed.

AA+
19-Feb-2018, 14:32
I purchased my 180mm Symmar Convertible in 1972 new. Same Copal #1 but with linear scales compared with your lens. I am unaware of Copal #0 for this, but I also am not knowledgeable.

I read a long time ago that this lens was not supposed to shift focus when stopping down while converted.

Best wishes --- Allen Anway

pchaplo
19-Feb-2018, 15:18
Dan,

Replace the lens in an Aero Technika that has fixed infinity focus for this lens at 180mm. There is no focus adjustment that I know of other than possible shims.

Paul

OP, what are you trying to accomplish?

I ask because published flange-focal distances are nominal. Lenses as made rarely match them exactly. You can't avoid measuring if you're making a fixed-focus camera. If you're replacing a fixed-focus camera's lens you can't avoid measuring and shimming as needed.

Dan Fromm
19-Feb-2018, 16:58
Paul, thanks for the reply. There are large tables of lens data with flange-focal distances all over the internet. Not as many as cat videos, but still ...

The list points at the one on graflex.org. Go look for a newer lens whose FFD is close to the 180 Symmar's. There's no avoiding measuring and adjusting.

I'm surprised that the Aero Technika has no way to collimate lenses to the body. If you have a user's manual, check to see what it says. If not, examine the lens cone closely.

But why do you want to replace y'r 180 jes' plain Symmar? If the shutter is dead, it may be fixable. If not, the shutter can be replaced.

Thinking of shutters, I'm pretty sure that the shutter you showed in post #1 is a Synchro Compur #1 in Linhof dress. The easy way to check whether it is a #1 is to unscrew the cells. If the front tube is threaded M40x0.75 and the rear is M36x0.75, #1, end of discussion. #0s are symmetrical, have the same threads at both ends.

LabRat
19-Feb-2018, 17:26
I used to purchase many lenses that were plainly marked for their FL, but being scientific or military surplus, they were usually scratched in the rear cell their actual FL that was 2 or 3mm different from marked FL (even the same make/type) so expect differences...

To be exact, you would have a new lens collimated, and mill (or shim) the camera lens mounting face for the "new" FL...

Steve K