PDA

View Full Version : Deardorff help! (n00b!)

Northstar
12-Feb-2018, 03:44
Hello all,

I have recently acquired a lovely 8x10 Deardorff, having progressed from a Cambo 4x5.

My question is about the base of the camera. There is a circlular Deardorff tripod plate attachment, but the camera already has a tripod screw and they don't fit together in any conceivable way.

I feel like I'm being an idiot, but I just can't figure it out! Your wisdom is greatly received!

uphereinmytree
12-Feb-2018, 05:33
You will have to remove the tripod screw to attach the base plate. If you decide to attach the plate, carefully predrill all the screw holes of the outer perimeter. the plate isn't essential and adds weight.

chuck461
12-Feb-2018, 06:05
I believe the beds had a tendency to split at the joints. The plate is the remedy. I recommend a tripod head with a large platform to reduce stress on those joints, if you choose not to install the plate. If it were my camera, I'd wait for the problem to occur before fixing it.

Northstar
12-Feb-2018, 06:29
Ahhh thanks guys!

It makes clear sense now! I appreciate the info!

x
Danny

Tracy Storer
12-Feb-2018, 16:37
1. Earlier cameras(like yours) didn't have the plate.
2. The plate you picture looks like a fairly recent one from Barry C in TN.
3. TO install that plate, you will have to remove the original tripod mount (which mounts from the top down), and most likely enlarge the hold in the bed, and carefully drill pilot holes for all the holes in the plate.
4. probably find an experienced person to help you with this if you decide to add the plate.

Hello all,

I have recently acquired a lovely 8x10 Deardorff, having progressed from a Cambo 4x5.

My question is about the base of the camera. There is a circlular Deardorff tripod plate attachment, but the camera already has a tripod screw and they don't fit together in any conceivable way.

I feel like I'm being an idiot, but I just can't figure it out! Your wisdom is greatly received!