PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 x 8.5 cameras/negatives---who has???

Raymond Bleesz
7-Feb-2018, 14:59
Who has a 6.5 x 8.5 field camera? I have one, an Scovill Albion Field camera (1880's-90's) with its original Rochester Victor lens- which I have restored and use on occasion---however, I have had to make the following adjustments/alterations. 1. Since film of this size (Ilford) is a rarity & costly, I have resorted to using 5x7 film inserts (Rochester) in the original film holders---hence my negatives are 5x7 Ilford film. 2. Since Scovill 6.5 x 8.5 film holders are also a very rare commodity, (I have yet to see any on Ebay), I have had to resort to using Rochester 6.5 x 8.5 film holders which a woodsmith has had to slightly alter to accommodate the Scovill camera---There are some issues holding the Rochester film holders in place against the Scovill camera--some issues with the camera set at horizontal or vertical, however, I have managed to circumvent these minor issues.

I am still in the testing stages regarding the original lens---to use or not. I only have 2 Rochester film holders (4 sheets of film total), so testing is a long process.

As an alternative, I have made a lens board, and could use another lens besides the Rochester Victor lens--a modern Ilex 152mm which has produced good negatives on a 4x5 camera. I have as yet not determined which way to go regarding lenses, but since I only have 4 sheets of film, perhaps I should be using a trusted modern lens as compared to the Victor lens itself. Your thoughts?

So who is using this sized film camera/s? and your situation.

Raymond

peter schrager
7-Feb-2018, 16:05
Bought a japanese whole plate camera that came with 3 backs. Richard Ritter made me a back that works with the Chamonix holders and I bought FP4 during the Ilford special order for film. Actually quite a simple process!
Best, Peter

David Karp
7-Feb-2018, 16:43
I have a WP Improved Seneca. Years ago, Jim from Western Bellows made a new bellows for it. I have a variety of holders that are built to the Eastman "standard." I too purchase WP film during the Ilford special order period. I also own an ARCA Swiss monorail. I had a WP back built for it and Custom Bellows made a bellows that reduces to the ARCA 171 front standard. This one camera with three different back/bellows combinations gives me a 4x5, a 5x7, and a WP camera.

Jim Galli
7-Feb-2018, 16:56
I've had several, but what I kept was a whole bunch of film holders, 19 last count, and I have 2 backs that size, one fits my venerable Kodak 2D 8X10 and one fits the Century Studio #10 upstairs.

What I like about the size is that I have some rolls of aerial recon Panatomic X that I love, and when I cut that off the long roll, if I make 8X10 there's more wasted than if I cut it at 6.5 and then make a little cut to get me to the 8.5 Been shooting a lot of it lately. 6.5X8.5 is an elegant size for contact prints.

ghostcount
7-Feb-2018, 16:58
Toyo field half plate camera with a whole plate extension back and Toyo whole plate film holders. Ilford whole plate film (HP5) is a bit on the long side so I have some issues with the Toyo whole plate film holders.

David Karp
7-Feb-2018, 17:31
I've had several, . . .

My Seneca was one of them! :-)

Thanks Jim! I really like the WP format. I agree, the size makes for a nice contact print.

Jim Galli
7-Feb-2018, 18:02

Thanks Jim! I really like the WP format. I agree, the size makes for a nice contact print.

I couldn't remember if the black beauty was full plate or 5X7 :~'))

David Karp
7-Feb-2018, 18:54
You later sold me a 5x7 back for it too!

karl french
7-Feb-2018, 21:12
Whole Plate Gandolfi Universal here (and a 275mm Eidoscope on the way.) 6 holders. 2 Kodak GB holders, which are very nice and 4 scruffy Eastman holders. I have a couple boxes of 400TMY 6 1/2 x 8 1/2, but I see myself cutting down 8x10 film in future.

Hugo Zhang
7-Feb-2018, 21:21
I have two WP cameras, one of them is an Ebony one bought here and the other is a Chamonix. A few hundred sheets of expired film. Love this format for portrait with a Lanthar 30cm lens. Put the print on an 11x14 mat, just lovely to look at in your hands.

Jim Galli
7-Feb-2018, 21:24
Put the print on an 11x14 mat, just lovely to look at in your hands.

Yes!

David Karp
7-Feb-2018, 21:30
I agree. Looks great on an 11x14 mat. Not only for hand holding. Also nice on the wall in a narrow hallway.

Sal Santamaura
8-Feb-2018, 09:00
...Put the print on an 11x14 mat...

Yes!

...Looks great on an 11x14 mat...

I thought so too for a number of years. Then they started to look "pinched." Moving to 12x15 mats solved that problem. :)

Greg
8-Feb-2018, 12:43
Update since my post Whole Plate format observations. Please join in with yours. at:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?126242-Whole-Plate-format-observations-Please-join-in-with-yours&highlight=plate+chamonix

Lenses most used are my 120mm WA Nikkor, 210mm Nikkor, 355mm G-Claron, and 508mm Caltar. Have been documenting older buildings so need to use the front rise most of the time. Range of focal lengths needed cause never know how far away from the subject I will be. The 105mm Fuji SW I love but doesn't allow for movements. Sinar Bellows hood mask 2 (533.11) I use 99% of the time. Fresnel lens love to use with my reflex finder on my 4x5 but for larger formats have come to prefer viewing through a plain GG. Gave up on finding a Petzval lens for the format... one's I found were just going for too much money to justify purchasing. Newer Linhof viewfinder marked for my whole plate optics use constantly. Started to use 13x15 mats for gallery hangings. Centered openings mean that I can use the same mat for a vertical or horizontal print. For the prints that hang in our home's hallway use 11x14 mats since viewing distances in the hallway are tight. f/64 backpack to haul camera and stuff around.

David Karp
8-Feb-2018, 12:59
I use mine for landscapes. I think that probably my most used lenses are my 210mm Caltar II-N and 450mm Fujinon C. I have a 250mm f/6.7 Fujinon W and based on recent experience may find myself using it more than the 210mm. I also have a 180mm Fujinon W and a 300mm Nikkor M that get some use with the WP camera.

Steven Tribe
8-Feb-2018, 14:45
I have two. Both UK types with square bellows from around 1890 - made for book style plate holders. Lizars and F.J.Cox.

These have been in store. But as I have a large number of Petzvals made for this size and the new availability of dry plates, I will be using them this year.

David Karp
8-Feb-2018, 14:49
I thought so too for a number of years. Then they started to look "pinched." Moving to 12x15 mats solved that problem. :)

Thanks Sal. I will have to check that out.

Jim Graves
9-Feb-2018, 18:41

And, I have one of Jim's WP's too ... :-) .... great format for contact printing.

chris_4622
10-Feb-2018, 04:33

I use 13x15 mats for mine, same with 5x7. Six pieces out of a full sheet with little waste.

Emil Schildt
15-Feb-2018, 14:24
I have three Gandolfi cameras here - one Full plate - two half plate...

(I also have a homemade half plate by "Nellerød Andersen"...

wager123
15-Feb-2018, 16:12
Well I am almost ready to join all of you with a whole plate camera ! found a pair of Seneca whole plate cameras for sale as a pair only so I bought them both> I guess when they arrive I will be able to put at least one in working order tho I was told they where both in working order.. I am getting 5 holders from Sandy King and film is ordered from View Camera Store. Cant Wait to get started.
mitch

Jim Galli
15-Feb-2018, 17:36
Well I am almost ready to join all of you with a whole plate camera ! found a pair of Seneca whole plate cameras for sale as a pair only so I bought them both> I guess when they arrive I will be able to put at least one in working order tho I was told they where both in working order.. I am getting 5 holders from Sandy King and film is ordered from View Camera Store. Cant Wait to get started.
mitch

Well done. Did the Seneca's come with lenses?

Oren Grad
15-Feb-2018, 17:46
Well I am almost ready to join all of you with a whole plate camera ! found a pair of Seneca whole plate cameras for sale as a pair only so I bought them both> I guess when they arrive I will be able to put at least one in working order...

I got my own start in whole plate almost 20 years ago with a pair of Eastman No. 2 cameras - got a usable body/bellows from one of them and a usable back from the other to make a complete working camera. Still have it!

Good luck and have fun! :)

Jon Wilson
15-Feb-2018, 18:25
Recently have been able to attach my WP graflex Shutter with WP back to my V8. Looking forward to using it. Also have a Century WP camera with 3 WP glass plate holders with metal film inserts which I hope to post for sale next week.

wager123
15-Feb-2018, 21:01
no lens but I have plenty already will just need to get Richard Ritter to make me a lens board with a adapter for technika lens boards

David Karp
15-Feb-2018, 21:12
I put together a Technika-type adapter for my Seneca out of parts from my local hobby shop and Home Depot.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?26278-Whole-Plate-Madness-(with-Technika-Board-Adapter)

Richard Ritter's adapter will be nice. :-)

wager123
16-Feb-2018, 05:27
hi David
I would like to see what your board but when I go to the link there are no pictures. can you send them to me?
mitch

David Karp
16-Feb-2018, 10:25
hi David
I would like to see what your board but when I go to the link there are no pictures. can you send them to me?
mitch

I must have deleted those photos a long time ago! Here are some new pics I took today.

David Karp
16-Feb-2018, 10:29
Here are two more

The first one shows how the adapter board stands off from the Seneca board. This is because Technika-type boards are larger than Seneca boards.

The rear board mates with the Seneca like a typical Seneca board. You insert it and push it up at the top, push the bottom of the board into place, and then slide the board down to lock it into place. The adapter board and the rear board are made with modelmaker's plywood. I just painted the inside flat black and the exterior glossy black.

This was a fun project. It's not beautiful, but it works just fine.

wager123
16-Feb-2018, 17:14
look pretty darn good to me,
thanks
mitch

David Karp
16-Feb-2018, 17:52
No problem. I hope the photos are helpful.

David Karp
16-Feb-2018, 21:57
I should also add that I don't have the extension rack for my camera. I made a similar extension lensboard that allows me to use longer lenses with my Seneca. I can use my 450 Fujinon easily this way.

goamules
17-Feb-2018, 07:48
I have an old Rochester Wholeplate in beautiful condition. I don't find film very often, so don't shoot it much. Maybe I will today though! I wish I had a roll of Pan-X recon...I used to shoot it in the Navy in the 1980s.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2902/13524988795_5aea9fb380_c.jpg

Mark Sampson
17-Feb-2018, 11:00
Garrett, that looks just like an 8x10 ROC Carlton that I once owned- it was beautiful, made of the finest mahogany I've ever seen on a camera. Now I want to try shooting with this format... 6.5x8.5 contact prints sound like a perfect size.

rjbuzzclick
17-Feb-2018, 12:01
I have what I think is a Conley XV with an 11" Luxor lens. It's missing the rotating back but came with a few holders in various stages of falling apart. The bellows look good except for one tiny tear way at the base. I've used the lens on a 4x5 a couple of times and like it. Not sure what to do with the camera itself. I might convert it to a 5x7.