PDA

View Full Version : FUJINON NSW ( SW ) f:8/125mm - experiences?

Dikran
30-Jan-2018, 09:00
As I need a SWA for up to 8x10".
I consider buying the FUJINON NSW ( SW ) f:8/125mm ( will get it for a good price ... )
I didn't find much informations and reviews about this lens.
I would be very interested in hearing about your experiences.
It is the 125 mm version not the 120 mm one.
Best
Peter

Patrick Gauthier
30-Jan-2018, 10:00
there are some excellent resources from members of this forum that indicate this lens has an image circle of 280 mm @ f22 - too small for 8x10

xkaes very well organized and complete list of fujinon specs: http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/
Kerry Thalmans repository of fujinon literature http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/sw.htm

Bernice Loui
30-Jan-2018, 10:59
OK for 5x7, image circle is too small for 8x10. Image quality is similar to other brands (Schneider, Rodenstock, Nikkor) near this focal length. Not special in any way other than being 125mm focal length.

IMO, do not obsess over the Fujinon brand.

Bernice

Pere Casals
30-Jan-2018, 11:26
The circle will be at 16mm from the corner, you may crop to some 8x9" if wanting to avoid vigneting.

The other issue will be fall off, you may have some 2 stops darker image near the circle boundary if lens stopped to around f/16, and may be more than 3 stops if wide open, this is easy to guess for a wide like this. A center filter may be used...

For the rest it is a pretty good lens, of course. I've the SWD 65 and 90, for a 8x10 super wide I'm thinking (for the future) in Nikon SW 120 or 150, or SA 120.

xkaes
30-Jan-2018, 11:30
The 120mm Fujinon has a slightly larger IC of 290mm, but it is single coated and has a larger 77mm filter thread. There are other lens options for 8x10 in the 115-125mm range -- and then there always is the DREADED word -- "CROPPING".

Bernice Loui
30-Jan-2018, 11:58
120mm f8 Nikkor for 8x10 (just covers at f22) be done with it. Simply skip the Fujinons in general.

Bernice

angusparker
30-Jan-2018, 12:10
120mm f8 Nikkor for 8x10 (just covers at f22) be done with it. Simply skip the Fujinons in general.

Bernice

Agreed on this. The Nikkor allows for no movements though. The alternatives is the 150mm SSXL but that costs more than double and is not as wide.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Dan Fromm
30-Jan-2018, 15:52
Hmm. If you want a 120 that will just cover 8x10, think about looking for a 120/14 Perigraphe. David Goldfarb, who posts on Photrio, has one that SKGrimes put in shutter for him. You might ask David whether one like his will do for you. Or go for the 210/5.6 Nikon, as has already been suggested.

xkaes
30-Jan-2018, 17:01
Also consider the actual hypotenuse/diagonal of your film holders. It will be less than the hypotenuse of 8x10". That's the number you need to compare to lens image circles.

Dikran
30-Jan-2018, 17:32
@bernice loui & @xkaes: Yes I was considering that too ... my Elite film holders hypotenuse/diagonal is 315 mm ... so the 120 mm Nikkors ( 312 mm ) would work barely ...! But this would be ok for me as I don't need movement possibilities in that case

Bernice Loui
30-Jan-2018, 20:05
Been there done this with the 120mm SW Nikkor, it "just" covers 8x10 direct on-no camera movements at infinity. Place something in the foreground, or at images not at infinity, image circle is acceptable.

BTW, the Schneider 120mm f8 Super Angulon can cover at f22, infinity "just almost". Their spec image circle is a bit more conservative than Nikkor or Fujinon.

Realistically, the typical really wide for 8x10 is 150mm with the 150mm Nikkor being a very good choice and the 150mm Schneider SSXL being the modern choice (really good performer, use this on 5x7, 13-18cm as a medium wide) or the 155mm Grandagon.

Wide angle lenses for 8x10 is historically a optical difficulty for a host of reasons.

Bernice

@bernice loui & @xkaes: Yes I was considering that too ... my Elite film holders hypotenuse/diagonal is 315 mm ... so the 120 mm Nikkors ( 312 mm ) would work barely ...! But this would be ok for me as I don't need movement possibilities in that case

xkaes
31-Jan-2018, 06:37
Been there done this with the 120mm SW Nikkor, it "just" covers 8x10 direct on-no camera movements at infinity. Place something in the foreground, or at images not at infinity, image circle is acceptable.

BTW, the Schneider 120mm f8 Super Angulon can cover at f22, infinity "just almost". Their spec image circle is a bit more conservative than Nikkor or Fujinon.

This is an important point to consider with lots of lenses because manufacturers standards may or may not be yours. For four "8x10" lenses I have manufacturer info on -- at f22:

Schneider 120mm f8 -- Angle of View= 100º; IC=288mm
Rodenstock 115mm f6.8 -- Angle of View= 105º; IC=291mm
Nikkor 120mm f8 -- Angle of View= 105º; IC=312mm
Fujinon 125mm f8 -- Angle of View= 100º; IC=290mm

In short, take the manufacturer's info as a good "starting point". You might discover that their standards might be more or less than what you need or want or are willing to accept.

consummate_fritterer
31-Jan-2018, 07:55
Don't forget about the 110mm SSXL. Schneider specs it with an image circle of 288mm but many are getting acceptable results (for them) to the corners full-frame 8x10, straight on.

Bernice Loui
31-Jan-2018, 10:07
Been there tried this, the 110mm SSXL does not cover 8x10 at f22. Still own one of the first six that was hand carried from the Schenider facility in German back to US Schneider distribution by one of their sales reps. This was back in the later part of the 1990's. One of the test run was to see if the 110mm SSLX would cover 8x10, it was a resounding no. Keep in mind these test were done using 8x10 Agfa Chrome, Ektachrome film.

The choices for this focal length that is specified and designed to cover 8x10 by the manufacture is very limited.. 120mm f8 Nikkor or pressing beyond spec the 120mm f8 Super Angulon. The 125mm f8 Fujinon does not cover 8x10. Been there done this, do not believe this, purchase these lenses and do your own test.

*Know there is a significant difference between actual specified and designed in image circle of performance and image circle a given lens will project, they are not the same.

As for cropping and the drive to force a wide_er angle lens on 8x10, it would be simpler and better in many ways to go down one format size to 5x7_13x18cm allowing an entire host of widener angle lenses to be used with ease. If this is not OK, accept the very real limitations for what is designed and available for 8x10.

Bernice

Don't forget about the 110mm SSXL. Schneider specs it with an image circle of 288mm but many are getting acceptable results (for them) to the corners full-frame 8x10, straight on.

Chauncey Walden
31-Jan-2018, 14:44
The older 121 f/8 Super Angulon works well straight on.

Greg
31-Jan-2018, 17:21
Using a WA lens "straight on" with no room for mm's of movement has always eluded me. For Whole Plate I use a 105mm f/8 FUJINON SW and for 8x10 a 120mm WA Nikkor. Both do cover each of the formats but the optic has to be aligned absolutely dead center with the film. Checking the image focus in each of the 4 corners I find almost impossible to do, especially since the GG's corners are cut off leaving an open triangle in each of the corners. Then it dawned on me to use this to my advantage. First I hang onto the front of the lens a 4x5" LOGAN lightbox (very light weight and runs on AAAs). Then I stop down the lens to my working aperture (usually f/45), and see if I can see the light going through the full iris opening in each of the corners. If not than adjust the front standard till I can see it equally in all 4 corners. Does it work? Well in practice maybe 4 out of 5 times.

Was wondering how others dealt with this issue?

Bernice Loui
1-Feb-2018, 10:37
Sinar Norma, 8x10 F, P have spring detents to locate and/or markings to center the front & rear standards. Mostly a non-isssue on a Sinar.

Cut corners on the GG were intended to check for lens coverage on the GG by looking for the lens aperture once the focus and camera movements are set.

For really wide lenses like the 72mm SAXL on 5x7, knowing the image circle is very limited, camera movements used will be limited. For lenses with larger image circles, lens spec image circle is measured against camera movement used. If the required amount of camera movement exceeds the lens image circle, alter the set up as needed or pick another lens-set up and try again.

Times when wide angle lenses get pressed for required image circle appears to happen often with Architecture images and images that force foreground - back ground perspective in imaginative and creative ways. These are the reasons why a bag bellows on a rail camera like Sinar has a distinct advantage over flat bed cameras as they are far less limiting in what can be done with camera movements and these camera movements can be done with precision.

Bernice