PDA

View Full Version : Developing times HC110 (B), TMY2, SP 445 tank, Patterson 2 reel tank

Bill Poole
24-Jan-2018, 14:20
I have never used HC 110, but am trying to develop a workflow where I can mix all chemicals from concentrate for each session. (This due to a lack of space for storing jugs of premixed chems.)

I understand the mixing instructions and dilutions, but the Kodak data sheet and the Massive Development Ap vary on development times, and the data sheet has different times for tank sizes and film formats. All times are relatively short, so variance could make a difference--or maybe not. As I say, I am new to this developer.

So I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has used HC110 (B) with TMY2 at 400 ISO in either:

+4x5 in a SP 445 tank

+ 120 roll film in a Patterson 2 reel tank.

Thanks for your help.

Bill

Bruce Watson
24-Jan-2018, 15:58
I understand the mixing instructions and dilutions, but the Kodak data sheet and the Massive Development Ap vary on development times, and the data sheet has different times for tank sizes and film formats. All times are relatively short, so variance could make a difference--or maybe not. As I say, I am new to this developer.

So I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has used HC110 (B) with TMY2 at 400 ISO in either:

HC110 is, in my experience anyway, a relatively active developer that gives fairly short development times. I committed to continuous agitation early on, and found I could just get HC110 to work with 5x4 Tri-X, but dilution B gave me a time of 5 minutes; I had to go to dilution H just to be comfortable, but that's a lot of working strength developer -- hit the limit of what my Jobo tank could deal with.

When I switched to TMY2, HC110 just wasn't possible (no combinations would give me a development time I could live with), so I switched over to XTOL, which I was very happy with. But it won't solve your problem. Sigh...

But back to HC110, I doubt very much you'll be able to get a 400 EI (ISO is the result of laboratory protocols and very specific conditions, EI is the result you get in your darkroom with the developer you choose and the workflow you choose) out of TMY2 with HC110-B. Probably more like 250.

In the end, the only way to find out how much of an EI you can get from your chems/films, and what your normal development time is, is to do the testing yourself. All a site like the Massive Development Chart site (https://digitaltruth.com/devchart.php?Film=Kodak+TMax+400&Developer=HC-110&mdc=Search&TempUnits=C) can give you is starting points, because everyone works a little differently, and all the equipment used effects things a little differently.

Not the answer you wanted, no doubt, but it's what more than a decade of extensive experience and testing tells me is the correct answer. Make of that what you will.

Bill Poole
24-Jan-2018, 21:02
Well, that certainly was a complete and helpful answer, Bruce--thanks for sharing your experience. You probably saved me a lot of trouble. Will have to reconsider. Rodinal and relatives work for me as one-shots, but D76 negs look smoother to me. I was hoping that HC110 might give me the best of both worlds. Anyway -- thanks again.

Doremus Scudder
25-Jan-2018, 02:57
FWIW, the last round of Kodak adjustments to development times resulted in some ridiculously short times, which don't really jibe with reality. I suspect some error in their computations that they just couldn't or wouldn't take the time to correct. Bottom line: you'll have to test your times yourself. You can get a starting time from someone here and go from their.

HC-110 is a fine developer, but, as Bruce points out, won't get you full speed. It's no big deal to shoot at E.I. 320 or 250; it's only 1/3-2/3 stop more exposure.

As for too-short development times. HC-110 has a lot of different dilution possibilities that will allow you to get a development time that is convenient for you.

FWIW, I use HC-110 1+63 (from the syrup concentrate) for TMX 100. Normal time for me is 11 minutes, but that's for sheet film in trays and a different film...

Anyway, here's a great resource page for HC-110 that may help you: http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110/

Best,

Doremus

alexmuir
25-Jan-2018, 04:16
I use HC110 for roll and sheet films. I have been using the modified Dilution E for some time now as it gives usable times and allows easy metric measurements. E is meant to be 1+47, but I use 1+49. For 120 film in a Paterson Universal tank (1x120 or 2x35mm) I use 500ml. I develop HP5+ at EI 200 for 7 minutes at 20c. When I'm doing 4x5, with the same film, I use the MOD 54 insert for 6 sheets in a Paterson 2x120 (or 3x35mm) size tank. I think the instructions say use 900ml, but I use up to 1000ml. I looked at Massive Dev to get a starting point. I note from the chart that the time for your film is quoted against 24c and an EI of 400. Some testing, as noted above, would be needed to work out the optimum EI and time for your process. I agree that the usable EI is likely to be less than 400. The Covington Innovations link already mentioned is very helpful. There was a thread on APUG called ' HC110 made easy' which introduced me to the 1+49 variant of Dilution E. I haven't looked there for a long time, but it may be of interest if you can access the thread.
Alex

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Bill Poole
25-Jan-2018, 08:12
Doremus and Alex -- both very helpful. It sounds like increasing the exposure time slightly would allow me to use reasonable dilutions of HC110 from syrup. Will check out the links and APUG info. Thanks again.