PDA

View Full Version : Graflex Crown 4x5 focusing scales question

gclamas
19-Jan-2018, 18:35
Dear members
First, sorry for my English
I have a Crown Graphic 4x5 camera, I want to use it with different lenses, 150, 90 and 240 mainly, the question is, the bed has several focusing scales, which are seen in the photo. I would like to know for what lens each one is. Thank you for your attention.

rfesk
19-Jan-2018, 18:50
There is a number on the back of the scales that may possibly help if you can find a list of the scales. Try searching www.Graflex.org

It looks like the scales are color coded with the colored dots. Maybe, there is a matching mark on the lens or lensboard.

If I were to guess I would say the top scale in the photo is for the 240 lens, the bottom left is for the 150 and the bottom right is for the 90.
But that is only a guess.

HT Finley
19-Jan-2018, 18:51
Probably, front left rail, 150, back left rail, 90. And the one on the right rail is the 240. But I notice you only have 1 set of infinity stops. So you'll at least have to make a felt marker line for the other lenses. Chances are, the one set of stops is already set up for the 150, more or less.

gclamas
20-Jan-2018, 17:32
Thank you very much for responding to my request. I found this post on the site https://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=4887&sid=c477e6e1ed9576650586f469da3698cf
I have no marks or colors on my lenses and lensboards.
The best is the trial and error method, surely thus I will find where to trust the infinity stops for each lens.
Thank you again!

Kevin Crisp
21-Jan-2018, 06:52
Nothing to apologize for with your English!

Generally when they come with one scale it is 135 or 127, with the 127 being for the Ektar or Wollensak version of the Ektar. Sometimes for a 150 mm. The second scale is closer to the back and is almost always a 90. I have never seen one like your third scale.

Back in the day when these were the photojournalists' tool, infinity on the range finder and on the stop was set up so that you could fold down the front, pull out the lens to the first stop (for whatever lens was the one normally on the camera) and be right on the money for infinity.

As suggested, the Graflex.org folks can probably help you out. If the third scale is wrong for the 240 and you can't find a proper scale (which will be tough) then you can use the pointer on a handmade scale taped to the bed. Use the infinity stop for your basic lens, 150 or 135.

Great camera, use mine all the time with modern plasmats that allow use of the front rise.

gclamas
21-Jan-2018, 17:26
Thank you very much for your time
The top RF was dismantled long time ago to obtain a minimalism in the body
With the help provided I can surely get the correct position of the infinity stops
Best regards!

Doug Herta
21-Jan-2018, 17:36
Unscrew the scales from the rail and look at the serial number on the underside - you will probably see 30881-7 or something similar.

Go to http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/Grafscalst.gif

Look up the number on the chart - that will tell you which scale is for which focal length.

carylee2002
22-Jan-2018, 08:47
I took off all my stops on my speed graphic and just focus using a loupe and manual focus...especially when using lomography lenses.

Tin Can
22-Jan-2018, 09:08
Very useful. Thanks!

Unscrew the scales from the rail and look at the serial number on the underside - you will probably see 30881-7 or something similar.

Look up the number on the chart - that will tell you which scale is for which focal length.

alt.kafka
8-Sep-2021, 03:06

What does the "Var" column in this chart mean?

gclamas
8-Sep-2021, 17:43
Thank you all so much for your help!