PDA

View Full Version : Axial Tilt Field 8x10 Suggestions

photographyraptor
17-Jan-2018, 15:55
Ok so this one is simple yet difficult I'm looking for folding 8x10 cameras with axial tilt. The cheaper the better!

I'm familiar with Chamonix, Canham, Deardorff, and all the other big names, (I'm open to new or old its all about price/value). Right now it seems like VDS at $2,000 for a fairly light folding 8x10 with necessary movements is the leader right now, but am hoping to better that price.

I've crossed the Intrepid 8x10 off as it seems to have both user issues and long term durability problems, which was disappointing because I wouldn't be writing this post otherwise, at that $500 price point.

Anyone have any suggestions, new or old, heavy or light, just cheap, folding, and an axial tilt 8x10 that I could have missed?

B.S.Kumar
17-Jan-2018, 17:09
A Toyo 810G? Not a folding camera, but it can be compact when the standards are on a 150mm or 250mm rail. You do have to add a rail for actual use. Not light at ~8 kilos. But you can find good used examples at a reasonable price. I sold one recently for 150,000 JPY. And it has axial tilts.

Kumar

mdarnton
17-Jan-2018, 17:51
One wonders what kind of "long term durability problems" have been shown in a product that's only been made for a couple of weeks. :-( Perhaps you are listening to the wong people!

Drew Bedo
17-Jan-2018, 18:06
Back in the 1990s I had a Burk and James in 5x7 with a 4x5 reducing back. This is not a "field camera" like a Zone VI or Deardorff. It folded up well enough to pack conveniently and did have axial front tilt. It was hell-for-stout as it is said here in Texas and did everything I needed. Didn't cost too much either.

Mine was 5x7, but they were also made in 8x10. They come up in auctions from time to time.

Louis Pacilla
17-Jan-2018, 18:15
One wonders what kind of "long term durability problems" have been shown in a product that's only been made for a couple of weeks. :-( Perhaps you are listening to the wong people!

:)

ghostcount
17-Jan-2018, 18:17
Anyone have any suggestions, new or old, heavy or light, just cheap, folding, and an axial tilt 8x10 that I could have missed?

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?105580-List-of-8x10-Field-Cameras&highlight=Dperez

ic-racer
17-Jan-2018, 21:31
Shen Hao has both base and axial front tilt.

Ozzz
22-Jan-2018, 20:51
I'm a happy user of the Intrepid 8x10 and I'm not sure what's not to like if one's concern is on price. Sure it doesn't give geared shift and tilt, and its finishing isn't peer to Chamonix, but at least it gives me an opportunity to shoot 8x10 on occasions which would otherwise be undoable with my Sinar P2 outfit weighing 8kg camera-alone. I guess there's no one-stop solution when it comes to gears.

Thom Bennett
22-Jan-2018, 22:12
Kodak Master KMV

Max Grew
23-Jan-2018, 02:29
I've crossed the Intrepid 8x10 off as it seems to have both user issues and long term durability problems, which was disappointing because I wouldn't be writing this post otherwise, at that $500 price point.

Hello, Max from Intrepid here, fair enough if you have decided against an Intrepid Camera and I wont give you the sales pitch on here, however I think the problems you have heard about were an issue with a small number of the first batch, all sorted now, just involved shipping a new part to 6 people. As for long term durability issues, it is hard to say for a new product but we have had some of them out in the field for over a year and they are still working perfectly, importantly we also have not stepped too far away from our successful 4x5 design some of which are 4 years old now and showing no problems (I appreciate this is nothing for a large format camera but it is a good sign). Let me know if you have any questions about the camera and good luck in your search, http://www.stenopeika.com/ is probably worth a look.

Thanks, Max

peter schrager
23-Jan-2018, 10:00
stenopeika looks to me another overly designed machine. and it aint cheap either. go with the standard bearers like Wista or deardorff ; shen hao;and be happy. you buy cameras several times like I have. hated my 8x10 Canham...just the design wasn't for me and $3500 later..too late!
you are wise to contact someone here or on Photrio and try out their camera first. this could be a time and money saver...

Doremus Scudder
25-Jan-2018, 03:21
I'm going to jump ship here and advocate in another direction.

Unless you have a very good reason to avoid base tilts, I think you should consider cameras that only offer them on one or both standards.

Here are my reasons: First, axis tilts usually mean a heavier camera. Traditionally, field cameras had only base tilts. Some now have axis tilts on the front, but not the back standard. Your selection will be much larger if you include base tilts in your search parameters. Furthermore, many field cameras that have front axis tilts combine the lock-down knob with the rise/fall movement. This can be a bit of a PITA to deal with when using rise/fall and the front standard is out of the centering detents. You have to make sure to hold the front standard in the correct vertical position when tilting and vice-versa.

Second, and most important to me: in practice, base tilts give you more accuracy in placing the plane of sharp focus. With axis tilts, one focuses in the middle of the ground glass and then brings either top or bottom into focus. The focus spread is at most half the ground glass in vertical orientation (about 5 inches with an 8x10 camera). With base tilts, you focus at the bottom of the ground glass and tilt/refocus to bring the top into the same plane. However, you have the entire length of the ground glass between focus points, which is simply more accurate.

Dealing with base tilts is confusing for some at first, but it's really simple once you work things out for yourself. Yes, it often takes a reiteration or two, but axis tilts often require a bit of fiddling as well. For me, the process is simple: focus on a point at the bottom of the ground glass (usually the near point), tilt (front or back) till both near and far focus points are equally out of focus, refocus (shorter) to get the original focus point sharp, check the point at the top of the ground glass, repeat as needed. I'm as fast now with base tilts as with axis tilts.

An hour or so learning to deal with base tilts may open up a lot more cameras for your consideration.

Best,

Doremus