PDA

View Full Version : Current options for 95mm filters

David R Munson
17-Jan-2018, 00:01
Not exactly LF in application, but this crowd will know best. I'm going to be working on a project over the next few years, and I'll primarily be using an RZ67 with the 75mm shift lens, which takes 95mm filters. I won't need filters much as it's mostly night work, but sometimes a yellow, orange, polarizer, or ND would help make a shot happen. Is there any reasonable way to approach this? As I see it, my options are:

Filter system using 150mm resin filters and a 95mm adapter
Trolling eBay and Yahoo Auctions for miscellaneous 95mm filters
Some sort of gel filter holder and gelatin filters of an appropriate size, assuming I can find the relevant bits

Anyone here have experience using these larger filters? Any wisdom/suggestion to offer? I'm leaning toward the first option but haven't owned a filter system for fifteen years and throwing that much money at it gives me a sinking feeling. I suspect every workable option is just going to be quite expensive, so I'd like your two cents if you have it to give. Thanks!

Bernice Loui
17-Jan-2018, 00:47
A good 150mm resin filter system is not a bad option, If a stacking filter holder is used, this allows more than one filter to be applies if needed. Using a polarizer can be a problem with square resin filters due to the need for filter rotation, but this is often OK.

Have used Sinar 100mm resin filters in the past, they work, but not for M95 thread size.

Sinar made a nice 103mm glass filter system with rotating holder and polarizer years ago. These will work with M95 (adapter) but the B&W color filters have become difficult to find in recent years. This is a NICE filter system for larger lenses.

Trolling ebay for a set of M95 filters is a very reasonable option. This is likely the best performance for cost option. Do stay with know quality filter brands like B+W-Schneider, Heliopan, Hoya, Tiffen, Harrison & Harrison, Kenko others.

Bernice

Steve Goldstein
17-Jan-2018, 05:48
What's the OD of the shift lens? Lenses that take 95mm filters often have a 100mm OD, and Lee make a special slip-on holder in this size to accept their 100mm filters. This could be a less expensive path than going to a 150mm system. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/162980-REG/LEE_Filters_FK100_Foundation_Kit_100_4x4.html

Seconding Bernice, ebay is a good approach and if you're patient you should be able to find 95mm filters at reasonable prices. It took me a couple of years to put together a set for black-and-white use at an average cost of just over $40. In addition to the brands she mentioned, look for Bronica, Nikon, and Pentax - I was lucky enough to find a mint Bronica linear polarizer for $35. Watch out for super-cheap modern stuff, they're mostly made of plastic and may not be in the same optical league as Lee resins or glass.

David R Munson
18-Jan-2018, 23:19
What's the OD of the shift lens? Lenses that take 95mm filters often have a 100mm OD, and Lee make a special slip-on holder in this size to accept their 100mm filters.

You know, that's a very good point. I had one of those a long time ago when I had a 90mm SA XL. I'll have to measure it when it comes back from the shop (currently having the shutter repaired and two groups re-cemented). If that is indeed an option I'll definitely go that route for now. Will need a 150mm system eventually for digital with super-wide lenses, but would rather skip that cost for now.

angusparker
19-Jan-2018, 01:59
Lee filter system has a 95mm ring. Works well with the longer focal LF lenses I use, not sure about wide angle MF but worth a look. Pricey though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Jac@stafford.net
19-Jan-2018, 13:53
Linhof had glass 95mm screw filters and 100mm slip-ons. I lucked out and got a complete set. Very high quality!

David R Munson
19-Jan-2018, 17:07
Linhof had glass 95mm screw filters and 100mm slip-ons. I lucked out and got a complete set. Very high quality!

Very high quality indeed, I'm sure. What filters are in the complete set?

Jac@stafford.net
19-Jan-2018, 18:53
Very high quality indeed, I'm sure. What filters are in the complete set?

Basically, all the B&W contrast filters and a polarizing filter. No color correction filters. Oh, and a separate set that uses the large lens shade with slip-inside filters. Please understand that these were accumulated over thirty years, not in one lucky sweep. :)

An aside, I also put together slip-over lens shades for the Linhof Biogon 75mm, just for fun. They work on top of 100mm filters and the 95mm screw-ins.

Bernhardas
28-Jan-2018, 20:01
In my experience resin and gel filters are fine as long as there are no direct light sources in the picture.

I would try the intended shoot with a (cheap) smaller version of the intended filter, to judge the effect.

Bob Salomon
28-Jan-2018, 20:06

Yes they did, they were rebranded, standard Heliopan.

David R Munson
8-Feb-2018, 07:58
Update: I got the lens back from the shop two days ago, and I'll have to re-measure when I'm not as tired, but pretty sure the OD is 102mm, so that Lee holder probably won't work for me. I had one way back for a 90mm SA XL, and I don't remember any slop in the fit of the holder, so I doubt it would fit the 75mm shift.