PDA

View Full Version : Uranium Nitrate

ShannonG
16-Jan-2018, 13:30
Yup,so im wanting to make a uranium toner.Im looking for the powder or chunks to add to the solutions.I saw uranayl nitrate,is that the same thing?Thanks for any help

Mark Sawyer
16-Jan-2018, 14:01
Yup, same thing. I have a fair amount, and might beat the prices you're finding.

ShannonG
16-Jan-2018, 16:16
Yup, same thing. I have a fair amount, and might beat the prices you're finding.

Thanks Mark,yup I might hit ya up on that.
what formula do you use for this toner and/or tips are appreciated. I was looking at one on Unblinking Eye site but haven't really searched for a formula yet.Thanks for any help
Shannon

Mark Sawyer
16-Jan-2018, 16:22
Sorry, but I don't know much about toning or intensifying, I used it for uranium printing. Maybe someone else will chime in...

Cor
17-Jan-2018, 04:21
In the past I did some Uranium toning on FB paper, nice brown/red hue. Formula from the old literature, nothing special. BUT uranium compounds are extremely toxic (not so much the low radioactivity, but the compound by itself). I work in a lab, but when I found out that even for our lab a special permit is needed I abandoned uranium toning and disposed the left over in a proper way)

So please do research on working with uranium compounds and draw your own conclusions,

Best,

Cor

ShannonG
17-Jan-2018, 10:13
Sorry, but I don't know much about toning or intensifying, I used it for uranium printing. Maybe someone else will chime in...

Thanks,can you tell me alittle (or) links about uranium printing,,thanks agian

adelorenzo
17-Jan-2018, 11:06
Thanks,can you tell me alittle (or) links about uranium printing,,thanks agian

Some good information on this thread: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?132537-The-Uranotype-Thread

Drew Wiley
17-Jan-2018, 16:53
Uranyl nitrate is easy to get here from scientific suppliers, and there simply needs to be a minor shipping surcharge for the tiny quantites a photographer needs. It can't be mailed.

Mark Sawyer
17-Jan-2018, 18:44
Thanks, can you tell me a little (or) links about uranium printing, thanks again

Some good information on this thread: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?132537-The-Uranotype-Thread

If you check the sixth post, you'll find a couple pages of Uranotype processes from Modern Heliographic Processes. These were my starting point for uranium printing back in the 1970's/'80's. After applying my considerable education and expertise towards experimentation, modification and improvement of the historic chemistry, I found the original formulae worked best. :confused:

LabRat
17-Jan-2018, 19:12
In the past I did some Uranium toning on FB paper, nice brown/red hue. Formula from the old literature, nothing special. BUT uranium compounds are extremely toxic (not so much the low radioactivity, but the compound by itself). I work in a lab, but when I found out that even for our lab a special permit is needed I abandoned uranium toning and disposed the left over in a proper way)

So please do research on working with uranium compounds and draw your own conclusions,

Best,

Cor

Yes, and why use if there is not a specific application to use it...

If you hit the books, there is a red toner that is much safer to use, and the results are not too far off...

Another example of "just because you could, doesn't mean you should"...

Steve K

Randy
18-Jan-2018, 10:12
Everyone who has responded to this thread should expect several black SUV's to show up in their driveways at any moment.

Drew Wiley
18-Jan-2018, 11:41
Yes. It's also called "yellow cake" just like the stuff Sadaam Hussein was allegedly trying to buy. I have 100g of it in the lab. But it would take six or seven big SHIPLOADS of the stuff to make a real weapon, and my backyard simply isn't big enough to handle all that. The little bottle I have doesn't have enough radioactivity to penetrate the skin or fog a sheet of film right beneath it.