PDA

View Full Version : Gitzo o-ring seal

Joe O'Hara
16-Jan-2018, 09:08
The center column lock on my Gitzo 2530 was getting impossible to turn so I disassembled it.
It turns out that a rubber o-ring (that I suppose is there to keep dirt out of the threads) had
dissolved in the lubricating grease and the residue had fouled it all up. Evidently the Gitzo engineers
were unaware that o-rings are available in many elastomer formulations and that ordinary butyl rubber
isn't the first choice for compatibility with grease. [Insert your favorite Italian joke here.]

In any event, the o-ring doesn't seem to be a separately available item from the "gitzospares.com"
site. Does anyone know either a source for that part or the O.D. and cross-section diameter so I
can source it elsewhere?

Bob Salomon
16-Jan-2018, 09:51
The center column lock on my Gitzo 2530 was getting impossible to turn so I disassembled it.
It turns out that a rubber o-ring (that I suppose is there to keep dirt out of the threads) had
dissolved in the lubricating grease and the residue had fouled it all up. Evidently the Gitzo engineers
were unaware that o-rings are available in many elastomer formulations and that ordinary butyl rubber
isn't the first choice for compatibility with grease. [Insert your favorite Italian joke here.]

In any event, the o-ring doesn't seem to be a separately available item from the "gitzospares.com"
site. Does anyone know either a source for that part or the O.D. and cross-section diameter so I
can source it elsewhere?

Gitzo was French before it became part of the British Vinton group. Now it is made in Italy with Manfrotto.

Tin Can
16-Jan-2018, 10:02
Look at McMaster Carr

We 'made' O-rings all the time for replacements in factory, the tool crib had a kit to glue rubber strings together.

Amazing how well that worked.

Joe O'Hara
16-Jan-2018, 10:32
Thanks for the suggestion. Actually in the past I've ordered them for my water filter from an outfit called "theoringstore.com". My problem is that the old one was so disintegrated that there was no point in taking calipers to it. I'll probably just measure the groove it goes in and buy a few and see which fits best. They're cheap enough after all.

Bob Salomon
16-Jan-2018, 10:54
Thanks for the suggestion. Actually in the past I've ordered them for my water filter from an outfit called "theoringstore.com". My problem is that the old one was so disintegrated that there was no point in taking calipers to it. I'll probably just measure the groove it goes in and buy a few and see which fits best. They're cheap enough after all.

Just out of curiosity, since you and Manfrotto are both in NJ, have you tried to actually call them and ask?

Joe O'Hara
17-Jan-2018, 15:32
Tried that, it's not sold separately. No biggie, I'll just measure the parts and order a few likely candidates from The O-Ring Store.

Paul Ron
25-Feb-2018, 06:24
go to home depot in the plumbing section. they have a nice variety as well as assorted packs.

Dan Fromm
25-Feb-2018, 07:55
[Insert your favorite Italian joke here.]

Gitzo is French. Its current parent company is English.

Louis Pacilla
25-Feb-2018, 08:18
Gitzo is French. Its current parent company is English.

I thought Gitzo was purchased by Manfrotto and they moved all manufacture to Italy? Just thought I heard this but may have misunderstood.

Dan Fromm
25-Feb-2018, 08:45
I thought Gitzo was purchased by Manfrotto and they moved all manufacture to Italy? Just thought I heard this but may have misunderstood.

Lou, that may well be true but Gitzo was started in France and stayed there at least until Vitec, successor to Wm. Vinten, acquired the company. The Vitec Group's branding is quite confusing. See https://www.vitecgroup.com/about-us/our-history/