PDA

View Full Version : Exerience with Tachihara 8x10 Super Side double?

Bernard Languillier
8-Aug-2005, 21:00
Dear all,

I am looking for a reasonnably cheap 8x10 camera, and it would seem that the Tachihara is a good option since I am based in Japan.

Since I intend to trek with the camera, it would seem that the lighter double extension is the best option.

They do however sell it in 2 versions, the regular, and the SUPER WIDE. I could not find detailled spec on these cameras yet, but was wondering if anyone had used the Super Wide version, or had information on what differs with the regular type.

I searched the achieves, but could not find any comments on this topic.

Thank you in advance for your kind help.

Best regards,
Bernard

Hiro
8-Aug-2005, 23:20
Bernard,

Tachihara offers three versions of 8x10 cameras: triple-ext, dbl-ext, and Super Wide. The Super Wide is for wide-angle lenses and appears to be non-folding type, like Ebony's SW45. I doubt if you can use a lens longer then 300mm with it.

I haven't used them and don't have specs, but their website has pics. Follow the link below and click on the three green buttons under "8x10." You should be able to figure out which is which.

http://www.netlaputa.ne.jp/~tachi-ss/sub1.html

Bernard Languillier
8-Aug-2005, 23:50
ヒロさん、

役立ったィンクを教えていただいてありがとうございました。残念ながらそのサイトには仕様が乗っていないようですね。

直接にタチハラさんに連絡するしかないかもしれませんね。

とにかく助かりました。

Bernard

Hiro
9-Aug-2005, 00:18
Holy $&%#! Which planet are you from...? Ummm, yes it would be best if you contact them directly for specs. I googled but found nothing. Just in case, the top page is "http://www.netlaputa.ne.jp/~tachi-ss/" and the contact info is at "製品のご購入." Hope you find your camera.

Bernard Languillier
9-Aug-2005, 00:32
And you haven't seen my Shanganese and Korean... Just kidding, been in Tokyo for 8 years now... :-)

Thanks for checking anyway.

Are you in Tokyo area as well?

Cheers,
Bernard

Hiro
9-Aug-2005, 10:07
Been in America for...gosh, 12 years. I'll be in Tokyo during the last weekend of August.

Oren Grad
9-Aug-2005, 10:22
Hiro-san -

Thanks for posting the Tachihara link. That 8x10 glass plate holder -

www.netlaputa.ne.jp/~tachi-ss/filmholder.html (http://www.netlaputa.ne.jp/~tachi-ss/filmholder.html)

- is pretty wild. Are there really people shooting 8x10 glass plates in Japan these days? Who's making the plates?

Yorosiku...

Hiro
9-Aug-2005, 15:00
Oren-san,

Although there are seasoned pros and enthusiasts who know how to, I don't know of anyone who actually shoots plates now. I neither remember any such exhibition of modern vintage in recent years. The holder's description says (you probably understand): This item is hand-made and produced when certain number of orders are accumulated. So it appears there are a few, if occasional, glass-plate photographers. No idea how they come by the plates.

I remember reading an article about Mr. Tachihara where he was described as being quiet and apparently bored at the beginning of the interview. But when the topic of glass plates was brought up, his eyes started shining like a child and he began to talk enthusiastically... It might be a sort of pet project of his (the whole company is, for that matter).

I found a page for an exhibition of 15-year-old works (http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~ys3m-nkgw/2part201.htm) with references to Tachihara as the source of the holder (also 5x7) and Kodak for the dry plate. I am simply ignorant to figure who actually coated the "Kodak dry plates made to order" back then.

Nice product and skills to have in case of the apocalypse of films?

Oren Grad
9-Aug-2005, 16:35
I remember reading an article about Mr. Tachihara where he was described as being quiet and apparently bored at the beginning of the interview. But when the topic of glass plates was brought up, his eyes started shining like a child and he began to talk enthusiastically... It might be a sort of pet project of his (the whole company is, for that matter).

That's wonderful! Really, that could just as well be the story of the entire LF market these days - what's left of it is already, or will soon be, only those parts that are the pet projects of driven eccentrics... ;-)

Rick Moore
9-Aug-2005, 19:51
Kodak's web site still lists "KODAK T-MAX 100 PROFESSIONAL PLATE" as available in the 8x10 size.

Bernard Languillier
9-Aug-2005, 20:13
Following up on my initial question, I just called Tachihara a few minutes ago.

They will send me their catalog in a few days, but the very helpful person on the phone (possibily Tachihara san himself) confirmed me that their superwide version could only extend up to 210 mm.

This seems to be very limiting to me and I will probably go for the 8x10 double extension instead.

Regards,
Bernard