PDA

View Full Version : Extra water in color developer (E6 process)

Dhuiting
13-Jan-2018, 20:33
I accidentally put 200 ml extra distilled water in 4L total of Fuji Hunt color developer (800 ml color developer A, 800ml color developer B, and 2600 ml (should have been 2400 ml) of distilled water) and now I’m wondering if I’ve ruined it, or it will work just fine. Or maybe I just need to add a little extra in each batch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pere Casals
14-Jan-2018, 12:57
I accidentally put 200 ml extra distilled water in 4L total of Fuji Hunt color developer (800 ml color developer A, 800ml color developer B, and 2600 ml (should have been 2400 ml) of distilled water) and now I’m wondering if I’ve ruined it, or it will work just fine. Or maybe I just need to add a little extra in each batch?

IMHO it won't have any impact, perhaps it can be compensated with some extra time because the concentration missmatch.

If you have important material just take a 135mm roll, shot some test shots, open the camera in darkness and cut the film end. Develop and see, if you feel there is a faded color then try again with longuer development time. Or just develop a single 4x5 sheet of lower importance.

To check it for sure best is using E-6 Control Strips: https://www.pakor.com/fuji-control-strips-e-6-box-50-sheets , this is pre-exposed control strips. It is a good practice having your process under control by using control strips, in this way you can also measure how long can chem be re-used, and with what effects, even in the case you don't use replenishment.

Dhuiting
14-Jan-2018, 13:13
This is awesome. Thank you. Would you advise increasing the amount of solution, before increasing the time? Or just increase the time?

Also, those control strips are a wonderful idea. I looked up the company and they are about 15 minutes driving from me here in Minneapolis. Perfect! They have c41 strips as well I see. I’ll buy both. Being able to use my non-replenished chemicals twice (or even three times?) will save me a lot of money.

Pere Casals
14-Jan-2018, 14:15
Would you advise increasing the amount of solution, before increasing the time? Or just increase the time?

I'd use a proportionally higher amount of solution to use same amount of active chem, but in this case it is a 5% more.

Fuji says in the datashet: "In the Colour Developer step the solution time, temperature, pH, concentration, agitation and replenishment rate are critical in maintaining proper colour balance, contrast, uniformity and density" http://www.fujifilmeurope.be/fuji/fhvip.nsf/files/Manuals/$file/E6manual.pdf

But probably effect of that 5% missmatch (200ml in 4000ml) is lower than the effect of chem exhaustion between replenishments or if you use the chem two times. I guess that the chem is buffered to have an stable pH, so I also guess that because the lower concentration it will develop the color clouds slightly slower, needing some seconds more, but in the datasheet it says color developer bath can be from 5 to 7 minutes for process control, 5% more process time is 15 seconds, and sure the effect of those 200ml is lower than those 15 seconds.

I've always thinked that the first developer is the most critical regarding time, and color developer is the most critical regarding chem preservation overtime, at least with the tetenal E-6 I use if I had problem with the chem preservation it was with the color+bleach bath.

So, just process an strip and you'll see... it is important to be sure about what one is doing with slides.