PDA

View Full Version : Going Large w/G-Claron

John Layton
9-Jan-2018, 06:27
I'm amazed...that my (new to me) little 150mm G-Claron performs at least as well (if not even a little better at the far edges) as my 180 Companon-S when enlarging 5x7 negs to 30x40 inches. Very motivated as this lens allows me to print this size with my (vertical) Zone-6 enlarger.

The Companon, being brighter wide open, is obviously a bit easier to initially focus - and I believe is also a bit sharper than the Claron when each is wide open - but the Claron, stopped to its acknowledged "best" aperture of f/22, is stunning...and plenty bright given the high output of my Heiland LED VC unit. The Heiland's coverage is also, thankfully, more than adequate for giving even illumination - which might otherwise be a little iffy given the relatively short FL.

At any rate...maybe I'm preaching to the choir here - but I was a bit skeptical...until now!

Tin Can
9-Jan-2018, 07:20
At f22 with the Heiland enlarging 5X7 to 30X40 what are your total exposure time ranges?

High, low?

John Layton
9-Jan-2018, 11:25
Randy...as above - and printing via. split grade mode...between 25 and 35 sec. per channel for my particular (chosen to be "average") test negative...which for me is just about right in terms of allowing decent times for further manipulations/controls. Obviously individual channel times will vary tremendously going forward - depending on other variables...but my sense is that my total exposure times (both channels added) will fall between about 50 and 80 seconds at f/22 - which is very decent considering, again, that we're talking about 30x40's. This is preliminary...and I will chime in again with more info. when I start printing in earnest with this lens at this ratio.

Tin Can
9-Jan-2018, 11:43
Thanks, thats what I wanted to know.

John Layton
9-Jan-2018, 11:44
ps...the above test was undertaken sectionally - laying smaller (RC) sheets at center and a corner of what would be a 30x40 (more like 28x40 actual image size) print. Have also done a true 30x40 (28x40) as a composite...by butting 15 8x10 RC sheets together, exposing, batch processing, then laying out together. Now...I've gotta start cutting plywood to make some large trays! Actually I'm going to try a single tray...elevated with a tapered end/large spigot so I can fill and empty with chems while paper remains in one location throughout. Will save materials, space, shorten setup/cleanup, and hopefully (and most importantly) will help minimize paper creases! Not yet sure if I will leave the spigot open to allow for continuous cascade of chems, or closed to allow for tray rocking and/or brush or "massage by glove" development (moving chems around while not touching print)...or some combo of both.