PDA

View Full Version : Replacement opal glass diffusers

Leigh
8-Jan-2018, 13:00
Edmund Optics just announced replacements for opal glass diffusers, in a range of sizes.

https://www.edmundoptics.com/optics/windows-diffusers/optical-diffusers/broadband-hybrid-diffusers/?utm_source=eo&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=replacements-opal-glass-diffusers&utm_content=broadband-hybrid-diffusers&_cldee=YXRzQHNtYXJ0Lm5ldA%3d%3d

For those not familiar with Edmund...
They've been around for a long time, making a wide range of top-quality optical components.

- Leigh

ic-racer
8-Jan-2018, 13:15
I see they have a 100mm diameter filter. Just about the diameter of the long-gone Durst Atlas p3/16.

David Lindquist
9-Jan-2018, 11:23
Edmund Optics just announced replacements for opal glass diffusers, in a range of sizes.

https://www.edmundoptics.com/optics/windows-diffusers/optical-diffusers/broadband-hybrid-diffusers/?utm_source=eo&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=replacements-opal-glass-diffusers&utm_content=broadband-hybrid-diffusers&_cldee=YXRzQHNtYXJ0Lm5ldA%3d%3d

For those not familiar with Edmund...
They've been around for a long time, making a wide range of top-quality optical components.

- Leigh
Back in the mid-60's I bought a "kit" from them to make a slide projector. It consisted of a projection lens, two plano-convex lenses for the condenser, a piece of heat absorbing glass and some drawings and instructions. I remember the instructions said "While at the lathe making the lens mount, also..." Well I didn't have a lathe and only the vaguest idea of what a lathe was and what it did. But that seemed to have planted the notion that maybe someday a lathe might be a good thing to have. Without the lathe I did muddle through and had a usable if crude projector.

Maybe 15 years later I had graduated from university, served in the U.S. Army, gotten a job and eventually bought a house. Which had garage which meant a space for a shop and which soon had a lathe in it...

And in the meantime I bought a projector.

David

Jac@stafford.net
9-Jan-2018, 13:19
Edmund has been my science and optics friend since I was just a puppy.
Edmund was right up there with Red Ryder BB guns.

LabRat
9-Jan-2018, 15:27
Edmund has been my science and optics friend since I was just a puppy.
Edmund was right up there with Red Ryder BB guns.

Yea, great they have been around!!! (Though most of their early optics were good war surplus... Almost unbelievable that the govt. contracted out so many styles/parts... WWII must have been a VERY expensive proposition!!!)

Surplus Shed would be another source for NOS glass...

For enlargers that require diffusion glass (and are not too close to the hot lamp), I started using different scrap acrylic white materials instead (like under color head mixing boxes), and they work well...

Inspect any opal glass carefully before installing, as I have seen different "wave" density patterns in some pieces, as well as clear "pinholes"...

I always thought it possible to "make" different opal glasses by grinding diffusion into glass or a "dip" coating of something, but I always found some to use, before I had to re-invent the wheel... :-)

Steve K