PDA

View Full Version : Epson 10000 XL versus Epson V600

waloshin
7-Jan-2018, 13:13
The Epson 10000 XL is quite old compared to the V600 though with it's auto focusing ability, higher Dmax and larger scan bed would it be a better buy than a V600 for scanning a large photo collection? I can pickup a used 10000 XL for around the same price as a Epson V700.

Thank you for your help.

Pere Casals
7-Jan-2018, 13:45
Do you need to scan beyond 8x10" ?

If it is the case you need an A3 scanner, it looks that the 10000XL has drivers for windows 10, but ensure that...

If you only require 8x10 I'd prefer the V800, you have a warranty, and a LED illumination that needs no pre-heating and starts scanning with no delay, also needs no calibration because it's very stable over the years.

The V700/750/800/850 resolves a bit more than XL series, perhaps 2300dpi vs 2100 (optical)

Both the XL series and the V series can do Multi-Exposure http://www.silverfast.com/highlights/multi-exposure-list/en.html

If multi-exposure is not included in your Silverfast version you can purchase that feature separately, it is useful for obtaining better detail in case of very deep shadows in velvia.

waloshin
7-Jan-2018, 13:51
I will need larger than 8x10. Thank you for the quick reply!

Doug Fisher
8-Jan-2018, 09:58
The 10000XL is a great scanner. IF IF IF you can find one for a good price AND in good condition (it may need to be opened up and cleaned) it can make for a great scanner. Definitely better than a V600 and probably better than many V7xx at this point. The optics and build quality are a step above.

Doug

waloshin
8-Jan-2018, 18:55
The 10000XL is a great scanner. IF IF IF you can find one for a good price AND in good condition (it may need to be opened up and cleaned) it can make for a great scanner. Definitely better than a V600 and probably better than many V7xx at this point. The optics and build quality are a step above.

Doug

Great to hear. Thank you Doug.

waloshin
11-Jan-2018, 19:13
Just got the 10000Xl is it the graphics edition. Scans look great! But I was wondering through the Epson software how do I turn on the auto focus?

Thanks

Alan Klein
11-Jan-2018, 19:35
Epson has a support line.

waloshin
11-Jan-2018, 19:46
I have a scratch in the glass affecting the image. Can I get glass cut at a glass shop to replace the scanners glass?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1P4ill1sWVQSkKw5aXpDxaDW2iD3XQd6r/view?usp=sharing

Doug Fisher
12-Jan-2018, 09:33
Yes, if you can find a place that can actually provide high quality float glass in the right thickness that is scratch free, nick free and bubble free. You need to be very clear with them upfront about the level of inspection they need to use. Most average glass shops are not used to inspecting at such a critical level, so be upfront in order to avoid disappointment.

Doug

waloshin
13-Jan-2018, 14:32
Does anybody know the dimensions of the glass as well as how to remove it? It looks like it is taped in there?

David Karp
13-Jan-2018, 14:37
Yes, if you can find a place that can actually provide high quality float glass in the right thickness that is scratch free, nick free and bubble free. You need to be very clear with them upfront about the level of inspection they need to use. Most average glass shops are not used to inspecting at such a critical level, so be upfront in order to avoid disappointment.

Doug

If you need to replace the glass, you might talk to Steve Hopf. He makes outstanding groundglass for view cameras and understands our needs. I asked him to cut a piece of clear glass with no scratches or marks for use with a contact printing frame. He took the edge off of all the corners so it would not cut me and the glass was clear (no tint) and without imperfections. He is a member of this forum. You can PM or email him from here.

David Karp
13-Jan-2018, 17:53
I was looking for something else today and learned that Focal Point offers replacement platen glass for your scanner. http://fpointinc.com/epson.htm

waloshin
14-Jan-2018, 01:15
Thank you everyone for the help.

Bernard_L
14-Jan-2018, 01:40
I have a scratch in the glass affecting the image. Can I get glass cut at a glass shop to replace the scanners glass?

Yes, if you can find a place that can actually provide high quality float glass in the right thickness that is scratch free, nick free and bubble free.
Take the opportunity to upgrade to true AR glass. Not the hazy "anti-reflection" glass sold by framing shops, but the vacuum coated one that is virtually reflection free. Residual reflection similar to a coated lens. Not cheap. Sometimes called museum glass, although that one is also UV-blocking, which carries an extra cost, and you do not need.

waloshin
18-Jan-2018, 18:37
What would cause a scan to look like this:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PyLHHGGUn761PNeXi1N3r2Z7IU47SSL3

Is there a setting to change?

Bernard_L
20-Jan-2018, 00:44
Could you be more specific? The bright vertical streak is part of the picture, right? Are you referring to the pattern that becomes visible when zooming into your supplied picture? that is the screen pattern of the printed material; perfectly normal, and different from a photographic picture. You may have a "de-screen" option in your scanning software, in essence some form of blurring.

The screen pattern of the printing press can cause scanning artifacts such as moiré when it is only partly resolved by the scanner. But in your case the screen pattern is well resolved, and your scan file is a faithful reproduction of the original, screen pattern included.

Other than that I don't see what is wrong.