PDA

View Full Version : New 2 forum, new to LF. Lil' help...

Chips3465
6-Jan-2018, 19:31
Greetings all,
Long time 35/digital, first time LF. I picked up a Cambo SC-2 w/Fujinon W 1:5.6/135 lens. I can't get anything in focus outside of moving the rail mounting block from between the standards and narrowing the standards to the point their bases are contacting each other. I've scoured the web and YouTube for a solution with no luck. My local camera store said bringing the standards close together should make focus "infinity" and distancing them should allow normal operation. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Jac@stafford.net
6-Jan-2018, 19:46
My first guess is that rear element is either missing or a mismatch, one belonging to a different lens.

Jim Noel
6-Jan-2018, 19:58
The distance between the front supporting the lens,and the rear support for the ground glass is large enough to require the mounting block to be placed in front of the lens, or behind the ground glass. When so arranged the lens might be easily focused at infinity,or closer. This could be a normal situation,or as Jac says,the lens elements could be a mismatch.

Dan Fromm
6-Jan-2018, 20:25
The camera is assembled incorrectly. The front standard is mounted correctly, the rear standard is reversed. Separate the bellows from the rear standard, run it off the rail, remove the back, turn the standard around so that the tilt control faces the rear, reassemble.

You can find assembly instructions at http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?138978-Where-to-look-for-information-on-LF-(mainly)-lenses Hint: look for a Cambo bookmark nested inside the Modern (relatively) bookmark.

I have an SC, I've made that mistake, I've had that moment of panic.

David Karp
6-Jan-2018, 20:59
Even after changing the standards, with some lenses you might have to make another adjustment. When using shorter focal length lenses, you must place both standards in front of the mounting block. Focusing wide angle lenses requires you to move the two standards very close together. This is not possible if the block is between the standards because it reaches around and over the monorail, creating a barrier that prevents the standards from achieving the required proximity. I seem to recall that when I had one of those cameras I had to reposition the camera so that the standards were in front of or behind the mounting block when using a 125mm. It might also be true of a 135mm. It has been a long time since I had one of those, so I am not sure. For sure, if you pick up a 90mm or wider, you will have to make the adjustment.

Years ago, I wrote a review of the Calumet 45NX for the LF Home Page. It is basically the same camera as yours. There might be something in there that will be helpful to you. http://www.largeformatphotography.info/calumet/calumet-45nx.html

photonsoup
6-Jan-2018, 22:00
Looking at the photo I believe the front standard is the one to change. If you reverse the back one I don't think you can get a film holder in or out in landscape orientation. I'll look at mine tomorrow no see.
There's also recessed lens boards of various depths to get the lens closer to the back

BrianShaw
6-Jan-2018, 22:33
Looking at the photo I believe the front standard is the one to change. If you reverse the back one I don't think you can get a film holder in or out in landscape orientation. I'll look at mine tomorrow no see.
There's also recessed lens boards of various depths to get the lens closer to the back

Yes. If you do this you won’t need both standards on same side of tripod block until 90 or shorter. 90 just barely works on both sides unless bag bellows in place.

Vaughn
6-Jan-2018, 23:08
I found this image which has changed the front standard, along the lines of what Dan was suggesting (I think):

http://www.bilder-hochladen.net/files/cw3i-9.jpg

Alan Gales
6-Jan-2018, 23:40
Yes. If you do this you won’t need both standards on same side of tripod block until 90 or shorter. 90 just barely works on both sides unless bag bellows in place.

My first large format camera was a Cambo SC 4x5. I put a 90mm on it and couldn't focus it. I then tried Google and found that both standards have to be on the same side of the block. Like you say, it barely works without a bag bellows.

Chips3465
7-Jan-2018, 02:35
You were spot on, Sir. Reassembled the front standard and can focus now. Thank you!

Chips3465
7-Jan-2018, 02:36
Very useful review. Thanks, David.

Chips3465
7-Jan-2018, 02:40
Thanks to all for your valuable input. I have achieved focus and will explore the others suggestions offered.

BrianShaw
7-Jan-2018, 08:26
My first large format camera was a Cambo SC 4x5. I put a 90mm on it and couldn't focus it. I then tried Google and found that both standards have to be on the same side of the block. Like you say, it barely works without a bag bellows.

It gets a little easier with a recessed lens board. But then one needs skinny fingers...

Bag bellows is the only way to go with 90 and shorter!